How good is the Su-35?

Sodais

I seems like a pretty cool plane,
Here are some facts bout the air-craft....

Aircraft Su-35
Type Fighter
Year 1996
Engine 2 x AL-37FU, turbojet
Wingspan 14.7 m
Length 21.96 m
Height 5.9 m
Weight 28000 kg/35000 kg
Max. speed 2500 km/h (2.35M)
Range 3700 km
Crew 1
Payload 8000 kg
Armament 1 x 30mm gun: GSh-301 (150 rnds),
12 x Air-to-Air missiles: AA-10, AA-11, AA-12
Air-to-Surface missiles: AS-12, AS-13, AS-14
Laser-Guided bombs: KAB-500

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I cannot recall the article I read recently - (maybe flight international from last month) where the head of sukhoi said that they should stop working on the su-3x series of jets as they were designed around a cold war mentality. they were hi speed dinosaurs according to him. he reinforced that russia needed to work on UCAVs as the US and the Europeans were...

I'll try and find it but I think it is nov/dec Flight Int edition)

Londo Molari

But actually currently the Su-3x series is Russias LARGEST military export... its selling many Su-30s (much more advanced than Su-27s) to India, China and Malaysia.

The Su-35 is not being pursued for production.

The Su-37 was also a technology demonstrator, not entering production.

But custom Su-30s with selected technologies from Su-35 and Su-37 are being sold left and right.

They are considered to be equal to modern 4rth generation U.S. fighters like Block 50 F-16s, F-15C, F/A-18 E/F...

Currently an airforce like India's or China's with their Su-30s can concievably fend-off an American attack (as long as its purely air-to-air) thanks to these Su-30s. Of course, the U.S. fighters will have the upper hand once again when they get fitted with the AESA radars, and eventually when the F-35 and F-22 take over.

But for right now, for small countries who do not want to buy expensive U.S. 4rth Gen aircraft (and which will surely come with political strings attached), the Su-30 series is very attractive... and effective.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Londo Molari said:
But actually currently the Su-3x series is Russias LARGEST military export... its selling many Su-30s (much more advanced than Su-27s) to India, China and Malaysia.

But custom Su-30s with selected technologies from Su-35 and Su-37 are being sold left and right.

They are considered to be equal to modern 4rth generation U.S. fighters like Block 50 F-16s, F-15C, F/A-18 E/F...

Currently an airforce like India's or China's with their Su-30s can concievably fend-off an American conventional pure air-to-air attack thanks to these Su-30s. Of course, the U.S. fighters will have the upper hand once again when they get fitted with the AESA radars, and eventually when the F-35 and F-22 take over.

But for right now, for small countries who do not want to buy expensive U.S. 4rth Gen aircraft (and which will surely come with political strings attached), the Su-30 series is very attractive... and effective.
thats true, the SU-3x series are the largest revenue earners for a russia that badly needs money. his comment I believe was about future directions.

Russia did try to offer the Aust air force the SU-34 as an F111 replacement - and it probably on statistics was a good fit. but we have always had concerns about reliability etc...

umair

Peace Enforcer
If it were'nt for the reliabilty issues,sukhoi's jets would have had agreater slice of the pie regarding military aircraft sales.
One example is the PAF. We test flew the Su-27 and Mig29M way back in 1992 when there was warmth in bilateral relations with Russia compareable with today.The Flanker was virtually selected an the Russians were ready to modify the cockpit and Ecm,avionics layout according to our standards.
The whole deal blew up cause the Directorate General Maintanence deemed the fighter as being way up on maintanence downtime.
There was also political pressure from India's side on Russia.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
umair said:
If it were'nt for the reliabilty issues,sukhoi's jets would have had agreater slice of the pie regarding military aircraft sales.
One example is the PAF. We test flew the Su-27 and Mig29M way back in 1992 when there was warmth in bilateral relations with Russia compareable with today.The Flanker was virtually selected an the Russians were ready to modify the cockpit and Ecm,avionics layout according to our standards.
The whole deal blew up cause the Directorate General Maintanence deemed the fighter as being way up on maintanence downtime.
There was also political pressure from India's side on Russia.
It does get back to an issue of the cold war doctrine for war fighting. The soviets were going to engage in a blitzkrieg of saturated mass and firepower, so any units that failed would be rolled over by reinforcements.

