Go Back   Defense Technology & Military Forum > Global Defense & Military > Navy & Maritime
Forgot Password? Join Us! Its's free!

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures

F-35_launches_Joint_Strike_Missile.jpg

us-south-korea-drill.jpg

this-year-12700-us-troops-are-participating-alongside-many-more-south-korean-soldiers.jpg

the-us-routinely-dedicates-an-extremely-large-contingent-of-soldiers-and-marines-to-the-drills.jpg
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

Recent Photos - DefenceTalk Military Gallery

Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates

This is a discussion on Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates within the Navy & Maritime forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; Originally Posted by icelord Join the bosun's, you'll have a great time! We don't paint as much as people tell ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 36 votes, 4.14 average.
Old April 7th, 2008   #1171
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by icelord View Post
Join the bosun's, you'll have a great time! We don't paint as much as people tell you, and we do put in the hard yards, bloody myths the lot, if you want hands on BM is the place to be,i'm doing BM course atm and loving it and can't wait to hit fleet in june. CIS is a hard course, so if your determined to put the effort in you'll do well, and there is a big call for CIS running around across the fleet, so look carefully into it.
With either job you'll have no real trouble getting a go at officer in the future, and if you need more marks to push your application, the navy will pay in the future for that through education schemes.
best of luck, any other questions msg me and i'll try to find out
hey mate i tired to msg u but i cant yey for some reason

a coupple of my mates are at cebarus atm haha. Yea the only other questions i have are that do u think they would let me in if i leave uni?
aussie89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2008   #1172
Defense Professional / Analyst
Brigadier General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by icelord View Post
i'm sure we covered the cats ability in the RAN a while ago, so check the long and verbal argument in history posts.
We could get into another yes no no yes no yes no no yes debate, but safer to go that way, i'm up for LPA more then HSV
Agree totally. We need all weather sustained capability and the HSV just does not offer that (as has been discussed numerous times previously).
alexsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2008   #1173
Defense Aficionado
Major General
Threads:
I haven't a clue what the third amphibious/sea lift ship will be. Options include a carrier oriented LHD, to LPDs, to high speed or non high speed ferries alike the Jervis Bay and Canterbury, or to containerized cargo ships of any size. I am not even sure whether moving troops are necessary, much less how many, or just equipment and supplies.

I would think a third LHD configured for STOVL operations would top the list. Of course that would be the most expensive option. With such a good quality in the two LHDs, the option of a third ship similar to Canterbury would represent a cheaper option. Since the Canterbury, Ben-My-Chree is actually a smaller and newer version of the current Interislander ferry, a larger ferry type could be built. All three ferries have the same beam, the Interislander has a longer length. As noted, for probably a bit more, a high speed ferry like the Jervis Bay may be in the works.

Then again, a Rotterdam type of LPD/LSD would more or less be a middle priced option. I think much will be decided upon costs, that is if a third carrier option is not taken. The cheapest option I would think is to move only equipment and supplies, a container type of ro-ro ship similar in size or less than the LHDs. But surely, a cargo vessel of this type will be available for hire.

Some will say a smaller option might be better, a ship the size of a LHD may be overkill. Without any doubt, there are a lot of options. Lets hope that the new white paper addresses specifications more clearly.

Last edited by Sea Toby; April 7th, 2008 at 10:14 PM.
Sea Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008   #1174
Corporal
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasman
Photos of HMAS Kanimbla that can be seen on the above site clearly show that she is now mounting a pair of Mini Typhoons to supplement her Phalanx CIWS and 4 x 12.7mm HMGs. Good to see that Mini Typhoon is now mounted on a ship that is not actually deployed or deploying to or from a war zone - maybe the inventory is now beginning to reach a reasonable level! :rolleyes:

