Rifle launched grappling hook?

STURM

Been trying to figure out what this cumbersome device is for. It appears to be a rifle launched grappling hook? Why does it have wires sticking out at the top?

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
Speaking as a photographer, it looks like a Godawful bit of photoshopping.

I'm prepared to be corrected however,

Ian

Systems Adict

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I wouldn't say it's photo-shopped.

I reckon the 'wires' are actually a wire breeching ladder, for special forces to climb.

(Think 60's Batman & Robin TV show, with the dynamic duo climbing up a cheese-cutter thin, wire ladder).

My2Cents

Been trying to figure out what this cumbersome device is for. It appears to be a rifle launched grappling hook? Why does it have wires sticking out at the top?
That's the line/rope. It looks to be a good deal stiffer than the lines used in a line throwing gun, because it needs to be much stronger to hold his weight, so a much larger reel would be required.

That arrangement may also produce less drag than it would feeding from a reel.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member

I reckon the 'wires' are actually a wire breeching ladder, for special forces to climb.

(Think 60's Batman & Robin TV show, with the dynamic duo climbing up a cheese-cutter thin, wire ladder).
I was looking at what looked to be a very strangely curved barrel at the end of it, or is that me being crazy-insane ?

STURM

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Speaking as a photographer, it looks like a Godawful bit of photoshopping.

Ian
It's no photoshop job. The cumbersome thing actually exists.

It was invented by a navy chap and despite being cumbersome and awkward looking, I've recently been told that it's not as heavy as it looks and is apparently useful for gaining access to oilg rigs and other structures.

Apologies for the awful quality of the pic below but can anyone help ID this object? Has anyone seen this before? Is it possible that this is an early model Subskimmer from the British company Submarine Products Ltd?

PCShogun

I agree, looks like a device for Maritime Special forces to deploy ladders used to gain quick access to oil rigs or ships moving at sea.