Javelin killing a T-80 (test firing)

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
WebMaster said:
:eek

Great video!!! Its impressive! Would it be able to kill Abrams, etc???
Personally I think its an assisted shot. Tanks don't normally blow like that. Typically the turret will get airborne and land a few metres away from zero point. They might have left a leaking fuel tank inside as well. ;)

Russian T series tanks (and all the foreign derivatives that are spawned from it) are bloody terrible death traps as targets as they have their baskets etc hanging on the outside. So it would have made a mess anyway.
AFAIK any of the current generation western MANPATS would kill a russian T.

That missile approach was a top down attack, any tank in production would be vulnerable from such an attack. (which is why the US has considered MLRS as tank killers)

Its a salutory lesson in the fact that armour doesn't always provide protection. Remember the old german and russian infantry doctrine of gathering around a tank while it clears targets of opportunity moving forward. The last thing you'd want to do in a modern battlefield is act like a walking magnet. ;)

umair

Peace Enforcer
Nice video! :eek You sure can pick which ones to show gf ;) .
If I were atank driver I'd make sure that I was atleast 10 miles away from an infantry squad packing these missiles. :bazooka :ar15 :gun

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Majin-Vegeta said:
oOOoH! :eek so Thats how they BloW uP

:cop sound dee alarm! were under attack :p
the first mov looks assisted, the second one (from the ADF web site) looks pretty much like the real thing.

even so, I would not want to be sitting in that T series when it brewed up...

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Re: Live firing of Javelin ATGW

Tatra, I believe you'll find that this video already exists on the site. I posted the original one some time ago.

tatra

Verified Defense Pro
Thanks Mods. Still makes for good viewing! I think the target MBT must have been carrying a full load of fuel and ammo for such a detonation to occur.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
tatra said:
Thanks Mods. Still makes for good viewing! I think the target MBT must have been carrying a full load of fuel and ammo for such a detonation to occur.
In military terms it's referred to as an "assisted shot"

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
most likely an assisted shot, tanks don't blow up lk dat. when a missils hits the tank it won't generate such big flames. i dunno if u guys ever saw a real ATGM shot b4, all u'll see is a lot of smoke at the impact point, not lk the movies where they got those big-ass explosions.
but i think the javelin can pierce through any tank's top armour, providing if the tank does not have 3rd generation reactive armour installed.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Pathfinder-X said:
most likely an assisted shot, tanks don't blow up lk dat. when a missils hits the tank it won't generate such big flames. i dunno if u guys ever saw a real ATGM shot b4, all u'll see is a lot of smoke at the impact point, not lk the movies where they got those big-ass explosions.
but i think the javelin can pierce through any tank's top armour, providing if the tank does not have 3rd generation reactive armour installed.
The Javelin will punch through ERA supplimentary armour as well.

adsH

gf0012 said:
Pathfinder-X said:
The Javelin will punch through ERA supplimentary armour as well.
what about explosive-reactive armour of the new generation tanks i believe it blunts the armor pearcing ability by superficial mini explosions rite !! its layers of mini explosis on the hull.