Go Back   DefenceTalk Forum - Military & Defense Forums > Global Defense & Military > Navy & Maritime

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces






Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence


RSN capabilities

This is a discussion on RSN capabilities within the Navy & Maritime forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; Originally Posted by luv2surf @SGMilitary Do you have any links re: 30mm and Mistral,Penguin and the Harpoon BlockII Models of ...


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old July 5th, 2007   #16
Junior Member
Private First Class
kotay's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: N 2˚31.12' E130˚58.54'
Posts: 87
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2surf View Post
@SGMilitary
Do you have any links re: 30mm and Mistral,Penguin and the Harpoon BlockII
Models of the Formidable Frigate displayed by ST Marine show a non-penetrating gun mount on both rear corners above the hangar. It is quite conceivable that they could mount a Typhoon CWS (Oto Melara 30/40mm gun). Given that the Typhoon is already in service with the RSN and that there is a Typhoon GSA mount with integrated MANPAD rails ... it's entirely plausible. Although whether it's a Mistral or 6 missiles per gun mount ...

The RSN has also ordered S-70Bs for their Formidables. Since the Penguin is the stated primary AShm missile for the Seahawks, that is a possibility. Another lesser possibility may be the Sea Skua.
kotay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2007   #17
Senior Member
Colonel
No Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,467
Threads:
Re:

Deleted

Last edited by weasel1962; October 19th, 2008 at 12:24 AM.
weasel1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2007   #18
Defense Enthusiast
Master Sergeant
No Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 308
Threads:
Quote:
I think that the chances of the Formidables being fitted for the Aster 30 are pretty slim,two reasons 1 :Why wouldn't they have fitted them with the A50 and only ordered the Aster 15 (for the time being)
The other reason being operational requirements.
When the Formidables were ordered the A50 launchers were not ready. I remembered they were still being tested. Also, as some other people have already mentioned, what are the Aster 30s exactly going to shoot amongst the SEA nations ? My opinion is that the Aster 15s are sufficient for the time being. But then again it depends on the threat scenario. If everyone in SEA jumps on the Bhramos/Khs band-wagon, you can be certain that Aster 30s will be acquired. As it is, even the Malaysians are getting the ESSMs. So, obviously the threat environment warrants it in the opinion of the RMN. Or that it has become necessary for navies in the region to up the ante with respect to anti-air missiles.

Actually, there is space in the hull to plant the A50 launchers or even the A70/Mk 41 launchers. This is not a small boat at 3200 tonnage which requires less than 60-70 men to operate. You can also see it from the dimensions. In fact, they have even carved out space on the deck to fit in a 127 mm gun in the future. It is very much in line with the RSN`s way of upgrading the systems later on. An example is the Victory class line of ships.

In my conversations with the RSN staff during the latest open house, it is mentioned that the ships can/will be upgraded with more/better/long range missiles/weapons in the future. A more interesting comment made is that the RSN is looking at acquiring weapons to shoot down enemy platforms from huge distances to protect RSN ships because Singapore could not afford to lose men and equipment as readily as other countries given our size.

Interestingly, the latest stealth ship designs by ST Marine feature larger ships with more vls cells. The Victory class corvettes are due for replacements next decade. So, it is something very interesting to me to keep an eye on. The trouble with Singapore procurement is that you will know about it only very late in the process. Cheers

Last edited by Red; July 8th, 2007 at 01:03 AM.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2007   #19
Defense Enthusiast
Corporal
nero's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 172
Threads:
Wink NSM from KDA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotay View Post
Models of the Formidable Frigate displayed by ST Marine show a non-penetrating gun mount on both rear corners above the hangar. It is quite conceivable that they could mount a Typhoon CWS (Oto Melara 30/40mm gun). Given that the Typhoon is already in service with the RSN and that there is a Typhoon GSA mount with integrated MANPAD rails ... it's entirely plausible. Although whether it's a Mistral or 6 missiles per gun mount ...

The RSN has also ordered S-70Bs for their Formidables. Since the Penguin is the stated primary AShm missile for the Seahawks, that is a possibility. Another lesser possibility may be the Sea Skua.
.


