Royal Navy Destroyer/Frigate employment

rickusn

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I put this together trying to reconcile ships in RSS and those in a High-state of readiness. Im a little confused on that. But I also have found what all the destroyer/frigates are up to as of this date or will be as many are enjoying Summer Leave. I dont know how long the Summer Leave period usually lasts.

13 Jul 2005

Maritime Forces
Dr. Julian Lewis: To ask the Secretary of State for Defence if he will list the (a) Royal Navy and (b) Royal Fleet Auxiliary vessels which have been given the reduced support status referred to in paragraph 2.9 of the National Audit Office report on military readiness. [9695]

Mr. Ingram [holding answer 7 July 2005]: The process of designating ships to receive the reduced level of support referred to by the National Audit Office enables the Royal Navy to maintain its ability to mount a medium scale operation at short notice and maximise its ability to undertake priority peacetime tasks. The Royal Navy ships placed on reduced support status are as follows:

HMS Invincible CVH-decom
HMS Ark Royal CVH-refit
HMS Albion LPD
HMS Cardiff-decom
HMS Exeter
HMS Liverpool
HMS Cumberland
HMS Grafton(Training-Summer leave-in September will be undergoing a period of planned maintenance before sailing once again in support of trainee navigating officers.)
HMS Marlborough-decom
HMS Monmouth
HMS Richmond
HMS St. Albans
HMS Sutherland
HMS Atherstone-MCM
HMS Brecon MCM-decom
HMS Cottesmore MCM-decom
HMS Dulverton MCM-decom
HMS Middleton-MCM
HMS Pembroke-MHC
HMS Penzance-MHC
HMS Ramsey-MHC
HMS Shoreham-MHC
HMS Walney-MHC
HMS Leeds Castle OPV-decom
No RFA ships are on reduced support status.

What I dont understand is how the following ships can be in RSS and a high-state of readiness. (even deployed):

HMS Exeter
HMS Liverpool(post-deployed August 4th)
HMS Cumberland(deployed August 5th)
HMS Monmouth
HMS St. Albans
HMS Sutherland

HMS Richmond I can understand being in RSS because its in refit.

as are:

HMS Northumberland(now coming out)
HMS Edinburgh
HMS Cornwall
HMS Kent

Post-deployed:
HMS Gloucester
HMS Manchester

Pre-deployment work-up:
HMS Southhampton(APTN-S)

Training:
Iron Duke

None of the above 8 ships are listed in RSS or a High-state of readiness.

That leaves:

UK Maritime Security: HMS Montrose

Mediterranean (Nato's Standing NRF Maritime Group 2): HMS Somerset(post-deployed August 3rd)(Relief?)

Atlantic Patrol Task (South): HMS Portland(Southhampton to relieve early September)

Gulf: HMS Argyll(Campbelltown Suez August 3 approx)

Atlantic Patrol Task (North): HMS Liverpool(RSS)(post-deployed August 4th)(Cumberland deployed August 5th)

Arabian Sea and Indian Ocean: HMS York (double assigned as JRRF unit)

Plus

The following major Royal Navy warships are available to the Joint Rapid Reaction Force at High or Very High Readiness for contingent operations:

HMS Illustrious CVH
HMS Ocean LPD
HMS Albion-(RSS)
HMS Cumberland- (RSS)(Deployed August 5th)
HMS Campbeltown- deployed Gulf
HMS Chatham-post-deployed
HMS Nottingham-post-deployed
HMS York(see above)
HMS Exeter-(RSS)
HMS Westminster- post-refit Training
HMS Sutherland-(RSS)
HMS St. Albans-(RSS)
HMS Monmouth-(RSS)
HMS Lancaster-Training

Where a destoyer/frigates duties are not mentioned assume for the most part minor upkeep and training are being done.

Many ships are enjoying Summer Leave at this time