It is my understanding that the 25mm Typhoon is also to be eventually fitted to [I
Kanimbla, Manoora and Tobruck[/I].
Tas
Maybe a ship is being sent to the Gulf to retrieve the army armour and it isn't Tobruk, she is doing RIMPAC. All those ships have already been fitted for at some stage, they might just not be carrying them at the moment. Tobruk was fitted with them when she went to the Gulf to transport army equipment there.
Cheers
Pusser01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008   #1175
Aussie Digger
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasman View Post
http://www.defence.gov.au/media/down...407b/index.htm

Photos of HMAS Kanimbla that can be seen on the above site clearly show that she is now mounting a pair of Mini Typhoons to supplement her Phalanx CIWS and 4 x 12.7mm HMGs. Good to see that Mini Typhoon is now mounted on a ship that is not actually deployed or deploying to or from a war zone - maybe the inventory is now beginning to reach a reasonable level!

It is my understanding that the 25mm Typhoon is also to be eventually fitted to Kanimbla, Manoora and Tobruck.

Tas
This is what the DMO has to say about this issue:

Ships Self Defence Capability – Rapid Acquisition TOP

Prime Contractors: Alliant Techsystems Ind. and Rafael Armament Development Authority (Israel).
Phase 1 of SEA 1779 Ph 1 will provide a dual level ship self defence capability for HMA Ships Kanimbla, Manoora and Tobruk.
This capability will provide better defence against watercraft, land targets, helicopters and floating mines. The capability will consist of an integrated fire control system and Toplite electro-optical director system. The 25mm Bushmaster naval variant cannons are to be integrated to provide the cannon for the Typhoon system.
The “fit for but not with” installation schedule is on track, however the procurement of hardware and in particular Typhoon mounts lag by 6 months. Notwithstanding, TOBRUK, KANIMBLA and MANOORA are presently configured for Mini Typhoon Self Protection, albeit KANIMBLA will have the Mini Typhoons resited at the next Availability in May to pave the way for the installation of Typhoon mounts on delivery from Rafael Feb 09, to provide the optimal self defence capability.
Initial Operational Release of the first ship with optimal self defence capability is scheduled for February 2009, with project completion in July 2009.

Courtesy of www.defence.gov.au/dmo
Old April 9th, 2008   #1176
Ship Watcher
Brigadier General
Threads:
Typhoon and Mini Typhoon in Amphibious vessels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Digger View Post
This is what the DMO has to say about this issue:

Ships Self Defence Capability – Rapid Acquisition TOP

Prime Contractors: Alliant Techsystems Ind. and Rafael Armament Development Authority (Israel).
Phase 1 of SEA 1779 Ph 1 will provide a dual level ship self defence capability for HMA Ships Kanimbla, Manoora and Tobruk.
This capability will provide better defence against watercraft, land targets, helicopters and floating mines. The capability will consist of an integrated fire control system and Toplite electro-optical director system. The 25mm Bushmaster naval variant cannons are to be integrated to provide the cannon for the Typhoon system.
The “fit for but not with” installation schedule is on track, however the procurement of hardware and in particular Typhoon mounts lag by 6 months. Notwithstanding, TOBRUK, KANIMBLA and MANOORA are presently configured for Mini Typhoon Self Protection, albeit KANIMBLA will have the Mini Typhoons resited at the next Availability in May to pave the way for the installation of Typhoon mounts on delivery from Rafael Feb 09, to provide the optimal self defence capability.
Initial Operational Release of the first ship with optimal self defence capability is scheduled for February 2009, with project completion in July 2009.

Courtesy of www.defence.gov.au/dmo
Thanks AD and Pusser 01 for info re Mini Typhoon and Typhoon installations in the RAN's major amphibious vessels. Good to see that the "fit for but not with" part of the project is on track. From the DMO report it seems that these ships will eventually mount both of these weapons. Hopefully all of the RAN's Phalanx CIWS units will be upgraded to futher enhance defences against small fast moving surface targets. I remember seeing in this year's project list that funds have been provided for one of the mounts to be upgraded so it would seem logical for the remainder to be progressively modernised to provide the additional anti surface role that now seems to be regarded as a priority for the fleet's frigates and major amphibious vessels.

