Go Back   DefenceTalk Forum - Military & Defense Forums > Global Defense & Military > Navy & Maritime

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures

Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates

This is a discussion on The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates within the Navy & Maritime forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; I don't think there's been a definite announcement either way and it may come down to sea trials to work ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 28 votes, 3.68 average.
Old May 15th, 2017   #11671
Super Moderator
Lieutenant General
No Avatar
Threads:
I don't think there's been a definite announcement either way and it may come down to sea trials to work out what's practical - a mix of helicopters means a line of parts, tools and people for each however.
StobieWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2017   #11672
Defense Enthusiast
Major
Threads:
There were some pictures a few years ago showing the mission bay used as a second hanger with a Merlin in it. Basically one end opened out doubling the length of the hanger. This was rather a long time ago though and I suspect it was a much earlier version of the Type 26 design.
kev 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2017   #11673
Defense Professional / Analyst
Captain
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev 99 View Post
There were some pictures a few years ago showing the mission bay used as a second hanger with a Merlin in it. Basically one end opened out doubling the length of the hanger. This was rather a long time ago though and I suspect it was a much earlier version of the Type 26 design.
Based on the data & images I've seen online & at trade shows the Mission bay is the top of a capital T, with the hangar being the vertical stroke.

The mission bay has a door on either side of the ship & obviously a door into the hangar. The Hangar appears a comparable size to that of the one on Type 45, which we know could accept x2 Lynx, so we can easily read across that it can take x2 Wildcat.

The Mission Bay obviously appears to be big enough to accept a Merlin, which would leave room in the hangar for another one, but the practicalities of running x2 Merlin at the same time would be a stretch, IMHO.

The RN will have an opinion of what they can & can't do with the ship & it's aircraft, but it probably won't become public domain knowledge until the ship enters service in the early 2020's / the RN share the data via their website...

SA
Systems Adict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2017   #11674
Defense Aficionado
Lieutenant General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Chinook creates its own issues on board. More modern RAS rigs entering service with the RN can carry F-35 engines in their transport containers, so I guess that's one way to offload that capability.
Came across this answer from parliamentary question by James Heappey

Quote:
To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, how his Department plans to supply the QEC Carrier Group at extended range with any critical items not held on board an accompanying solid support ship.

Harriett Baldwin
Quote:
The supply chain solution for the Queen Elizabeth Class aircraft carriers will vary according to the nature of the demand. The Department is currently developing plans for Maritime Intra Theatre Lift (MITL) based upon in-service helicopters.
t68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #11675
Super Moderator
Lieutenant General
No Avatar
Threads:
Possible (and I stress *possible*) increase in orders for the type 31, to be built in Scotland.

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/type...bled-scotland/

Not clear to me if it'd be build all the type 26's and then the 31's or if there'd be some overlap or a parallel build cycle.
Old 1 Day Ago   #11676
Captain
Threads:
Hurrah !

She sails....

Navy's largest ever ship HMS Queen Elizabeth to set sail for the first time - ITV News

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbm4r25eVsU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2-rFlXcdVk

D

SA
Old 1 Day Ago   #11677
Brigadier General
Threads:
Great day for the RN. Nice video links. Based on this QE build of two vessels, you could get 3 1/2 QEs for one Ford. The Ford has unique capabilities however but I wonder if the US built 6 of these instead of additional America class ships, would the additional size of the QE justify the extra cost? I would think a build of 6 ships should reduce the cost somewhat compared to the UK build.
John Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #11678
Defense Aficionado
Lieutenant General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fedup View Post
Great day for the RN. Nice video links. Based on this QE build of two vessels, you could get 3 1/2 QEs for one Ford. The Ford has unique capabilities however but I wonder if the US built 6 of these instead of additional America class ships, would the additional size of the QE justify the extra cost? I would think a build of 6 ships should reduce the cost somewhat compared to the UK build.
Don't forget they would have been cheaper if not for the political interventions, can't remember exactly I think the original price was ment to be around 4.5b
t68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #11679
Captain
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by t68 View Post
Don't forget they would have been cheaper if not for the political interventions, can't remember exactly I think the original price was meant to be around 4.5b

If you've got the time to scan thru the 1st 100 pages of this thread, you'll find on page 22 that the initial cost were circa 3.8Bn, & the history of these cost escalations, their reasoning & the whole diabolical arrangements for the UK RN are laid bare.

...& I find it amusing that it's been 11 years since I 1st dipped my toes into these fora...

SA
Old 1 Day Ago   #11680
Super Moderator
Lieutenant General
No Avatar
Threads:
it's ironic that a lot of the initial procurement steps were pretty sensible - like, buy all the steel in one hit, source a lot of the kit in single batches, make use of the power of buying in as near bulk or continuous supply as you ever can with two ships.

Then we got into a land war in a land locked country with no funding allotted and voila..
Old 1 Day Ago   #11681
Brigadier General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by StobieWan View Post
Then we got into a land war in a land locked country with no funding allotted and voila..
Can relate to the above. The billions we spent in Afghanistan could certainly have been beneficial for capital acquisitions. The deteriorating situation there after all the blood and treasure makes it even more depressing.
Old 21 Hours Ago   #11682
Super Moderator
General
Threads:
Compressed video of her leaving the basin.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...t-video-report
Video of passing under the Forth bridge just before midnight, at low tide.
HMS Queen Elizabeth: Tight squeeze as warship passes under Forth Bridge | London Evening Standard

There's been a lot of money wasted by government decisions, e.g. when Gordon Brown put the price up by slowing down building to save money in the short term, at the cost of more costs later, & when Liam Fox decided to switch to cat & trap without looking into it, & switched back when the cost had been worked out.
swerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Hours Ago   #11683
Brigadier General
Threads:
I guess the public was not allowed on the bridge during the transit. Would have been an awesome sight as QE passed underneath.
Old 19 Hours Ago   #11684
Super Moderator
General
Threads:
There were supposedly a lot of people watching from the shore, but yeah, the bridge looks empty, & it'd make sense for it to be closed. She looked very close to it.

Disappointing for many people, no doubt. I'd have loved to watch her from the bridge, but I'm at the other end of the country.
swerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Hours Ago   #11685
Captain
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by swerve View Post
There were supposedly a lot of people watching from the shore, but yeah, the bridge looks empty, & it'd make sense for it to be closed. She looked very close to it.

Disappointing for many people, no doubt. I'd have loved to watch her from the bridge, but I'm at the other end of the country.

In fairness, it was around midnight before she made it under the bridges, so it being a school night, lots of people didn't want to stand around in the rain, in the pitch black...

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: