India possesses 50 to 100 nuclear devices

suleman

By Rana Mubashir

ISLAMABAD: India has between 50 to 100 nuclear devices and can deliver its nuclear weapons against targets in Pakistan by French Mirages and Soviet SU-30 fighter-bombers, and indigenous Agni medium-range missiles.

It is working on a longer range missile - the Agni plus capable of striking major urban centres in eastern China. India is also aggressively developing a submarine-based delivery system to have the third leg of a nuclear triad. And based on its high-tech nuclear know-how it is on its way to develop a submarine-based launch capability.

These are the findings of an Independent Task Force co-sponsored by the Council on Foreign Relations and the Asia Society - chaired by former US Ambassador to India Frank G Wisner II, former US Ambassador to Pakistan Nicholas Platt and President of the Chicago Council on Foreign Relations Marshall M Bouton.

The 1998-99 Talbott-Singh talks failed to obtain agreement on India’s freezing production of fissile material, signing the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty (CTBT), or adopting other nuclear restraints.

The Bush administration has not pressed on this front except to urge stricter Indian controls over the exports of materials and technology that could be used for WMD. On the CTBT both Pakistan and India appear to be on the same page given by the Bush administration’s opposition to the treaty. Both continue to maintain respective moratoria on testing, but US decisions on developing new types of nuclear weapons like bunker busters could have an impact on Indian thinking, the findings say.

Barring some sort of South Asian arms agreement, India and Pakistan are almost certain to continue with their nuclear weapon capabilities in response to what each perceives the other is doing. This is similarly true with regard to missile-delivery systems. Thus, especially in the absence of India-Pakistan nuclear discussions and confidence-building measures the threat of any major conflict going nuclear remains real, the findings warn.
:arrow:
http://jang.com.pk/thenews/index.html

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
One would hope that this conflict can be settled without resorting to war. A nuclear engagement would see the absolute destruction of both countries....

For my own education, can someone give me a neutral overview of the history of this tension. I don't want to get people sledging each other. but I'd like to understand it from local perceptions and perspectives.

elkaboingo

well see it all started in 1974....
india had just tested a nuke and Bhutto said we'd test one too even if we had to eat horse feed. we tried to get a reprocessing plant from france but they turned us down so we had to build a nuke by enriching euranium. so our scientist cold tested their explosion device to start the nuke reaction. they assembled a bomb that could be tested in a short period of time(there was no excuse to test one at the time)
in 1998 india tested some nukes(one was claimed to be thermonuclear but it was just a boosted nuke) and about 2 weeks later we tested one too.

suleman

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
hi elkaboingo welcome here.

Well gf0012 india tested its first nuclear test in 70's and call it as a peaceful test.This caused and urgency in Pakistan and they statrted all out efforts to make nuclear bomb.Dr.Qdeer solved this problem for us.Coz india Pakistan's enimity is not hidden from anyone.How can we allow them to take a lead in this field when they are greater in millitary stregth and numbers.So to balance the power it was necessary and to stop india from launching attacks on pakistan,whic sucessfully happened.
Now in my 1998 it took another turn when India tested again and immidiately threaten to attack Pakistan as they doubt that Pakistan had this capabilty and in responce Pakistan tested too.But it was not Pakistan's intention to do so but was forced to do so.We never started this race of WMD but have to do for our survival.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
From a logical perspective, and what I never understood with the USA and Russia was the need to build more and more nukes.

The superpowers could have split this planet into two pieces with the amount of nukes they had.

If both countries know that they run the risk of total destruction as each has a capacity to visit destruction on the other - why would you build more?

I just see that this has the potential to escalate into something that no one wants. Without restraint, it can become a self fulfilling prophecy..

suleman

yes but Pakistan is not making too many nukes rather mantaining min deteraince level.But indeed they are not toys they are weapons of mass destruction.I believe that whole world shud be clean from them.Every country finish them.As it wont be fair to stop some and allow some.Secondly from how long we can stop countries from getting or making nukes.Almost every country wants them and many trying too.

The Watcher

elkaboingo said:
india had just tested a nuke and nawaz sharif said we'd test one too even if we had to eat horse feed. we tried to get a reprocessing plant from france but they turned us down so we had to build a nuke by enriching euranium. so our scientist cold tested their explosion device to start the nuke reaction. they assembled a bomb that could be tested in a short period of time(there was no excuse to test one at the time)
in 1998 india tested some nukes(one was claimed to be thermonuclear but it was just a boosted nuke) and about 2 weeks later we tested one too.
It was bhutto who said we ll test one too even if we have to eat grass, etc. not nawaz sharif the thug!