KDA's successor to the penguin will be the Naval Strike Missile (NSM), scheduled to be offered from 2007 onwards. NSM will feature an imaging IR-seeker, GPS navigation, a turbojet sustainer engine (for much longer ranges: 150+ km), and significantly more computer performance and digital signal processing power.

NSM is the only fourth generation missile in existence as per today. Already chosen by the Royal Norwegian Navy for its new Frigates and fast Patrol Boats, NSM will be fully operational on these new ships when they enter service in 2007.

Modern warhead ensures effectiveness equal to a much larger missile.
Weight: approx. 400 kg.
Range: in excess of 150 km.
Platforms: Ships, trucks, armoured vehicles, and airborne weapon carriers.
Designed for littoral waters as well as open sea scenarios. (The advanced design allows the missile to fly around and over landmasses.)

Made of composites, the NSM will be the world's most sophisticated stealth strike missile. Advanced design technology has minimised the missile's signature. Its excellent sea-skimming ability and random manouvres in the terminal phase make it virtually impossible to stop. The imaging infrared seeker is completely passive. Target selection is at the forefront of new technology. That provides NSM with a substantial capacity for autonomous detection and recognition of targets - at sea or on land.


.
nero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2007   #20
Defense Enthusiast
Corporal
nero's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 172
Threads:
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by contedicavour View Post
Interesting. So eventually the Victory big FACs (calling them corvettes is a bit of a stretch) will be replaced by enlarged Delta/Lafayette... or why not even an adapted version of FREMM with Aster-30 ?

Vs the SSKs, the 2 exported Gotlands are recent, but the Sjoormen are very old (early '70s) so they will need to be replaced soon.

cheers
.

any news on the Gotland-class SSKs ??

there was talk about an improved-variant of gotland of being built

what happened to that ??



.
nero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2007   #21
Junior Member
Private First Class
No Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Norway
Posts: 52
Threads:
It's always been more or less a formality, but the Norwegian ministry of defence has now signed a contract with Kongsberg for delivery of this missile to the Nansen Frigates and Skjold Patrol Boats.The NSM will thus now go into production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero View Post
.


KDA's successor to the penguin will be the Naval Strike Missile (NSM), scheduled to be offered from 2007 onwards. NSM will feature an imaging IR-seeker, GPS navigation, a turbojet sustainer engine (for much longer ranges: 150+ km), and significantly more computer performance and digital signal processing power.

NSM is the only fourth generation missile in existence as per today. Already chosen by the Royal Norwegian Navy for its new Frigates and fast Patrol Boats, NSM will be fully operational on these new ships when they enter service in 2007.

Modern warhead ensures effectiveness equal to a much larger missile.
Weight: approx. 400 kg.
Range: in excess of 150 km.
Platforms: Ships, trucks, armoured vehicles, and airborne weapon carriers.
Designed for littoral waters as well as open sea scenarios. (The advanced design allows the missile to fly around and over landmasses.)

Made of composites, the NSM will be the world's most sophisticated stealth strike missile. Advanced design technology has minimised the missile's signature. Its excellent sea-skimming ability and random manouvres in the terminal phase make it virtually impossible to stop. The imaging infrared seeker is completely passive. Target selection is at the forefront of new technology. That provides NSM with a substantial capacity for autonomous detection and recognition of targets - at sea or on land.


.
RA1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2007   #22
Defense Enthusiast
Master Sergeant
No Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 308
Threads:
Quote:
any news on the Gotland-class SSKs ??
..Will be commisioned by 2010 by the RSN. They will be tropicalised and equipped with AIP. Initially, it was mentioned that the Västergötlands `will' be replacing 2 of the Challenger class submarines. But in an interview with the Straits Times, Singapore`s Chief of navy said that they will `consider' replacing them with the Västergötlands when the latter subs are ready(Straits Times May 5 2007). Change of heart? I think what he is saying the the challengers would probably be in the water for a while more while the RSN buys new submarines which I hope will be the A6. So 4 A6 +2 Västergötlands. The Västergötlands will be replaced by 2 more A6s later. Makes sense.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007   #23
Senior Member
Colonel
No Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,467
Threads:
Re:

Deleted.

