S-80: The New Spanish Submarine

Templario

S-80 Submarine

(4 units have been ordered by the Spanish Navy and are actually under construction. Another 2 units are possible to be ordered as well).

Specifications

Kind of submarine: SSK
Displacement (Surface): 2.200 t
Displacement (Submerged): 2.426 t
Length: 71,05 m
Beam: 11,68 m
Draught: 6,02 m
Propulsion:
  • 3 diesel engines
  • 1 electric engine
  • 1 AIP reactor
Speed (Surface): 12 knots
Speed (Submerged): 19 knots
Range:
  • 50/60 days of navigation in surface
  • 20/30 days of navigation submerged at 4 knots
Complement:
  • 3 Officers
  • 4 Subofficers
  • 25 sailors
  • 8 Special Forces soldiers
Armament:
  • 6 x 533mm torpedo launchers
  • DM2/A4 Torpedos
  • Mk48 Torpedos
  • Sub-Harpoon Block II missiles
  • Tomahawk TacTom Cruise missiles (range about 1600 km)

Some pictures:

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/5802/dsc09607rf4jb1.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/rgc/S-80A.jpg

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/policy/vision/vis02/p100-a.gif

http://www.martinfrost.ws/htmlfiles/july2008/tomahawk_missile.jpg

* S-81 Under construction. To be delivered in 2013
* S-82 Under construction. To be delivered in 2014
* S-83 Aproved. To be delivered in 2015
* S-84 Aproved. To be delivered in 2016
* S-85 Planned
* S-86 Planned

Last edited:

Templario

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Will it really be delivered?
What do you refer to?
The S-80 submarine or the Tomahawk cruise missile?

BOTH will be delivered.
The 2 first S-80 have already been under construction since 1 year.

There are not many photos about de construction, as many systems are "secret" and it's FOBIDDEN to take pictures, but here you can see some photos when the construction started in Navantia's factories:

http://www.infodefensa.com/esp/galeria/album.asp?page=&num=2&cat=1&numero=4

As the construction advances we will see something like this soon ;)

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/images/SHIP_SSK_Scorpene_OHiggins_Final_Construction_lg.jpg

Tomahawk cruise missiles for the Spanish navy?
Of course.
They were ordered about 5 years ago, and the Pentagon said "Yes".
We want the Tactom to equip our S-80 submarines and our F-100 frigates.
The first lot is about 60 missiles.

Here you can see an official note from the Spanish Defence Ministry:
http://www.mde.es/Noticias?id_nodo=4071&accion=1&id_noticia=5466

Some news about it in Spanish press:
http://www.20minutos.es/noticia/143779/0/compra/misiles/tomahawk/

If you want more information just write in google "España tomahawk" ;)

Sub-Harpoon Missiles probably..
ALSO Sub-Harpoon Missiles :D

SSC or SSK?
SSC? A 2400 tons submarine??? :eek:nfloorl:

It's a SSK, or SSI if you want to call it.
SSI: Attack Submarine (Diesel Air-Independent Propulsion)

2012 for NATO..
I don't understand what you mean

Last edited:

Templario

Nice...may I ask what's a main differences with basic scorpanes..??
Well .... the main difference between S-80 and Scorpenes is that they are DIFFERENT SUBMARINES :eek:nfloorl:

The Scorpene was a joint-venture between Navantia and DCNS, but the S-80 is a 100% Spanish project.

The S-80 is 2426 tons of displacement whereas the Scorpene is 1668 tons of displacement.
Therefore a S-80 is over 45 % bigger than a Scorpene.
Maybe they have some external similarities, in the shape and so (let's remember that Scorpene was a Spanish-French project), but inside they're totally different submarines.

The S-80 has a new Hydrogen AIP reactor developed by a Spanish Company called "Abengoa".
The CIC is equiped with Spanish systems of "Sainsel" (Another Spanish Company).
Many other systems are developed by Spanish Companies and are totally different from the Scorpene ones.
Some systems are foreign, like the combat system, which is american (the same of "Los Angeles" type).

Well, we're talking about 2 different submarines ;)

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Well .... the main difference between S-80 and Scorpenes is that they are DIFFERENT SUBMARINES :eek:nfloor
l:

My bad:D
The info that i have seems indicated than S 80 is modified scorpene..
But from what you show than the differences quite significance.. I thought the case between the scorpene and S 80 is like brazilian tupi with 209.

Thanks for the clarification

macman

A few questions...

From the photo, it looks like it has 4 vertical launch tubes - is this right?
Also, any info on how many torpedo's/missiles it can carry?

Thanks.

Templario

l:

My bad:D
The info that i have seems indicated than S 80 is modified scorpene..
But from what you show than the differences quite significance.. I thought the case between the scorpene and S 80 is like brazilian tupi with 209.

Thanks for the clarification

But my dear friend, the S-80 is not a Scorpene modification.
The S-80 is a different submarine, with a different design and with a different program.
Maybe some of its technology is based in any Scorpene design, but it doesn't mean the S-80 is a modified Scorpene, that's a totally joke :eek:nfloorl:
S-80 and Scorpene are different programs.

