Iran to upgrade medium-range missiles

The Watcher

Here I come israel? :p

Iran to upgrade medium-range missiles

TEHRAN (Reuters) - Iran will upgrade its medium-range Shahab-3 missiles that analysts say can hit Israel and U.S. bases in the Gulf rather than develop a new, longer range weapon, a senior official was quoted as saying on Monday.

Acting Defence Minister Hossein Dehghan denied reports Iran intended to build a new missile, Shahab-4, with a 2000-kilometre range, but said the Shahab-3 would be improved.

"We will be optimising our Shahab-3 instead," he was quoted as saying in the hardline Siyasat-e Rouz newspaper.

Shahab is Persian for shooting star.

It was not immediately clear whether "optimising" meant improving the weapon's accuracy, range or its firepower. Defence Ministry officials were not immediately available for comment.

Tehran test-fired the Shahab-3 in June. It is thought capable of carrying a warhead of more than a tonne about 1,300 kilometres.

Read the FULL articl here

corsair7772

Verified Defense Pro
Now that Iran has Israel in range its going 2 improve the missiles payload, range and survivbility. So i dont think any changes in range will take place unless it wants 2 target Europe as well.

The Watcher

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Iran is gradually increasing range of its missiles.

I believe, Iran will make more missiles just not publisize them due to pressure from EU and US. When the time comes it may have the right missile to hit at the right place.

nsdap_id

Actually, they have latest technology to make a Shahab-5 ICBM that is supposedly, able to reach USA and itself based on North Korea's No-Dong ones.

They concealed cunningly to avoid US and Israeli lovers of it screaming so loudly :nutkick

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The issue with these missiles/rockets is that they have not been tested over a sufficiient distance to establish whether the targetting systems work.

You cannot test these entirely on a computer system. sooner or later you have to fire one and see where it lands.

I suspect that the one thrown past Japan was such a test. Japan now considers that any future launches will warrant a response.

There is a very great difference between throwing a missile over Japan and launching an ICBM that must cross other countires to reach its target.

Can you imagine what would happen if North Korea launched an ICBM and it's tracking mechanism failed and it landed in Jakarta , Tokyo or even the Phillipines? (imagine if it went to a broken arrow stage and landed in China)

The gyros they have been using are not suitable for any distance greater than 400k's. Beyond that and it could land anywhere.