RAN info, history, joining tips....

dweezil.comm.op

hey people, I'm 16 & im about to apply for the ADF, i've been wanting to join the australian army since i was little but cant find the job right for me as they are only currently available as a part time job, so i've decided i wish to join the navy, i have a large amount of info, but i'm not sure if this is what im expected to know, so i was wondering if anyone could help me, with the things i have to know to join, & also if anyone has anything on the uniforms as no-one seems to have this info anywhere, even on the navy site.
Cheers:)

enghave

If you want to join the army, you should join the army.

What job were you looking at in army? (signalman?) and what job are you looking at in navy?

Re what you're expected to know:

Interview Preparation

As part of the selection process you will be required to undertake an interview with a Defence Interviewer. For your interview, you should have an understanding of the following:

Where and how long is your recruit/basic training?
What will you learn at recruit/basic training?
Where and how long is your job training?
What type of equipment might you use?
How long will you enlist for?
What is the name of a military base that you may be posted to?
What Corp, Muster, and Category will you belong to?
What are the main functions of the role you are applying for?
How is the combat role related to this?
What are the pay entitlements for recruit and job training once qualified?
What is the ADF policy on non-medical use of drugs?
What is the Defence Force Discipline Act (Command and Discipline)?
What leave entitlements will you have?
What is the Pre Enlistment Fitness Assessment?
What is the ADF harassment policy?
What is the Military Superannuation Scheme?

Please Note: These questions are only a guide and are the minimum standard of knowledge you are expected to have. Impromptu questions will be asked eg. Who is the Minister of Defence? Who is the Chief of the Defence Force? Who is the Chief of the Service you are applying for? What is the rank structure of the Service you are applying for? The Defence Force interview will last approximately one hour. It is in your best interest to study as much relevant information as possible to prepare for the interview.
Anyway, at 16 years old, they may tell you to go and get some life experience, regardless of how keen and mature you are.

dweezil.comm.op

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you want to join the army, you should join the army.

What job were you looking at in army? (signalman?) and what job are you looking at in navy?

Re what you're expected to know:

Interview Preparation

Anyway, at 16 years old, they may tell you to go and get some life experience, regardless of how keen and mature you are.

Umm, in the army i was looking at either the signalman(comm op), or military police, but i have been told not to join as it will not benifit me in any way. So navy, i have decided to join as a boatswaine's mate, i have been to an info session & met several defence recruiters & people currently serving with-in the navy, & they say i'm fine to join as a boatswaine's mate & would not be rejected as i am a keen learner, im motivated, & i currently work at a goldmine up north with 12hr shifts doing drilling programs(which literally is back breaking work). Also this line of work would benifit me,as i can take on different courses, to further my career & will get to travel, which i love, but never seem to get to do.

Thanks for that site, i've been searching for the info but have one or two q's i cant answer. btw i'm join later on this year, i'm just starting my application process now.
Cheers

VexxSkyRider

16 and already working twelve hours in a gold mine? Is that even legal? Are qualified to work in the ADF? I think you should have stayed in school.

dweezil.comm.op

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
16 and already working twelve hours in a gold mine? Is that even legal? Are qualified to work in the ADF? I think you should have stayed in school.
i work at a gold mine cos my dad is the head geologist there,its part of work expirence or SWL watever its called & i still am in school, im in yr12 & graduate in sept