Go Back   Defense Technology & Military Forum > Global Defense & Military > Navy & Maritime
Forgot Password? Join Us! Its's free!

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces






Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures

Miramar_14_MV-22_1965a.JPG

Miramar_14_MV-22_0358a.JPG

Miramar_14_GR4_1646a.JPG

Miramar_14_LF_0221a.JPG
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence







Recent Photos - DefenceTalk Military Gallery





Russian Navy Discussions and Updates

This is a discussion on Russian Navy Discussions and Updates within the Navy & Maritime forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; are you sure that's for Onyx? I mean I don't know what those ASW missile launchers look like. Yeas. If ...


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.40 average.
Old September 8th, 2008   #16
the corporal
Master Sergeant
Gollevainen's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: somewere in Hame, Finland
Posts: 335
Threads:
Quote:
are you sure that's for Onyx? I mean I don't know what those ASW missile launchers look like.
Yeas. If you compare the two different VLS system, the one more closer to the bow is for the SAM system based most likely around 9M96 missiles (32 carried) and the one's behind are for much larger missile which cannot be other than Onix. Medvedka (RPK-9) which is sometimes linked to this design is small missile, far smaller than the 9M96 so it wont be launched from VLS which has bigger tubes than the SAM system.

And one should note that all the preminary drawings and models of the pr. 2235 only places VLS to the bow, there is no room for additional VLS in other parts of the ship.
________________
Once Gollevainen was biten by snake....

...after ten days of suffering the snake died
Gollevainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008   #17
Senior Member
Major
nevidimka's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,002
Threads:
The Kutznetsov is going to go to the Mediterranean again. Its heading to Tartus after Syrian leader said he was open for a Russian Navy base there, and wants Missile defence be built in Syria.

http://www.barentsobserver.com/russi...333-58932.html
nevidimka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008   #18
Banned Member
Captain
No Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 763
Threads:
Post

They could probably go to the Black Sea as well- I don't think there would be any restrictions for them, as it's not a true carrier (official designation-TAKR), and Russia is a Black Sea nation. The writing is on the wall for Ukrainian nationalists!

Quote:
Russia to send naval squadron, planes to Venezuela
http://wiredispatch.com/news/?id=335431

..the Peter the Great missile cruiser and three other Russian navy ships would visit Venezuela before the year's end, and would be joined by a unit of long-range anti-submarine patrol aircraft.
He did not say how many planes would be sent, but said they would be "temporarily based at one of Venezuela's air bases."
Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez had announced the maneuvers in his Sunday television and radio program, saying the Russian vessels would call on Venezuelan ports in late November or December.
Firehorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008   #19
Defense Professional / Analyst
Captain
Salty Dog's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Brazil
Posts: 799
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse View Post
They could probably go to the Black Sea as well- I don't think there would be any restrictions for them, as it's not a true carrier (official designation-TAKR), and Russia is a Black Sea nation. The writing is on the wall for Ukrainian nationalists!

Quote:
Russia to send naval squadron, planes to Venezuela
http://wiredispatch.com/news/?id=335431

..the Peter the Great missile cruiser and three other Russian navy ships would visit Venezuela before the year's end, and would be joined by a unit of long-range anti-submarine patrol aircraft.
He did not say how many planes would be sent, but said they would be "temporarily based at one of Venezuela's air bases."
Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez had announced the maneuvers in his Sunday television and radio program, saying the Russian vessels would call on Venezuelan ports in late November or December.
With the noise in South America about the US 4th Fleet, I wonder what will be said about the Russian Squadron coming down from even a longer way off. Pres Chavez and Russia will have some justification I'm sure.

Having a Kirov BCGN in the South Atlantic should turn a few heads. With (3) other ships at least one will be a refueling tanker and I wonder if there will be a SSN in the group.

A big concern will be if the BCGN can make it down and back without breaking down. The Med cruise had her within a days steaming to any port, but an Atlantic crossing will see a different story. Good thing they plan to steam down at the tail end of hurricane season.
Salty Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008   #20
Banned Member
Captain
No Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 763
Threads:
Exclamation

Actually, even if reactors break down, the auxiliary diesel plant will get BCGN home.
Good training for them and a chance to show those long range AD missiles! Perhaps Chavez will ask for S-300!

Quote:
Russia ships to join Venezuela naval exercises in Caribbean
Four Russian vessels and 1,000 Russian military personnel are to participate.
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...,7210282.story

Last edited by Firehorse; September 8th, 2008 at 09:41 PM. Reason: add link
Firehorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008   #21
Defense Professional / Analyst
Captain
Salty Dog's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Brazil
Posts: 799
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse View Post
Actually, even if reactors break down, the auxiliary diesel plant will get BCGN home.
Good training for them and a chance to show those long range AD missiles! Perhaps Chavez will ask for S-300!
Main propulsion on a Kirov is steam turbine. It also has turbogenerators and GT generators. Perhaps it may have a diesel generator, but that would be good only for emergency lighting.

No steam, no shaft, . . . it gets towed.
Salty Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008   #22
Senior Member
Major
nevidimka's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,002
Threads:
So the Kutznetsov is heading for the Mediterranean, and the Kirov is heading to Venezuela. So that leaves the recently back in service Nakhimov to lead the North fleet then.
See how having more capable ships in the navy makes Russia more flexible. LOL.

