E-2C transformed by recent combat

Frozen Hell

The aircraft may look much the same after 30 years but lessons learned by the U.S. Navy, during Operations Enduring Freedom (Afghanistan) and Iraqi Freedom in particular, are helping to transform both the Northrop Grumman E-2C Hawkeye as a system and the way it is used.

Gone is the shipboard airborne early warning (AEW) aircraft providing cover for a blue-water carrier group. Today’s Hawkeye 2000 for export customers already offers a substantial command-and-control system that has won its battle-management honors over land, directing air operations and in close contact with ground forces as well as other airborne assets. And the Advanced Hawkeye coming along later this decade will, as they say, be a completely different animal. The new radar, able to cope with now rapidly proliferating cruise missile threats, will be allied to comprehensive command-and-control systems with full cooperative engagement capability.

Singapore with four aircraft, Japan with 13 and Taiwan with four of a planned six are existing E-2 customers in the region. Nine of the Japanese aircraft have so far been converted to Hawkeye 2000 configuration and Taiwan will get its first 2000 next year. Other potential Asia/Pacific customers listed here at the show by Cdr. Drew Williams, responsible for foreign military sales in U.S. Naval Air Systems Command, include South Korea, Thailand and Malaysia.

Elsewhere, India, Qatar, Oman, Pakistan, Spain, Italy and the UK are all discussing requirements, according to Williams, while the United Arab Emirates remains in final negotiations for five aircraft. Egypt has six E-2Cs, all being converted to Hawkeye 2000 standard equivalent to the latest U.S. Navy configuration.

Specific lessons learned during Operation Iraqi Freedom are now being fed into continuing U.S. Navy Hawkeye procurement. Examples include improved and more flexible communications with more satcom channels, ARC-210 radios and other upgrades, automation of the conventional paper air tasking order and much greater integration of the various data sources used to create the overall coherent tactical picture.

India already ordered $1.5 bn phalcons from israel, would Pakistan aggressively go after US to supply some E2c?

Panzer

India already ordered $1.5 bn phalcons from israel, would Pakistan aggressively go after US to supply some E2c?
I would think price would be a factor for Pakistan. That is IF US allows the sale.

Frozen Hell

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Its only $80 million a piece. That shouldn't be a problem for country like Pakistan. It can easily buy 4-6 E-2c systems. When need is there and money, cost isn't the issue.

Panzer

Cost for E-2C alone is not a problem for Pakistan. But it is buying aircrafts or supposed to be buying aircrafts from China, submarines from France, producing Al-Khalids etc, then $400-$500 million dollars for 5-6 E-2Cs might be difficult to afford at the same time.

So, Pakistan may have to wait for some time to buy E-2Cs.

But all this is moot point unless US allows the sale.

Panzer

Frozen Hell said:
Isn't Pakistan making their own submarines Agostas?
I thought French were making them in Pakistan.

French nationals died in bomb blast in Pakistan. They were there for submarine project.

The Watcher

panzer, as many indians you're also victim of misinformation.

Its Pakistan thats making them in Karachi. Since the whole deal was ToT for Agosta Submarines for Pakistan. Two of them are in service and were comissioned recently and one more is being built. Pakistan also has the license to export those subs. :roll

Roger Smith

The Watcher said:
panzer, as many indians you're also victim of misinformation.

Its Pakistan thats making them in Karachi. Since the whole deal was ToT for Agosta Submarines for Pakistan. Two of them are in service and were comissioned recently and one more is being built. Pakistan also has the license to export those subs. :roll
[Mod edit: Discuss Agosta 90B in Naval forum please. Thank you.]

general

Originally posted by Frozen Hell:
Its only $80 million a piece. money, cost isn't the issue.