A few questions...

From the photo, it looks like it has 4 vertical launch tubes - is this right?
Also, any info on how many torpedo's/missiles it can carry?

Thanks.
No, it hasn't got vertical launchers. I don't know what those things exactly are, but they're not vertical launchers.

The Tomahawk missiles will be launched by the torpedo tubes.

Information about the amount of torpedos and missiles is not available yet. Some information about the submarine is secret.

Cheers

riksavage

Banned Member
I was under the impression that the current Tac-Tom could only be launched vertically? I know the UK and US are purchasing Tomahawk Block IV cruise missiles from Raytheon for their 533mm torpedo tubes. One assumes the Spanish will be going for the same version.

kev 99

I was under the impression that the current Tac-Tom could only be launched vertically? I know the UK and US are purchasing Tomahawk Block IV cruise missiles from Raytheon for their 533mm torpedo tubes. One assumes the Spanish will be going for the same version.
Tac Tom is block 4, the Raytheon have developed a variant for torpedo tube launch which has been delivered to the RN and is now in service.

Firn

Este modelo, bautizado por su fabricante, la compañía norteamericana 'Raytheon', como el 'Tomahawk Táctico' o 'TacTom', tiene un coste estimado de unos 700.000 dólares, bastante menor que las versiones anteriores al estar dotado de un motor de propulsión más económico.
This should settle it even for people who sadly can not speak spanish :)

El Sistema de Combate del Submarino S-80 incluye :

* Capacidad de lanzamiento de misiles de intervención en tierra a larga distancia.
* Sistemas de comunicaciones por satélite y enlace de datos Link, para integración en la Fuerza.
* Sensores acústicos de corto, medio y largo alcance que permitan la detección, clasificación, aproximación y ataque a unidades de superficie, submarinos y tráfico mercante, detección de minas y otros obstáculos.
* Medios de detección visuales, optrónicos (todo tiempo) y electromagnéticos que le permitan llevar a cabo, de forma discreta, la aproximación, el ataque, la evasión y las operaciones de obtención de inteligencia.
* Medios de ayuda a la navegación que permitan operar con la precisión que exigen determinados cometidos.
* Torpedos pesados de doble propósito y largo alcance, misiles antibuque y minas.
I thought that the medios electromageticos might actually be a very nice capability. From the spanish armada

We will see how good the S-80 gets..

Firn

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv7k0Codn0M"]Construccion del segundo submarino[/ame]

The construction of the new spanish submarine - very nice video.

Firn

Thanks a lot.

Asimismo, recordó que la primera unidad de la serie será entregada a la Armada española en el mes de diciembre de 2013. Un año más tarde, se procederá a la entrega del segundo, siete meses después se hará lo propio con el tercero y para que la Marina reciba el cuarto submarino deberán pasar otros siete meses más.

"Antes del verano del año 2016, estará la serie completa y en manos de la Armada", subrayó.

El modelo S-80 es el primer submarino de diseño exclusivamente español. Tiene 71 metros de eslora y se distingue por su elevada autonomía bajo el agua y por ser muy silencioso. Su equipamiento y sistemas tecnológicos lo convierten en el más avanzado de los submarinos convencionales.
While I don't think we can yet say how "good" it will turn out it is certainly a very interesting project. I wonder if they are able to deliver on schedule, as it is the first submarine of exclusive spanish design.

Alonso Quijano

everything that is good for now is on paper ...
Navantia but has experience with scorpenes and all capacities to think give the S-80 will certainly surpass scorpene.
The French are not very happy with that ...

I believe that if the S-80 arriving in time for the last scorpene Malaysia is already evidence of water and soon cartagena just for the construction of the S-80. Spain is introducing the S-80 in competitions such as the Australia, India and Turkey, I imagine that the sooner you will have done much better for future contracts.

Firn

everything that is good for now is on paper ...
Navantia but has experience with scorpenes and all capacities to think give the S-80 will certainly surpass scorpene.
The French are not very happy with that ...

I believe that if the S-80 arriving in time for the last scorpene Malaysia is already evidence of water and soon cartagena just for the construction of the S-80. Spain is introducing the S-80 in competitions such as the Australia, India and Turkey, I imagine that the sooner you will have done much better for future contracts.
I agree we have to wait and see. Overall I like the aspiration behind the design very much. We will also have to see if it is able to win the favour of foreign navies. Turkey , Pakistan and seemignly are very likely already getting the U214 and Australia will develop a indigenous design. India certainly could be an attractive market.

orko_8

I agree we have to wait and see. Overall I like the aspiration behind the design very much. We will also have to see if it is able to win the favour of foreign navies. Turkey , Pakistan and seemignly are very likely already getting the U214 and Australia will develop a indigenous design. India certainly could be an attractive market.
S-80A, together with French Scorpene lost the competition against Type 214. The contract, covering local production of 6 Type 214TN's was signed last week.