JORDAN PRESSES WITH INTERIM CHALLENGER-1 TURRET

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
AMMAN [MENL] -- Jordan has launched a project to develop an upgraded version of the turret of the Challenger-1 main battle tank.

The Jordanian military-owned King Abdullah II Design and Development Bureau has decided to complete development and testing of the so-called Hybrid Turret. The project has been termed an interim solution for the Challenger-1, renamed the Al Hussein.

The King Abdullah bureau said in an announcement that the Hybrid Turret would be installed on the Challenger-1 pending the development of the more advanced Falcon-3 low-profile turret. The Hybrid Turret will be developed with Western contractors and will contain the 120 mm smoothbore gun developed by the Swiss firm RUAG.

King Abdullah reviewed the Hybrid Turret program in mid-2003 to determine its feasibility. But Jordanian sources said the program was granted final approval after delays were reported in the development of the Falcon.

I seem to recall that Jordan was also attempting some upgrade work on BMP's at some stage - does anyone recall this happening..?

A

Aussie Digger

No but it is interesting nonetheless. Is this the first moves of Jordan trying to become a regional arms supplier perhaps? I'm not aware of a heavy armour supplier in the middle east (besides Israel of course and that hardly counts...)

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Aussie Digger said:
No but it is interesting nonetheless. Is this the first moves of Jordan trying to become a regional arms supplier perhaps? I'm not aware of a heavy armour supplier in the middle east (besides Israel of course and that hardly counts...)
They've also done somefire control system upgrades to their M60's as well:

Jordan Upgrades M60 Fire Control

The Jordan Armed Forces have awarded Raytheon Technical Services Company LLC (Reston, VA) a $46.6-million contract to upgrade their M60 main battle tank with an Integrated Fire Control System (IFCS). Raytheon will upgrade 50 IFCS systems already installed in Jordanian M60 tanks under a prior contract, will install IFCS kits in 50 additional M60s, and will provide spares for all the systems. Raytheon will assemble and test the kits in Indianapolis, IN, and will provide technical assistance to Jordan Armed Forces personnel during the installation in Jordan. The IFCS is a full-director fire-control and stabilized synchronized cannon-sighting system. It features a forward-looking infrared (FLIR) thermal sight, an eye-safe laser rangefinder, a digital ballistic computer, and an improved turret-stabilization system. Operational performance enhancements provided include improved surveillance and target acquisition during moving engagements. Raytheon has been working with Jordan’s King Abdullah II Design and Development Bureau (KADDB) for the past three years on its Phoenix Level 1 IFCS upgrade and Level 2 Lethality upgrade efforts for the M60 main battle tank, a program designed to incrementally increase the M60’s operational capability. Through that effort, one battalion has been fitted with this upgrade capability and deployed and is currently in-service with the Jordan Armed Forces.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sorry nsdap_id, thats all I have at this stage..

STURM

KADB had previously come up with an upgrade package for the Scorpion with a new turret fitted with a fully auto 30mm canon and 2 external Russian ATGM launchers. Not sure if the Jordanian army has selected it.

My2Cents

It is a crew in hull design.

The crew is only 2 men (driver and commander/gunner), so ‘hunter-killer’ tactics are probably out. Though with a maximum rate of fire of only 8 rounds per minute this may not be seen as a problem.

Only carries 17 rounds in the turret. No indications of how addition rounds will be transferred from storage in the hull to the turret, but with a crew of 2 it will probably have to move back out of range to safely carry it out unless fully automated. Same problem with the machine gun, which is only 7.62mm.

Maintenance will be a problem. The Russians had to add an APC to each tank squadron to carry addition maintenance personnel when they went from 4 to 3 man crews. Don’t know if anyone else has had this problem.

Given the slow engagement speed from the 2 man crew and the lack of a secondary weapon with at least the capability to engage light armor like a .50 cal, I would rank this as a tank destroyer instead of a main battle tank. :argue