PAF adds more K-8's to its inventory

DarthChorley

Just read the latest AFM and according to a news item within it the PAF have inducted 6 more K-8 trainers into their inventory. they will also be replacing their FT-5 Trainers. looks like the PAF isnt sitting idle after all.

Oqaab

K-8 were meant to replace T-37s isnt it ?? FT-5 can still serve as a trainer to F-7s.

Anyways, great news. :D

umair

Peace Enforcer
Yeah! China can but not without Pakistan agreeing.(common practice in case of joint ventures)
P.S I have also come to know that the K8 can be used as apoint defence fighter equipped with 2 AIM-9Ps and one 23mm canon pod.I wonder what good this'll do except in early weapon trainning.
P.S this point defence capability is not mentioned any where in the stats,I came to know about it from my uncle.

elkaboingo

umair said:
Yeah! China can but not without Pakistan agreeing.(common practice in case of joint ventures)
P.S I have also come to know that the K8 can be used as apoint defence fighter equipped with 2 AIM-9Ps and one 23mm canon pod.I wonder what good this'll do except in early weapon trainning.
P.S this point defence capability is not mentioned any where in the stats,I came to know about it from my uncle.
i read somewhere that sd-10 could be put on it making it and OK last defence.

umair

Peace Enforcer
elkaboingo said:
umair said:
i read somewhere that sd-10 could be put on it making it and OK last defence.
Buddy! the SD-10 (for that matter any radar guided missile) can only be used with aircraft equipped with airborne intercept radars.The K-8 does not carry any intercept radar and thus is limited to visual engagements.There is no way that the SD-10 can be integrated with the K-8s in their present form.
P.S elkaboingo u from pdf?

kilo_4que

Posting after a long time though I come across someone mentioning the Ft-5 as a trainer to the F-7s. Well y should the PAF want to rely on old technology when they already have modern technology (so called) available. I mean PAF alread have a couple of Ft-7 which are the trainer versions of the F-7 and are the most equivalent to each other. The Ft-5s are old and are way too old with regards to avionics and other technicsin order to come close to acting as first hand trainers for the F-7s. Yes we can keep them as basic trainers though for F-7 training purposes, PAF needs to induct more Ft-7s.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
kilo_4que said:
Posting after a long time though I come across someone mentioning the Ft-5 as a trainer to the F-7s. Well y should the PAF want to rely on old technology when they already have modern technology (so called) available. I mean PAF alread have a couple of Ft-7 which are the trainer versions of the F-7 and are the most equivalent to each other. The Ft-5s are old and are way too old with regards to avionics and other technicsin order to come close to acting as first hand trainers for the F-7s. Yes we can keep them as basic trainers though for F-7 training purposes, PAF needs to induct more Ft-7s.
The K-8 is useful as it can serve in a CAS role if required. It's there to serve as a lead in fighter. (much like the BAE Hawks, Alphas, macchi MB3 series etc...)

You don't need 'F-"nn"7's for all combat roles, they need to be preserved for the sharp end of the spear. K-8's as a CAS means that they can be used to "worry" logistics columns, masses of troops, even some shipping (depending on the threat)

Use them appropriately and they are just as outcome critical as the primary combat fleet.

Roger Smith

Oqaab said:
We are making 40% of the K-8 components. China can export the aircraft, not Pakistan.
China has exported K-8 jet trainers to Zambia, Burma and Egypt has ordered approx. 200 K-8 with transfer of technology and to be manufactured in Egypt.

corsair7772

Verified Defense Pro
If china exports the K-8 2 a country like the egyptians.....doesnt pakistan get a cut from the sale 2? :?

Roger Smith

corsair7772 said:
If china exports the K-8 2 a country like the egyptians.....doesnt pakistan get a cut from the sale 2? :?
Chinese are the smartest business people, they are controlling the K-8 jet trainers project and are the larger share holder partner on the venture. They would not care as to partnership is concerned.

All Chinese aircraft technology are copied or duplicated from the Russian like MiG-21 and Chinese version F-7 without paying any royalty to the Russian.

So far I feel China has provided 6 or 8 K-8 to Pakistan since past 10 years.

umair

Peace Enforcer
Actually the total number of K-8s in service(this batch included) is 24.Pakistan has bought 60 more Garret turbofans( PAF K-8s are powered by Garret engines) for 60 more K-8s to be assembled in Pakistan till mid 2007.
To all,Pakistan has a major say in the sale agreements of the K-8 as the basic design was by Pakistanis,which was later expanded on jointly by Pakistani and Chinese designers.We also get a cut of the prooceeds from K-8 export deals.
The design team from PAF's side was led by Air Cmdr. Zakir Khan Wing Commander Athar Qureshi and one more person(My source does not remember his name)

Roger Smith

umair said:
Actually the total number of K-8s in service(this batch included) is 24.Pakistan has bought 60 more Garret turbofans( PAF K-8s are powered by Garret engines) for 60 more K-8s to be assembled in Pakistan till mid 2007.
To all,Pakistan has a major say in the sale agreements of the K-8 as the basic design was by Pakistanis,which was later expanded on jointly by Pakistani and Chinese designers.We also get a cut of the prooceeds from K-8 export deals.
The design team from PAF's side was led by Air Cmdr. Zakir Khan Wing Commander Athar Qureshi and one more person(My source does not remember his name)
Can you please verify the aforementioned with a link or a site.

umair

Peace Enforcer
Roger Smith said:
umair said:
Sorry there is no link or site accompanying this.I got this info from some relatives in Pakistani armed forces and also from somebody else whos father was a high level officer in the PAF.
It's just the word of a knowledgable few against others ;)

Roger Smith

umair said:
Roger Smith said:
umair said:
Sorry there is no link or site accompanying this.I got this info from some relatives in Pakistani armed forces and also from somebody else whos father was a high level officer in the PAF.
It's just the word of a knowledgable few against others ;)
Your story make no sense. K-8 is a jet trainer and not a spy plane like U-2 that the media is kept out for security on factor of national interest or secrecy.

At the height of border tension between Pakistan and India in 2002, China supplied 40 F-7MG fighters via Karachi port and it was in every news media.
http://samariaF0.tripod.com/parakram13.html

In my view Pakistan's stock of K-8 is still 6 units., due to strain of funds it is unable to obtain further supply.

umair

Peace Enforcer
You can say whatever u like Smith.I know I'm telling the truth and thats it! :eek:
Believeing it or not is u'r problem.