Pak Army Wins Inter Contingent Firing Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.

suleman

FREE TOWN, Sierra Leone : April 29 (PNS) - Pakistan Army troops serving under aegis of UN Peacekeeping mission in Sierra Leone won the first ever inter contingent firing competition held at the capital city Free Town.

In a five day firing competition the teams from Pakistan, Ukraine, Nigeria, Bangladesh, Jordan, Guinea, Kenya, Nepal and Zambia enthusiastically participated in pistol and rifle competition. Pakistan Army troops outclassed their rivals to win both the competitions. The Contingents of Ukraine and Nigeria won the second and third position respectively.

The special representative of Secretary General of UN Mr. Daudi Ngelautwa Mwakawago who was the chief guest on this occasion awarded the winner trophy to the Pakistani team. Appreciating the very high standard of professional excellence of the Pakistani troops, he said that Pakistani troops during last three years have proved to be the most professional outfit among the contingents serving under UN flag in Sierra Leone. He said that the Pakistan Army troops have not only won hearts and minds of the Sierra Leoneons but have also earned respect for their professional excellence among armies of the world serving in this war ravaged country and in the UN headquarters.

Maj General Sajjad Akram, Force Commander UNAMSIL, Defense Minister of Sierra Leone along with all the Sector commanders also witnessed the final of the firing competition. Lieutenant Colonel Shukran Rafique, Major Mehboob and Captain Touqeer of Pakistan contingent were declared the best firers of the competition.

http://www.paknews.com/sports.php?id=2&date1=2004-04-28

This proves the professionalism of Pakistan army.

waris

Pak Army is indeed one of the best professionsal and dedicated Army in the world. The firing competetion won away from her home land reflects the marvelous training standards being maintained by this great instititution as they believe that with so many years of examples behind us they have no excuse when fighting for not fighting well
Captain Waqas

srirangan

Banned Member
In a five day firing competition the teams from Pakistan, Ukraine, Nigeria, Bangladesh, Jordan, Guinea, Kenya, Nepal and Zambia enthusiastically participated in pistol and rifle competition. Pakistan Army troops outclassed their rivals to win both the competitions. The Contingents of Ukraine and Nigeria won the second and third position respectively.
Ahem .. No offence.

P.A.F

well with the reduction of 50 000 and induction of more deadly Al-khalids i think that the pak army has improved it's might ;)

srirangan

Banned Member
Just look at the list of the other countires participating. Anyyway congrats to the Pak team, winning is always an achievement. :smokingc:

mysterious

At least for me, Ukraine and Jordan wera good match. Dont know how Nigeria got the one of the runners-up spot though. :smokingc:

srirangan

Banned Member
Yeah Ukraine and Jordan were better than the rest, we Indians have a lot of respect for Nepal too. But I agree, Pakistan is a class apart from the other countries over there..

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
wonder how they do if they try to qualifying at U.S army marksmanship training, or canadian army one. I hit 19 targets in one clip at the range of 100 to 300 meters when i qualify(without scope).

A

Aussie Digger

It's always good for morale to win a comp like this, but it would be interesting to see how countries went in a truly international military shooting competition. Australia runs one every year known as the Australian Army Skill at Arms Meeting (AASAM). This is one of the most widely attended competitions in the world, with contingents usually attending from the USA (US Army and Marine Corps) UK Army and RAF Regiment, contingents also usually attend from Canada, New Zealand, Singapore, Malaysia, South Africa, Fiji, New Caledonia (French Army) and Australia of course. The competition is always intense, but Australia always does well. We don't always win, even though we have the "home ground advantage" but we usually do very well. I also read about an International Sniper Competition in Canada a couple of years back. An Aussie Sniper came third in that behind 2 US Marine Corps Snipers I believe. Maybe Pathfinder can shed some more light on this?

Here's an article about the Australian AASAM meeting in 2002. Cheers

http://www.defence.gov.au/news/armynews/editions/1062/topstories/story02.htm

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
srirangan said:
What exactly is this "homeground advantage"? Does the gravity stay stable for only the home team? Or has the wind and the magnetic field got to do with interfering with only the foreign teams?

:p
what he means by homeground is that the home team is familiar with the facility around the base. it's like when you play football in your own stadium, you'll feel more confident.

and im sorry aussie, i heard about what you mentioned, but i wasn't even in the army at that time so naturally i have no idea what happened. but i do know a canadian sniper(a guy in PPCLI) score a kill in afganistan at the range of close to 2200 meters, broke a U.S marine sniper's record in vietnam by roughly a 100 meters.

A

Aussie Digger

Yah I heard about that too. I also heard Canadian Snipers got into trouble in Afghanistan for being too "enthusiastic" or something. The article I read was very negative towards the Canadian Army Hierarchy and Canadian Politicians and very pro: Canadian Soldiers. By "homeground advantage" I simply meant that the Australian contingent was more familiar with the firing range than the international contingent, as might be expected...

srirangan

Banned Member
I just asked what the "homeground advantage" would be. That's not BS, the person who's deleted it should be atleast sourtious enough to inform the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.