And on the Kirov, I believe once repairs and upgrades are done, hey shouldnt have problems with travelling anywhere they want? Why this perception that they will face trouble with their reactors?
nevidimka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008   #23
Defense Professional / Analyst
Captain
Salty Dog's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Brazil
Posts: 799
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevidimka View Post
And on the Kirov, I believe once repairs and upgrades are done, hey shouldnt have problems with travelling anywhere they want? Why this perception that they will face trouble with their reactors?
Even if there would be a problem with the reactors. The BCGNs have a secondary steam generating plant of fuel oil boilers. Enough to continue the transit and operations.

AFAIK, even in their heydey, the Kirov class BCGNs never made any trans-Altantic nor trans-Pacific cruises. I am by no means dooming the PTG for failure, just a bit skeptical that it will happen trouble free. In fact it would be great for the PTG group to make the entire cruise trouble free. This will bring a tremendous boost to confidence and morale in the Russian Navy.
Salty Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008   #24
Super Moderator
General
Feanor's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Under your bed. No seriously, take a look.
Posts: 13,153
Threads:
Indeed. I wonder if these joint exercises are meant to help the Venezuelans make up their mind on the Il-76/78 deal, and the proposed submarine and fighter jet deals. The issue of course is that the Venezuelans want the Amur class, but Russia wants to sell them the iirc Kilo class.
Feanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008   #25
Defense Professional / Analyst
Captain
Salty Dog's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Brazil
Posts: 799
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
Indeed. I wonder if these joint exercises are meant to help the Venezuelans make up their mind on the Il-76/78 deal, and the proposed submarine and fighter jet deals. The issue of course is that the Venezuelans want the Amur class, but Russia wants to sell them the iirc Kilo class.
IMHO Venezuela will buy any Russian military hardware (or Chinese for that matter) regardless if a military exercise is held or not. The purchases are mainly driven by the President Hugo Chavez's personality more than anything else.

This is going off topic and perhaps should be in a Venezuela discussion thread.
Salty Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008   #26
Defense Professional / Analyst
Captain
Salty Dog's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Brazil
Posts: 799
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
Having a Kirov BCGN in the South Atlantic should turn a few heads. With (3) other ships at least one will be a refueling tanker and I wonder if there will be a SSN in the group.

A big concern will be if the BCGN can make it down and back without breaking down. The Med cruise had her within a days steaming to any port, but an Atlantic crossing will see a different story. Good thing they plan to steam down at the tail end of hurricane season.
Looks like of the (3) escorts, one may be a "fleet tugboat" and a second (IMHO) would be a refueling tanker. That leaves just one more slot for a warship.

Russian naval visit doesn’t bother DoD
Salty Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008   #27
Entertainer
General
Grand Danois's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: CPH
Posts: 3,297
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
Looks like of the (3) escorts, one may be a "fleet tugboat" and a second (IMHO) would be a refueling tanker. That leaves just one more slot for a warship.

Russian naval visit doesn’t bother DoD
The second warship would be Admiral Chabanenko, an Udaloy II destroyer.

WRT the fleet tug. The USN uses such as well. They're just already stationed in theatre, so it makes sense for the Russians to bring one along. But still, last time PtG went to sea...
________________
"Of course, the whole point of a Doomsday Machine is lost, if you keep it a secret! Why didn't you tell the world, eh?"
Grand Danois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008   #28
Super Moderator
Brigadier General
AegisFC's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,863
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
Looks like of the (3) escorts, one may be a "fleet tugboat" and a second (IMHO) would be a refueling tanker. That leaves just one more slot for a warship.

Russian naval visit doesn’t bother DoD
Already posted that in the Kirov thread.

But I love the fact they are bringing a fleet tug, I guess they have no faith in their ships and their material condition.
________________
"The beatings will continue until morale improves."
Forum rules, read them!
AegisFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2008   #29
Super Moderator
General
Feanor's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Under your bed. No seriously, take a look.
Posts: 13,153
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AegisFC View Post
Already posted that in the Kirov thread.

But I love the fact they are bringing a fleet tug, I guess they have no faith in their ships and their material condition.
Does anyone? After all it's a trans-Atlantic voyage and the first one in a long long time. I'm surprised and impressed it's happening at all. Not to mention that the Kuznetsov is going on another Mediterranean cruise.
Feanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2008   #30
Defense Professional / Analyst
Captain
Salty Dog's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Brazil
Posts: 799
Threads:
A flight of two Tu-160 Blackjack bombers have flown to Venezuela escorted by NATO fighters.

Quote:
Russian strategic bombers land in Venezuela

21:58 | 10/ 09/ 2008

MOSCOW, September 10 (RIA Novosti) - Two Russian Tu-160 Blackjack strategic bombers have landed at a military airfield in Venezuela, Russia's Defense Ministry said on Wednesday.

The Tu-160 Blackjack is a supersonic, variable-geometry heavy bomber, designed to strike strategic targets with nuclear and conventional weapons deep in continental theatres of operation.

The bombers will conduct a number of training flights over neutral waters in the next few days and later return to their home base in Russia, the ministry said in a statement.

The planes landed at Venezuela's Libertador airfield and during the flight to the South American country were accompanied by NATO fighters.

"The flight itinerary extended over neutral waters in the Arctic and Atlantic oceans. The Russian bombers were accompanied by NATO fighters," the statement said.

Russia earlier announced it would send a naval task force from the Northern Fleet on a tour of duty in the Atlantic Ocean and participate in joint naval drills with the Venezuelan navy in November.

Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez said on September 1 that Venezuela welcomed the Russian Navy and Air Force on its territory.

"If the Russian Navy arrives in the Caribbean or the Atlantic it may certainly visit Venezuela, we have no problems with that and would warmly welcome it," Chavez said.

"And if Russian long-range bombers should need to land in Venezuela we would not object to that either. We will also welcome them," he said.
Salty Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:12 AM.