Affordable AWACS

Destroyer

About the S 100B Argus
Manufactuer: Saab Aircraft AB
Airframe: Based on the Saab 340B twin turbo-prop commuter aircraft.
Power plant: Two General Electric CT7-9B turboprop engines with four-blade, constant-speed propellers.
Horsepower: 1,394-kw (1,8070-shp) per engine.
Length: 60 feet 4 inches (20.46 meters).
Wingspan: 70 feet 4 inches (21.44 meters).
Height: 22 feet 11 inches (6.97 meters).
Radar: Ericsson Erieye PS-890 S-Band, frequency-agile, pulse-Doppler radar system.
Nicknames: "Argus"
Primary function: AEW
Operational: November 1997
Rotodome: A 1,984-lb (900-kg) dorsal antenna is housed in a 29-ft 6.3-in (9-m) long box radome mounted atop the fuselage.
Maximum takeoff weight: 29,000 lb (13,155 kg)
Maximum speed: 250 knots (463 km/h).
Aircraft Ceiling: 31,000 feet (9,450 meters).
Operating Altitude: 25,000 feet (7,620 m)
Endurance: 7 hours
Range: (unknown)
Radar range: 190 nm (350 km) for a fighter sized target with an outer detection range of 280 to 310 nm (450 to 500 km)
Armament: None
Crew size: Between two to five aircrew.

kilo_4que

Bro that is not affordable at all. Thats y I never mentioned it in the other post. For Pakistan, they need not concentrate on such Awacs, also this AWACS system would not fullfil their requirements.

Azmat

The plane is an AEW system and notan AWACS aircraft. AWACS are better as they have a coordinating system on board. AEW is short for Airborne Early Warning, whereas AWACS is Airborne Warning and Control System.

I think the difference is obvious when comparing their names.

The AEW cannot coordinate fighter squadrons to attack certain targets, they can only warn squadrons/ground control of targets attacking.

mmalam

Hey , yesterday i was looking on Ukrainian based Radar for Aeroplanes. It had a range of 300 kilometers. I wonder why we dont consider that.

Destroyer

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wow you know Johnny Brave(mmalam) that ain't such a bad idea since now America and alot of countries have turned their back on us, Ukraine has stuck with us and I think we should try to get the most out of this mutual relationship before they too changes their view on us, just like the yanks.