I agree E-2C are cheap stuff, but will the American sell them to Pakistan?
The US wont sell pakistan nuts and bolts even if we could pay 10 million for one

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
general said:

The US wont sell pakistan nuts and bolts even if we could pay 10 million for one
1) the E2C is a bit more capable than an Il-76 - they are decidedly NOT cheap stuff in capability.
2) There is apparent consideration by the US Gov being given to the sale of E2's to Pakistan. There is no confirmation of the progress of this but it was touted as a reciprocity of force balance offer.

If I had a choice between the IL-76 and an E2c I know which one I would get.

Oqaab

general said:

US is selling us 80 choppers and C-130s for ur kind information.

general

Oqaab said:
general said:

US is selling us 80 choppers and C-130s for ur kind information.
I don't think we will ever see those choppers.And I am not sure with the C-130

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
General, 40 of them have been delivered (just recently) already and 40 more are coming. Umair, you want to confirm this or ?

mysterious

What are you going to do with 40 Choppers and (dont know how many) C-130s??? Pakistan needs FRONT-LINE Combat Aircraft and an effective defense system (since India has now signed the Phalcon deal)!

Winter

mysterious said:
What are you going to do with 40 Choppers and (dont know how many) C-130s??? Pakistan needs FRONT-LINE Combat Aircraft and an effective defense system (since India has now signed the Phalcon deal)!
So I suppose the troops don't need air support then? And no C-130s to smooth tactical mobility...

Procurement of one thing doesn't necessarily mean abandonment of another. You just have to check it issue to issue...

:frosty

mysterious

Winter said:
mysterious said:
So I suppose the troops don't need air support then? And no C-130s to smooth tactical mobility...

Procurement of one thing doesn't necessarily mean abandonment of another. You just have to check it issue to issue...

I didnt say they're not important but Pakistan is not getting what it needs. Its army and airforce is being turned in to a Police force than improving its defensive capabilities as a professional army! Get my point? :cop

Winter

mysterious said:
I didnt say they're not important but Pakistan is not getting what it needs. Its army and airforce is being turned in to a Police force than improving its defensive capabilities as a professional army! Get my point? :cop
The Pakistani military, including the Air Force, is being turned into a police branch? How? Could you elaborate?

mysterious

Winter said:
mysterious said:
The Pakistani military, including the Air Force, is being turned into a police branch? How? Could you elaborate?
Look at all that they've been doing. Instead of having live-fire exercises or something to improve their abilities as a professional army (look at the Indian army's and airforce's exercises every now n then); all I see Pak. Army doing is hunting down al-qaeda and taliban with a handful of gunships as if it were a police force being paid to catch criminals while PAF hasnt been having any exercises plus the hours that a pilot should fly have been lowered a lot and all the PN does is provide relief effort to earth quake and flood victims with its sea-kings n stuff. How does all this B.S. improve their professional skills as a defensive force?

I dont want any of you to agree with me if you dont want to but my view is pretty good I'd say. :smokingc:

Winter

mysterious said:
Winter said:
mysterious said:
Look at all that they've been doing. Instead of having live-fire exercises or something to improve their abilities as a professional army (look at the Indian army's and airforce's exercises every now n then); all I see Pak. Army doing is hunting down al-qaeda and taliban with a handful of gunships as if it were a police force being paid to catch criminals while PAF hasnt been having any exercises plus the hours that a pilot should fly have been lowered a lot and all the PN does is provide relief effort to earth quake and flood victims with its sea-kings n stuff. How does all this B.S. improve their professional skills as a defensive force?

I dont want any of you to agree with me if you dont want to but my view is pretty good I'd say. :smokingc:
Well, a bit of active dabbling in regard to the Afghan border must be having a positive effect in regard to training and practical capability I'd say, and it certainly isn't a police matter.

I'm also sure they wouldn't voluntary reduce the number of exercises and hours flown without a damn good reason, and if it is, it probably is a political decision or a constraint of some form.

And what else would you have the PN do in it's peacetime status, other than good-will missions and the like? Actually wage war? There is more to the military than that...