R&D in Pakistan Defense Industry

faisalkhan67

Hi!

R&D plays a very important role in bringing new ideas and innovations in any industry. Pakistan defense industry seriously lacks in the field of research & development :( . Anyone having an idea where Pakistan's defense industry stands in relation with research and innovation to make something new.

Thanks

Faisal

adsH

A very good point but R&D is not usually directly owned by commercial industries alot of R&d comes from Universities where minds work where people think !! there is sposed to be a partnership with comercial industries and Private and Governmental Academic institutions where reseach funding should come from Private and governmental institutions. aperently there is Biotechnical and chemical reaserch in pakistan but no R&D in Engineering. there is still R&D in The Military but it is negligible.

suleman

Pakistan is certainly performing very well in defence technology and R&D.Most well known areas are Nuclear(plutonium bombs which is result of massive R&D),missiles(solid fuel and anti jamming),Microchipping,Electronic warfare,Radars,Laser tracking and guideing systems,Settelites(espacially spy),Aircrafts and avionics,Submarines,Light arms and ammonition,Communication and Signals etc etc etc.Massive amount of R&D is taking place in all above mentioned areas and some resulta are visible other will be in near future.But certainly there is a space for lot of improvement in this sector.

adsH

suleman said:
Pakistan is certainly performing very well in defence technology and R&D.Most well known areas are Nuclear(plutonium bombs which is result of massive R&D),missiles(solid fuel and anti jamming),Microchipping,Electronic warfare,Radars,Laser tracking and guideing systems,Settelites(espacially spy),Aircrafts and avionics,Submarines,Light arms and ammonition,Communication and Signals etc etc etc.Massive amount of R&D is taking place in all above mentioned areas and some resulta are visible other will be in near future.But certainly there is a space for lot of improvement in this sector.
i think if pakistan chose this path based on past experiences when Pakistan was blockaded and Refused any help from Allied countries but now that those days are over and Pak army is becomeing more Capable they should keep there relation with the world powers at really friendly terms like for instance in Iraq if the Pak army helps The US then they will take this realy to there hearts (yes Americans do have a heart) it would be appreciated and the Media Won't have a blast over Pakistan at all. becuase Bashing troops that are fighting for you would be considered unpatriotic!!. this should allow Pakistan to develop a deaper relation with The US LIke Turkey has, Turkey is an Islamic Country (secular) but has atleast a hundred year old relation. with the US. Pakistan should become completely economically driven nation. they should aquire what ever they need in terms of equipment and tech nology from the US like Israel Tiwan and S.Korea and Sweden. Good peaacefull Activities would allow Pakistan to gain even more increased access to US top Acedemic institutions which would only improve the Research ability of Pakistan. Pakistan should chose a War and a side(wither with the rest of the world or against it) like they have chosen neither China nor The US there at war with the terrorist and this is a common enemy to every one i guess!! so they should stay against this enemy and help China and US fight it!! in return all PAkistan would or should, asks is to live in peace i don't think Pakistan wan'ts to be a super power like india they wan't to exsist freely without any presure on there teroterity being attacked (or bullied Self respect for a nation is important)!! Pakistan has made it clear it wan'ts to become a Welfare state like the European states so the government is not Capitalistic in nature. ie they would like to spend money on improving the existing health care infrastructure with Education one of the Top priority. Sure they are trying to gain high level of Growth but its only to compensate the ten years of lack of improvement and the damage done to the economy Once Pakistan has passed the traditional 80's Asian states growth phase and is in sync with other states Pakistan would bring down the growth at a lower but more real sustainable rate( the rate may come down on its own if the traditional Busines cycle would apply) which would compensate for its Population growth and yet have room for growth ie abit richer every year. Russia is seaking pakistans help in the Anti coruption systems that Pakistan has installed. NAB (National Acounting beu) which was set up to primarily investigate frauds an corruption in Govermental military dealing. NAB also controls the enitire funds dispersal meaning any transaction that exceds i think 10 million Ruppee has to to validated with NAB(NAb is gunned primarily by The MIlitary) the military would always keep a bigger hand in all dealings.
The money that Pakistan is collecting up in there Banks. to me is a clear sign that pakistan is stil not too sure if they can sustain the growth rate or the trade INcome which is in surpluss ( ie they are exportin more i think now than whct they import) they have achieved this could only mean that pakistan is not sure if it can sustain a longterm stable tradeing relationship with the west ie they(pak) think that there future poloicy would collide with the rest of the western world so Pakistan is trying to collect the as much currency it can to make sure it will be able to provide payment to lender banks. i believe the Finance minister used the term "Cushion" it's a falling back counter measure a short term emergency plaan. how ever if they become more confident on there economic ties then they would be able to invest the money that they have collected, into there economy that would provide investment in the inner circular flow provide a massive boost in the economy meaing more jobs and more productivity!! Every penny in your bank that is not utilized is opertunity cost for growth and development her in the uk the government makes sure that it has the least amount of money in its account with the Bank of England so it sustains the least effect of opertunity cost of growth and development. Any economy storeing up large amounts of surpluss cash is either too stupid and dome or is either scared of the storm that is about to come!!!!

sorry about this i got carried away with this economy thing but its always good to see what a countries monetary policy is it tells you blatantly what the country is doing even if the Politicians speak of something else . Polotics is a game of deception but Economics has no deception. a politician can lie to there people but an economist cannot :)

suleman

Dear ur correct abt Pakistan collecting money very rapidly.And its all because of past experiences because every time USA and europe become friends when they need u but when their work is done they become enemies.Soo its nice to get benifits from them as fast as possible.
I prefer that in these good relations we get technology,education and industry from them rather then buying hardware or getting money only.But things are very complicated for Pakistan.We have huge amount of loan on us and if we need economic growth then we need to get rid of them.Soo we cant do everything as we wish and need to do many things according to the current situation both political and economic.

suleman

There are thousand areas to spend money but the first and basic aim should be to develop infrastructure and bases which provide us with contineous revenues for the development,R&D,Education,Defence etc.
Thats what govt is also trying to do by spending money to reduce the dept and then investing on long term plans which can generate revenues for consistent growth.Dams,Gawadar,Agriculture,IT etc are few such areas.
Debts are the basic hurdle in all this work and we have to get rid of them also.Soo even if we want to spend on R&D section more we cant do it as required.But after 3-4 years i hope we will be.

adsH

suleman said:
There are thousand areas to spend money but the first and basic aim should be to develop infrastructure and bases which provide us with contineous revenues for the development,R&D,Education,Defence etc.
Thats what govt is also trying to do by spending money to reduce the dept and then investing on long term plans which can generate revenues for consistent growth.Dams,Gawadar,Agriculture,IT etc are few such areas.
Debts are the basic hurdle in all this work and we have to get rid of them also.Soo even if we want to spend on R&D section more we cant do it as required.But after 3-4 years i hope we will be.
i hink debts aren't going any where for atleast 30 years althought they will not effect the ecomic activity if the political situations remain constant

XEROX

How many satellites have Pakistan got in lower orbit and how many of those are “spy†satellites - which have derived from pakistans research and development programme

adsH

PJ-10 BrahMos said:
How many satellites have Pakistan got in lower orbit and how many of those are “spy†satellites - which have derived from pakistans research and development programme
lol i have no idea but i think Now that Pak is MNNA it can Lease or Buy US satellites directly from US firms. it can even sell US satellites around the world.

XEROX

In general the MMNA status allows a country a few more perks to help develop its economy that is the primary incentive; however there are secondary perks available to Pakistan in forms of its military,

1. Offer large loans with small debt repayment package

2. More money in aid package

3. Pakistan's new position will get it preferential treatment in defence supplies from the United States, special financial assistance for military research and special privileges in U.S military training for Pakistan's military

4. Being able to share degree of modern technology, though not duel use technology

It’s wrong to presume that Pakistan can obtain military satellites from the U.S, by waiving there MMNA declaration, but they could lease satellites which are not meant for duel use roles

adsH

PJ-10 BrahMos said:
In general the MMNA status allows a country a few more perks to help develop its economy that is the primary incentive; however there are secondary perks available to Pakistan in forms of its military,

1. Offer large loans with small debt repayment package

2. More money in aid package

3. Pakistan's new position will get it preferential treatment in defence supplies from the United States, special financial assistance for military research and special privileges in U.S military training for Pakistan's military

4. Being able to share degree of modern technology, though not duel use technology

It’s wrong to presume that Pakistan can obtain military satellites from the U.S, by waiving there MMNA declaration, but they could lease satellites which are not meant for duel use roles
read the real transcript Pakistan can access some satalite to buy them! but they might not be Military satellites. you have to except this is a military alliance not an economic alliance !! so there are bound to be alot more perks compared to other relations.
It is wrong to assume that Pak Wil not gain militarily form this alliance !! it will become the dumping and backward operational ground base for the US forces, which the US would use to place their forces in Asia. Basically after 10 years of Being apart the Old alliance has been reestablished and a more meaningful Alliance has been created.

Pak has its own Spy satalite development programe setup since teh 60s they have been sending satalites in space for some time, But i am not aware if they are affective at all, what MNNA would provide PAK would be access to the Graduates of PAK to Access higher Education system of the US. that would long way in the R&D in PAK.

XEROX

You know adsH, I’m coming to your point of view, though I feel the real technology in military terms is that of duel use, in that case I still feel MMNA status cannot get you that kind of technology,

Did you know that India has one of the worlds most developed industries in terms of satellite imagery technology?

They are developing a satellite with a pixel of 0.4metres, I don’t know how advanced Pakistanis imagery satellites are in terms of pixels, but then again I don’t think Pakistan have launched a satellite

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
PJ-10 BrahMos said:
Did you know that India has one of the worlds most developed industries in terms of satellite imagery technology?

They are developing a satellite with a pixel of 0.4metres,
Indias resolution level is actually rated in the top 5 nations. The only countries to get that level of detail are the US, UK, Israel and India. Even the French staellites have a "coarser" level of detail.

It is a significant capability.

XEROX

What about japans capabilities, gf00, I though they where quite good in imagery technology, you just have to look at all the Japanese brands of expensive and very good cameras

adsH

the Point is your compareing a Nation that is poor 1/10 of the population size of india, MNNA countries can participate in Development of technology Obviously not all kinds, but the dual use is what the americans would refer to as Nuke or BM delivery related Articles. So i don't know seriously what your onn about By bringing Dual USe Issue here. and pakistan has been sending Weather satellites but its most latest Imagery Weather Satellite low orbital AKA Spy satellite is expected to be launched By the End of 2010 Pak wants to send it by its self as they have been sending in the past (but they (Pak has only sent smaller and lower weight Sats in low orbits) they are trying to get the Russians or the chinese to help them in developing a launch mechanism, the chinese have promised to help so let see what happens. but i think they will use there current Contractors the central Russian nations to send their sats.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
PJ-10 BrahMos said:
What about japans capabilities, gf00, I though they where quite good in imagery technology, you just have to look at all the Japanese brands of expensive and very good cameras
The Japanese are exceptionally good, but AFAIK they have not yet achieved the same resolution from a low orbit satellite.