Tas
Old April 10th, 2008   #1177
Defense Aficionado
Major General
Threads:
Withn five years, more like four years, Australia will be seeing another Juan Carlos I ship entering the sea for the first time. Of all the video's produced, I like this one best.

Last edited by Sea Toby; April 10th, 2008 at 07:22 PM.
Sea Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008   #1178
Lieutenant Colonel
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie89 View Post
hey mate i tired to msg u but i cant yey for some reason

a coupple of my mates are at cebarus atm haha. Yea the only other questions i have are that do u think they would let me in if i leave uni?
i think it takes 5 posts before you can PM
LOL, the easy answer is yes, this is not officer,in fact if you want to you may be able to in the future complete your degree through the navy education scheme if they feel it could help in your job, or any transfer of catagory, then again you could not and do BM and not worry.Stand by for any jokes about Bosuns and our intelligence from former pussers.

Mod edit:

50 posts. 5 is too easy to achieve too quickly...

Last edited by Aussie Digger; April 11th, 2008 at 08:22 AM.
icelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008   #1179
Private First Class
No Avatar
Threads:
Saw the Warramunga in Brisbane over the weekend from a distance.

Has she been fitted with any CEA-FAR or CEA-MOUNT gear? There appeared to be a large flat "plate" up top.
Trackmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008   #1180
Private First Class
No Avatar
Threads:
Mate do yourself a favour if you a smart enough to go to uni do not become a BOSUN'S MATE.
Get a trade ET, MT or avn tech.
Bosun's mate are generally a bunch of vegetables.
Lofty_DBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008   #1181
The Wanderer
Major
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lofty_DBF View Post
Mate do yourself a favour if you a smart enough to go to uni do not become a BOSUN'S MATE.
Get a trade ET, MT or avn tech.
Bosun's mate are generally a bunch of vegetables.
Does the Boatswain's Mate position exist in the RAN?
Old April 16th, 2008   #1182
Just Hatched
Private
Threads:
Warramunga in Brisbane

Hi all,

I have been lurking for a while, but now I finally have something to contribute. I was fortunate enough to visit the HMAS Warramunga in Brisbane on Friday, and I was able to get a few photographs. They're not as good as the ones you can find on Tasman's Blog, but I thought a few of you might still be interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ship_alongside_01.jpg (264.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg ship_alongside_02.jpg (264.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg ship_bridge.jpg (221.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg ship_fore.jpg (278.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg ship_gun_and_bridge.jpg (208.9 KB, 18 views)
Lithonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008   #1183
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by robsta83 View Post
Does the Boatswain's Mate position exist in the RAN?
Yes.

http://defencejobs.gov.au/navy/jobs/BoatswainsMate/
machina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008   #1184
Ship Watcher
Brigadier General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithonaut View Post
Hi all,

I have been lurking for a while, but now I finally have something to contribute. I was fortunate enough to visit the HMAS Warramunga in Brisbane on Friday, and I was able to get a few photographs.
Nice shot of the gun mounting housing showing the more modern, low RCS version that was fitted to Warramunga in place of the the older, more rounded mount that was fitted to Anzac and Arunta, and later to Perth. Your photos also suggest in response to Trackmaster's question that CEA-FAR/CEA-MOUNT has not yet been fitted.

Tas
Old April 16th, 2008   #1185
Ship Watcher
Brigadier General
Threads:
Retention Incentive

Do serving members think that the new “The Navy Capability Allowance" is likely to succeed in retaining trained and experienced serving sailors.

The Allowance provides a financial incentive of $24,000 to general service sailors and $60,000 to submariners of Able Seaman through to Chief Petty Officer rank who agree to complete a further 18 months service.

http://www.minister.defence.gov.au/S...CurrentId=7590

The incentive to submariners looks reasonably attractive to me, considering it will be paid for just 18 months of additional service.

Tas

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: