Regarding the alleged under cover Mig-29s with canards

kilo_4que

It was published roughly a year ago that after the US took aerial photographs of a certain part of pakistan under different conditions and views. They reported to have seen roughly a squadron of Mig-29s with canards on them. Ok the canards may have been understandable as tests are always undergone within different design proposals however pakistan. What in the blue hell are they doing in pakistan. Maybe one or two may have been captured during the afghan war but a whole squadron of them and even them with canards.

I need to find that article. Was a pleasure to read but not very believable. Also these apparent aircraft were hidden in underground hangers, how can that be.

You thoughts

ullu

well its possible that pakistan captured those migs when they were sitting at some airbase in afghanistan with the help of the mujhideen and flew them back to pakistan in secrecy? Its not unbelievable as pakistan also captured russian attack helicopters, etc.

ahussains

Well Guys this is a Very Intreting NEWS what Migs are doing in Pakistan.. and i am not agree with this ,, they are Chiness Flankers ... but this is Possiable they are captured in Afghan War with the help of Mujahidin... but how it is possiable they captured a hole Suqadran...

From where we find more about THIS.......... :eek

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
AFAIK There are only operational SU-30MKI's that have canards. I'm not aware of any Mig-29's

The canards are for lift only, not vortex shifters as on the eurofighter, gripen, rafale etc..

corsair7772

Verified Defense Pro
They have 2 be flankers of the PLAF. Mig-29s wud have been possible if there were only 2 or 3 but a whole squadron? Naaaaaa. They have 2 be flankers. maybe sum exercise or tests but not Migs.

kilo_4que

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
gf0012 said:
AFAIK There are only operational SU-30MKI's that have canards. I'm not aware of any Mig-29's

The canards are for lift only, not vortex shifters as on the eurofighter, gripen, rafale etc..
Ok lets say they are Su-27s. Then the question occurs. What the hell are they doing in underground hangers

ahussains

This Sounds better they are SU 27 .. and the point is also valid what they are doing in Underground Hangers.. and from where Pakistan got these planes in my opinion this is Impossiable that China give these planes to Pak. Because China have good miltary ties with Russia and they dont wont to break this ... and if Pak. got these planes from Afg.. these will be in 1990 after this its not easy to get planes from there....

Can any one let me know details about these "CANARDS" :arrow:

The Watcher

ahussains said:
Can any one let me know details about these "CANARDS" :arrow:
Someone else maybe in better position to anwswer this but canards are used to prevent the wing from stalling especially during action of attack maneuvers when its likely that the wing of the jet would stall!

ahussains

If they have so close picture of canards on MIG 29 or they SU 27 then it must some evidence of these things .. It means Pakistan have some thing which not known by Public...

Any one to commints on this...

suleman

The question is why they need to send spy planes in our airspace.When they can take very clear images through settelites?Why to take such risks and annoy ally country an important ally.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
suleman said:
The question is why they need to send spy planes in our airspace.When they can take very clear images through settelites?Why to take such risks and annoy ally country an important ally.
I'd want to see the initial advice on this. ie how the photo was taken etc...

the info is too vague and just ends up causing speculation.

Depending on resolution. if you can photograph canards you can get close enough to see markings.

suleman

But USA posess such powerful settelites that they can really take very fine pics from them.There is no need to take such risk of sending planes to spy,espacially when Pakistan is acting as a close ally in war on terror.I think this news is based on rumours and speculations.Now settelites can take very fine images.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
suleman said:
But USA posess such powerful settelites that they can really take very fine pics from them.There is no need to take such risk of sending planes to spy,espacially when Pakistan is acting as a close ally in war on terror.I think this news is based on rumours and speculations.Now settelites can take very fine images.
the french have far more satellites in some regions than the US, in fact a significant proportion of satellite imagery was taken by french private companies and onsold to the UD during GW2.

My prev question basically implies that I would want to see what platform and from what nation is said to have photographed the planes before jumping to anymore conclusions.

The US doesn't need to overfly, and in real terms I would question things like verification of the news source, reliability of source, even pics themselves start to give you an idea of what nation is capable of taking the images.

There are probably 7 countries that would/could take photos of the region with impunity. I doubt that any would risk manned aircraft to do the job due to political ramifications.

If you could read the number plate of a car from Keyhole satellites 25 years ago, the resolution would be somewhat more discriminating nowdays.

kilo_4que

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Where do u gather the information that spy planes were sent to take these pictures. They were taken via satellite.

Now a few things to clear. Some people always wonder how such details as small canards are visible via satellite. Well this is not always the case. If this satellite has produced images and the outline of the plane in this case is taken and compared to its possibilities. First and foremost, it cant be a F-15 as pak doesnt have any access to them on home soil. Hence the alternative is the so called Russian version of the F-15 which is the Mig 29. Then they examine the outline of a real Mig 29 and gather differences from which they see wisker like structures on the front hence canards.

Furthermore, regarding them being Su-27s. I believe this is not so. China has the licence to mass produce them regardless of what they want to do with them. Legally not rite but in theory it is. Russia generally agrees to what ever China says. They even agreed to allow china to use russian mig-29 engines in the JF-17s but problems occured when they planned on exporting the fighters to other countries where russia was not willing to allow their tech to spread over the world so easily. Likewise, China does not need to hide the fact that they provide the service of the flankers or fulcrums in any case. Therefore, it has no understanding whatsoever as to why they are in undercover hangers.

ahussains said:
If they have so close picture of canards on MIG 29 or they SU 27 then it must some evidence of these things .. It means Pakistan have some thing which not known by Public...

Any one to commints on this...

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I know of a proposal to fit thrust vectoring and canards to a Mig 29 in 1999, but AFAIK that never proceeded as the SU-27, SU-3x series were considered a superior existing airframe, too much modification was required for minimal gain as opposed to a warfighter that could fulfill the role.

has anyone got pics of a canard equipped Mig-29?

Munir

Fulcrums had never canards. Not during Afghan war. Getting a few and remoddelign them is a intrestnig but fututistic idea to me. But interchange with PLAF for training puprose sounds dangerous but optional. Far from India and hidden underground using them to develop counter tactics. China had probably F16 from PAF to do the same (Taiwan). I do not beleive the story but this is to me the only explanantion if true...

Cheers.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
shamayel said:
It's horse crap news based on heresay. No basis whatsoever. Some guy had a dream and put it on some forum.
another wet dream bites the dust... ;)