How do soldiers keep awake??

Red aRRow

Forum Bouncer
How do soldiers keep awake

By Steven Morris

LONDON: Drugs - at least in some cases. American pilots have long been taking drugs to keep them flying longer. The ground troops who have had to "power on" day and night to Baghdad are thought to be taking a new sleep-busting drug called modafinil (or provigil).

Away from the battlefield, it is used mainly to combat narcolepsy, a condition that makes people feel irresistibly drowsy. The ears of military commanders pricked up when they heard it could keep a healthy person awake for more than three days. The Americans, British and French have all tested it.

A US study found sleep-deprived helicopter pilots given modafinil were more alert, energetic and confident than those who were not. A French researcher, Michel Jouvet, of Claude Bernard University in Lyon, concluded the drug could keep an army fighting for three days and nights.

According to its US manufacturers, Cephalon, the only side effect is a headache, which wears off when the user gets used to the drug. Exactly how the drug works is unknown but it is believed to stimulate a part of the brain called the prefrontal cortex, used in planning and problem solving.

Officially, neither the Americans nor the British armed forces sanction the use of modafinil. But a source at Cephalon said he would be "astonished" if troops were not using it.

The need to sleep has held armies back throughout history. Other "fatigue management tools" as the American military puts it, are used with varying degrees of success.

Caffeine is the preferred substance for many but since the second world war, US military pilots have been authorized to pop dextroamphetamine, or "go pills", which have been under the spotlight since the "friendly fire" killings of four Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan.

The search for the "no doze soldier" continues: researchers at the US defence advanced research projects agency are looking at how birds and dolphins can survive on little or no sleep. So, soldiers of the future may wonder why the charge through Iraq was so exhausting for their predecessors.-Dawn/The Guardian News Service.

http://www.dawn.com/2003/04/12/int17.htm

A

Aussie Digger

By drinking lots and lots of Coffee!!! I've never heard of a soldier taking drugs to stay awake. I've heard of soldiers taking sleeping pills to ensure they get as much sleep as possible from their rest periods. Normally you just push on as long as you can and somehow get through it. The longest period I ever went without any real sleep was 3 days. On the 4th day I got a "sustained" (and completely unintentional) nap of 45 minutes, when through exhaustion I fell asleep on gun picquet. (Guard duty behind a machine gun...) This was the last day of the exercise. The following day I slept for 16 hours straight and STILL felt tired when I woke up... It then took me 3 or 4 days to get back into a regular sleep pattern. I look back and wonder why I became a soldier sometimes...

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Aussie Digger said:
By drinking lots and lots of Coffee!!! I've never heard of a soldier taking drugs to stay awake. I've heard of soldiers taking sleeping pills to ensure they get as much sleep as possible from their rest periods. Normally you just push on as long as you can and somehow get through it. The longest period I ever went without any real sleep was 3 days. On the 4th day I got a "sustained" (and completely unintentional) nap of 45 minutes, when through exhaustion I fell asleep on gun picquet. (Guard duty behind a machine gun...) This was the last day of the exercise. The following day I slept for 16 hours straight and STILL felt tired when I woke up... It then took me 3 or 4 days to get back into a regular sleep pattern. I look back and wonder why I became a soldier sometimes...
Some of the RAAFy Hornet drivers were on tabs for Iraq.

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The tabs are only used during combat condtions and never during training or while on training excercises.

Winter

Gremlin29 said:
The tabs are only used during combat condtions and never during training or while on training excercises.
Yes, perhaps that would raise a few problems...

:dance2

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
It does raise a problem, but the tabs themselves are problematic. Go pills are an unacceptable risk to be used in training.

Fascist Fitz

just in terms of doing gun picquet etc after a long day, one of my mates who went to timor said that his platoon used to do pushups next to the gun in order to stay awake...he said that doing this plus the adrenaline of being in contacts a couple of times a day kept him awake for 2 1/2 days...buggered if i want to come back from operations with bigger muscles than when i went though hehe