ie the platforms were designed to reach an objective and it didn't matter if they were expendable. I think that the mindset is still pervasive in russian manufacturing. you only have to look at GAZ, Zils, Lada, Belarus etc.. the quality control was appalling. They were built to go "A to B" and nothing else really mattered.

umair

Peace Enforcer
corsair7772 said:
Does any1 know how wide is the gap between the Su-27SK and the Su-30?
As far as I know the difference between the new Su-27 and the Su30 is that the former does not have a WSO unlike the latter which has one.
P.S I'm confused with regards to the designation given to the new upgraded multirole FlankerBs is it Su-27SK or Su-27SM? :help

Londo Molari

the flanker designations are the most confusing, because every flanker has an Su-27### designation.

Su-27 is the original plain aircraft. Su-30 is basically a heavily upgraded Su-27... its like ordering a custom pizza... you order different toppings, or upgrades rather...all the Su-30s are different... some are much better than the Su-27s, some are only a little better.

quicksilver

The Su-37 made a fascinating debut at Farnborough '96 even though it had been known about for over two years. It is the latest in the line of many Flanker variants produced by Sukhoi, the leading member of the "dead" Russian aerospace industry. It is remarkable, not only from the standpoint that it represents perhaps our most dangerous threat and competitor, but also from the fact that it exists at all. The following is an attempt to summarize the design approach characteristic to Sukhoi fighters and with that some of the information learned about the latest of the line, the Su-37 Thrust Vectored Control (TVC) fighter.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
:cop :cop :cop :cop :cop :cop

Admin:

You are not paying attention to multiple requests about providing source material.

If you cannot comply with such requests you will be banned. I do not want to spend my time editing and responding to all of your posts!

You do not need to respond to everything posted - slow down and think about what you can actually respond to with at least some of your own input.

My patience is wearing thin.

----------------------------------------------------------

All posters please read the following.

When you quote references you must show the source - this is to make sure that we are not exposed to issues of copywrite - it is also an issue of being fair and giving credit to the original source and/or authors. Please remember this in future

One lined responses are unacceptable from this point on as discussed some time ago. Posts that do not comply will be deleted automatically. Repeat offenders will go through the "3 strikes and you're out" cycle.

These are not complicated rules to remember - and they will be enforced by all mods.

If you are new to the forums it would pay to read the rules regarding respect and behaviour.

Pendekar

As far as I know the difference between the new Su-27 and the Su30 is that the former does not have a WSO unlike the latter which has one.
P.S I'm confused with regards to the designation given to the new upgraded multirole FlankerBs is it Su-27SK or Su-27SM?
The aircrafts was so heavily customize, it exist in many variants.

Aegis

How abt the Su-33 Flanker of the carrier version? How good is the ability compare to Su-30Mkk in terms of naval strike capabilites?

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
Now what does the capability of Su-35 have to do with India? Please don't turn the topic into an "India kicks ass" one.Jeez I can't even browse the forum for 3 seconds without seeing the word Pakistan or India these days.

Please go on with the discussion.

onslaught

Currently an airforce like India's or China's with their Su-30s can concievably fend-off an American attack (as long as its purely air-to-air) thanks to these Su-30s. Of course, the U.S. fighters will have the upper hand once again when they get fitted with the AESA radars, and eventually when the F-35 and F-22 take over.

according to www.warfare.ru and http://www.milavia.net/aircraft/su-35/su-35.htm

the Su-35 is in service (11 of them according to www.warfare.ru)

onslaught

Su-35 seems to be a pretty nice plane with many improvements from the Su-27

Cockpit: LCD's and a lot less dials than the Su-27
HOTAS
Engines: AL-31FM (more powerful than the basic AL-31F)
AL-31FP with TVC (this is on newer Su-35's)
Weapons: RVV-AE (AMRAAM-ski)
Radar: N011M (has terrain mapping)

these are just some of the upgrade but you can go to http://www.milavia.net/aircraft/su-35/su-35.htm or
http://www.sci.fi/~fta/ruaf-ap2.htm
for more info (i got my info from these two sites)