Go Back   DefenceTalk Forum - Military & Defense Forums > Global Defense & Military > Navy & Maritime
Forgot Password? Join Us! Its's free!

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures

Nellis_F-22A_0140-1.jpg

Nellis_B-1_0096-1.jpg

Nellis_HH-60_0041-1.jpg

Nellis_F-15E_0082-1.jpg
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates

This is a discussion on The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates within the Navy & Maritime forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; I don't think there's been a definite announcement either way and it may come down to sea trials to work ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 28 votes, 3.68 average.
Old 1 Week Ago   #11671
Super Moderator
Lieutenant General
No Avatar
Threads:
I don't think there's been a definite announcement either way and it may come down to sea trials to work out what's practical - a mix of helicopters means a line of parts, tools and people for each however.
StobieWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #11672
Defense Enthusiast
Major
Threads:
There were some pictures a few years ago showing the mission bay used as a second hanger with a Merlin in it. Basically one end opened out doubling the length of the hanger. This was rather a long time ago though and I suspect it was a much earlier version of the Type 26 design.
kev 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #11673
Defense Professional / Analyst
Captain
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev 99 View Post
There were some pictures a few years ago showing the mission bay used as a second hanger with a Merlin in it. Basically one end opened out doubling the length of the hanger. This was rather a long time ago though and I suspect it was a much earlier version of the Type 26 design.
Based on the data & images I've seen online & at trade shows the Mission bay is the top of a capital T, with the hangar being the vertical stroke.

The mission bay has a door on either side of the ship & obviously a door into the hangar. The Hangar appears a comparable size to that of the one on Type 45, which we know could accept x2 Lynx, so we can easily read across that it can take x2 Wildcat.

The Mission Bay obviously appears to be big enough to accept a Merlin, which would leave room in the hangar for another one, but the practicalities of running x2 Merlin at the same time would be a stretch, IMHO.

The RN will have an opinion of what they can & can't do with the ship & it's aircraft, but it probably won't become public domain knowledge until the ship enters service in the early 2020's / the RN share the data via their website...

SA
Systems Adict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #11674
Defense Aficionado
Lieutenant General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Chinook creates its own issues on board. More modern RAS rigs entering service with the RN can carry F-35 engines in their transport containers, so I guess that's one way to offload that capability.
Came across this answer from parliamentary question by James Heappey

Quote:
To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, how his Department plans to supply the QEC Carrier Group at extended range with any critical items not held on board an accompanying solid support ship.

Harriett Baldwin
Quote:
The supply chain solution for the Queen Elizabeth Class aircraft carriers will vary according to the nature of the demand. The Department is currently developing plans for Maritime Intra Theatre Lift (MITL) based upon in-service helicopters.
t68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: