A-7 replacment for Ak-47

dabrownguy

CHENNAI: Indian paramilitary forces will soon have a new assault rifle called A-7 that will rival the ubiquitous AK-47.

The new equivalent to the popular AK-47 will be used by paramilitary forces like the CRPF and BSF, said P.K. Mishra, chairman of the Indian Ordnance Factories Board, in Udhagamandalam, Tamil Nadu, on Tuesday.

The sophisticated India-designed rifle is getting ready to be used soon. Army sources said the AK-7 will give the AK-47—the most popular among assault rifles in the world—a run for its money.

Named after its inventor Mikhail Kalashnikov, the automatic 7.62-mm calibre AK-47 can fire 600 or more rounds per minute and has been modified half a dozen times.

The original AK-47 was not mobile but it was modified by equipping it with a metal stock so it could be carried by parachute troops and armoured troops.

The original did not have a bayonet either. It was later equipped with one.

However, despite all its shortcomings, no gun in the world is more preferred by standard armies and paramilitary forces.

Besides the A-7, the ordnance board has other plans. "The board has also upgraded 40-mm and 70-mm guns for anti-aircraft operations and these would be subjected to user trials," Mr Mishra said.

"The 130-mm artillery guns and 155-mm guns are being upgraded and are due to undergo user trials," he added.

New technologies on the anvil are bulletproof jackets and various kinds of parachutes, slated to be "the cheapest in the world".

The board buys technologies from foreign countries and the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).

However, Mr Mishra said they were now concentrating on research and development in its own factories in India .

There are 39 defence material factories under the board.A new one is also coming up at Nalanda in Bihar , which will be commissioned in November 2005. It will cost Rs 9.42 billion.

The board is also planning a unit to provide aircraft-grade aluminium to the Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL), Bangalore , which is building a light combat aircraft.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/437902.cms

I have my fingers crossed. IA already has INSAS which uses m-14 cartrages and now a-7 with ak-47, not bad.

A

Aussie Digger

I don't wish to insult Indian industries, but is it really wise to use "the cheapest parachutes in the world"? :help

Soldier

Aussie Digger said:
I don't wish to insult Indian industries, but is it really wise to use "the cheapest parachutes in the world"? :help
There is nothing to insult Indian Industry as they are well developed. Besides Aussie Digger, the cost of manufacting things in India or Pakistan is far much cheaper then western countries. I guess you know that. Cheapness here does not mean Cheap quality. The cheap labor cost and material will bring out a cheap parachute....

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Soldier said:
Aussie Digger said:
There is nothing to insult Indian Industry as they are well developed. Besides Aussie Digger, the cost of manufacting things in India or Pakistan is far much cheaper then western countries. I guess you know that. Cheapness here does not mean Cheap quality. The cheap labor cost and material will bring out a cheap parachute....
I can vouch for that! I visited Suzlon last year to look at some Indian Wind Turbine technology, they're ISO 900x certified and the facilities for production were as good as some I had seen in Denmark, the USA and Germany.

A

Aussie Digger

It was a joke guys, I didn't mean that they would be of poor quality. I was just thinking of the Para's reaction if told they would be receiving the "cheapest parachutes in the world"...

elkaboingo

i dont know, but i do know that insas is a copy of the israeli galil (similarities in looks, and it said it takes m-16 clips.

of course, the israeli galil is modeled after teh ak 47. pretty confusing huh?

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
... and the AK-47 traces its heritage back to the German SturmGwehr 42
of WW2.

Soldier

Aussie Digger said:
It was a joke guys, I didn't mean that they would be of poor quality. I was just thinking of the Para's reaction if told they would be receiving the "cheapest parachutes in the world"...
I am sure when it comes to Indian Armed Services, they do not trust manufacturers even if they are Indian. They test everything by themselves and only after strict trials do they let them become part of their kit.

Frozen Hell

Soldier said:
Aussie Digger said:
I am sure when it comes to Indian Armed Services, they do not trust manufacturers even if they are Indian. They test everything by themselves and only after strict trials do they let them become part of their kit.
Isn't that they SOP in all militaries? That they test the equipment that they buy themselves even though it goes through the testing phase at the manufacturer.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Most militaries have a military spec which has far greater tolerances and operating parameters. eg Redundancy issues buillt into the electronics, shock requirements etc.

US Milspec is quite specific. I used to be involved in a project where we needed lengths of cable for acoustic microphones, we had to acocunt for every metre of it, any excess hd to be sent back to the US supplier.

Soldier

Frozen Hell said:
Soldier said:
Aussie Digger said:
Isn't that they SOP in all militaries? That they test the equipment that they buy themselves even though it goes through the testing phase at the manufacturer.
You are right Frozen Hell. I was only answering AussieDigger. About Indian Military treating Indian manufacturers with no special treatment like their US Counterparts, it is natural as Indian military in past has been plunged with problems in Indian made products and thus, all what they need is quality be it imported or India. There is no special treatment here for Indian Manufacturers.

mandeep_619

The insas is not the indian galil it is indigines design
but it uses the design features of all the the latest improvements in assult rifle design and uses the best out of isreali russian and indian design like many of the other thing that india uses.