So basically nuclear arms race was started by India... :roll

elkaboingo

Originally posted by elkaboingo:
india had just tested a nuke and nawaz sharif said we'd test one too even if we had to eat horse feed. we tried to get a reprocessing plant from france but they turned us down so we had to build a nuke by enriching euranium. so our scientist cold tested their explosion device to start the nuke reaction. they assembled a bomb that could be tested in a short period of time(there was no excuse to test one at the time)

It was bhutto who said we ll test one too even if we have to eat grass, etc. not nawaz sharif the thug!
YES! thanks that was the guy on the poster thats everywhere. :)
sorry i was trying to quote the watcher. the quote button is UNDER the post :D

Red aRRow

Forum Bouncer
Pakistan's nuclear program started with the setup of the KANUPP (Karachi Nuclear Power Plant) with Canadian assistance during the days of Ayub Khan's rule. It turned into a military one after India's detonation of a nuclear device.

suleman

To[elkaboingo]

Actually "yes" was to show that i agree with gf0012 and just added a bit to what he said. :)

elkaboingo

gf0012 said:
From a logical perspective, and what I never understood with the USA and Russia was the need to build more and more nukes.

The superpowers could have split this planet into two pieces with the amount of nukes they had.

If both countries know that they run the risk of total destruction as each has a capacity to visit destruction on the other - why would you build more?

I just see that this has the potential to escalate into something that no one wants. Without restraint, it can become a self fulfilling prophecy..
yeah after a certain amount of nukes having more is just pointless. i think the main reason for so many nukes is to scare teh enemy and to have them in many places i.e. subs, other countries...

elkaboingo

suleman said:
To[elkaboingo]

Actually "yes" was to show that i agree with gf0012 and just added a bit to what he said. :)
sorry read the edited post and you'll undertand :D .
btw, do you know what happened to pdf? doesnt seem to be working. :(

umair

Peace Enforcer
elkaboingo said:
suleman said:
To[elkaboingo]

sorry read the edited post and you'll undertand :D .
btw, do you know what happened to pdf? doesnt seem to be working. :(
Server's down due to exhausting of bandwidth limit. :roll

suleman

thats what seems to be,that server is down.Now i dont know its coz of server or someone else doin it or upgrades of site.

Su_37

Well frist thing is that ...

1) India need to conduct Nuclear Test , for reason is that , India nuclear wepons are home made and it is not tested , while PAK wepons are based on China's first generartion blue print.

India need to test to veryfy its desogn , where as pak nuclear wepons design is already tested and verified .

2) Well no one in India knows how many Putonium balls was their in the secret DROD Under ground LAB. MOreover thier is no Written Record of this.

Indian's nuclear programm is beast kept secret , even indian's also don;t know it. CAG which do audit of all departs can't able to do of India's Nuclear Agency , beacuse it can't trace money.

It is all done becasue CIA inflletrate india and knows many things about india , only thing the world is not know about india is their NUclear programm and delivery things .

ullu

We all know Russia gave india their nukes so stop twisting the facts. :lolol

India's delivery system is mainly missiles!

Su_37

ullu said:
We all know Russia gave india their nukes so stop twisting the facts. :lolol

India's delivery system is mainly missiles!

For you kind information , India's main delivery systems are Mirage-2000 and India also negotiatinf for the purchase of 150 - 200 Mirage 200-5 form France to make its Strategic Nuclear Airforce under direct control of Chief of Staff.

Regarding , russia , if US stooped Russia providing Crygonicc Technology in 90's , so how do u think it close its eyes on Nuclear transfer.

Moreover Russian wepons are based on Uranium . but indians Nuclear programm is based on Plutonium , so Russian can't help india Much.

India also make head way in FAst breeder reacters , which is howm grown technology, Indian's most things are home made and worlds dertifies it .

If Russian provided that tech , then indian missiles all ready build by 80's not take 30 years of reaserch.

India has very strong manufacturing base and india and build things on its own.

sukhoiman

Some people say india started the nuke race. Yes in the south asia context yes.....but in the asia context it was china. Sorry, India cannot stand back and let China get nukes....if china's massive army is supposed to steamroll anything in their path...why did they get nukes in the first place? It was a chain reaction really.

First U.S got nukes, then russia did, then U.K followed and the frenchies had to do it....then U.S paranoid China did...which caused india to get them and which caused pak to get them and then caused israel to get them and possibly N.K and Iran now.

The resemblance to the splitting of an atom is striking :).