Last edited by weasel1962; October 19th, 2008 at 12:24 AM.
weasel1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007   #24
Junior Member
Private First Class
No Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 91
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nero View Post
.

any news on the Gotland-class SSKs ??

there was talk about an improved-variant of gotland of being built

what happened to that ??
You mean the Västergötland , I presume.
I believe "Red" has answered your qn.

As for new SSK RSN is looking at , here a brief summary:

Initially, it was the multinational Viking program, which SG held an observer status, but the program was cancelled due to most of the participants pulled out.

Later, the Swede decided to go ahead with their own version called the A26, the next generation of Kockum SSK.

It was also reported that 3 nations are involved in this program as observers, one of them rumoured to be SG.

I believe when A26 comes into being, it will most likely the replacement for the rest of the Challenger class in RSN.
gary1910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007   #25
Senior Member
Colonel
No Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,467
Threads:
Re:

Deleted

Last edited by weasel1962; October 19th, 2008 at 12:25 AM.
weasel1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007   #26
Defense Enthusiast
Master Sergeant
No Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 308
Threads:
3D renderings of the Formidable class frigate plus "fitted for but not with" areas for more weapon systems, etc. Conceivably, the RSN, similar to her other ships, would be upgrading and putting more stuffs on the Formidable class warships in the future;


http://www.the3dstudio.com/product_d..._product=34596
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007   #27
Defense Enthusiast
Corporal
No Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 101
Threads:
Does anyone have any detailed information on the weapon suite of RSS

Formidable frigates?

Is it true that these frigates are armed with naval remote weapon system

with a combination of 30mmguns/Mistral IR?

Will the RSN upgrades its 4 Landsort 47 MCMV especially its Bofors Y gun?

Will they augment the MCMV squadron with Landsort 52?

Are there plans to procure more S70B helis, stealth frigates and at least two

Landing Helicopter Dock?

Please advised.

Thanks and regards.
SGMilitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2007   #28
Defense Enthusiast
Corporal
No Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 101
Threads:
Update on RSN Formidable Class Frigates

There is an article in WIKIPEDIA.COM, featured in Republic of Singapore Navy section.

It was stated that the RSN had received 4 of the 12 Sylver A-43 launchers and 300 Aster 15 missile. The article also mentioned that the RSN is procuring additional 12 Sylver launchers, probably A-50 launchers to accomodate Aster 30 missiles.
If this deal materialise, does that means the RSN will eventually operate the European PAAMS on Formidable class frigates?
Does anyone have detailed information on this article?
Please visit www.wikipedia.com and select Singapore Military, zoom in to Republic of Singapore Navy.

Thanks!


Best Regards.

Last edited by SGMilitary; December 26th, 2007 at 11:18 PM. Reason: typo error
SGMilitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2007   #29
Defense Aficionado
Lieutenant General
contedicavour's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Paris/Geneva (but I'm Italian)
Posts: 2,901
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMilitary View Post
There is an article in WIKIPEDIA.COM, featured in Republic of Singapore Navy section.

It was stated that the RSN had received 4 of the 12 Sylver A-43 launchers and 300 Aster 15 missile. The article also mentioned that the RSN is procuring additional 12 Sylver launchers, probably A-50 launchers to accomodate Aster 30 missiles.
If this deal materialise, does that means the RSN will eventually operate the European PAAMS on Formidable class frigates?
Does anyone have detailed information on this article?
Please visit www.wikipedia.com and select Singapore Military, zoom in to Republic of Singapore Navy.

Thanks!


Best Regards.
Technically yes they will be able to launch Aster 30, though not at their maximum range because there's no long range air search radar. Currently Herakles and Arabel radars are limited to a range of approx 150km against small jets, which is a bit tight vs the 120km range of an Aster 30.
Fincantieri is working on active phased array version of EMPAR capable of a range of up to 250km. This should be enough to leverage properly the Aster 30. Care to change radar ?

cheers
contedicavour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2007   #30
Junior Member
Private First Class
kotay's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: N 2˚31.12' E130˚58.54'
Posts: 87
Threads:
What is the possibility of an integrated AEW system providing
i) Tracking and targeting data to the launch platform (in this case the Formidable)
ii) Mid course corrections?

Just exploring technical possibilities ...
kotay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:43 AM.