Go Back   DefenceTalk Forum - Military & Defense Forums > Global Defense & Military > Navy & Maritime

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures

Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

Philippine Navy - Modernization Plan

This is a discussion on Philippine Navy - Modernization Plan within the Navy & Maritime forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; Well speaking as a kiwi, id have to say the same apathy towards defence exists among public and politicians alike ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old January 16th, 2017   #16
Defense Enthusiast
Master Sergeant
No Avatar
Threads:
Well speaking as a kiwi, id have to say the same apathy towards defence exists among public and politicians alike here in New Zealand, even with the white paper defence budget of 20 billion, its still seems to be a replacement of current capability ,at best.

Our defence budget is around 1% of our GDP, and we face the same issues,little to no airstrike capability, two frigates, and most of our airlift and MPA need replacing within five or so yrs. though fortunatly we are lot further away from conflict. I concur with Ngatimozart, we could assist in experiance with upgrades or even on sell some of our newer gear.
kiwipatriot69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2017   #17
Defense Enthusiast
Corporal
No Avatar
Threads:
Let's set aside the attitude stuff. It will get nowhere anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STURM View Post
It's a question of which priority should be addressed first and having the right defence policy in line with the country's threat perceptions and regional geo-politics. Not a question of being complacent towards defence matters. Should procurement be threat or capability driven? What are the current threats facing the Philippines and will the nature of these threats change in the near future? It's not just a question of having the needed funds to buy gear.
Even if one accepts, for the sake of discussion, that the threats are correctly identified, and the policies created to respond to respond to the threats are also correct, I don't think anyone can argue that the AFP is not underfunded. This chronic underfunding self-sabotages the AFP. No matter what the threat is and no matter what sort of defense policy the Philippine adopts, if insufficient money is allocated then the AFP becomes less capable of dealing with said threat.
tonnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2017   #18
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
hi sturm, i guess our govt is heading towards internal threats the way our budget was allocated. i also believe with your observation that some here knew that we need AFP modernization minus the minions that will surely agree in every decisions made by our prex even at the expense of strengthening our military.

tonnyc, i do agree that our defense budget is really small compared to other Asian neighbors, specially with the current admin though they say that this year is the biggest so far but in my understanding this not in line with the plan requested by the AFP for this year. I was intrigued by your data that we can put more budget in our defense without sacrificing other services for people because there are military people now serving as senator and congressmen, and even with the previous administration.
aim-7 sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2017   #19
Defense Aficionado
Major General
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3mu511 View Post
I really wish that were true, but you really only sometimes get that out of those in middle-class and upper circles or out of the big universities...
Maybe so but then again for certain elements of society; the way they see it, priority is on earning a living. Whether the AFP gets a pre-used C-130 from the U.S. or newly built AFVs is secondary as for them, the main focus is on making ends meet. Personally, I don't blame them for thinking this way. Having said that, I haven't spoken much to academics or middle class people but the many people I meet tend to agree that greater investments have to be made to the AFP.

The way I see it there first must be a clear and consistent policy coming from the top. Irrespective of whether the Philippines adopts [what Duterte calls an ''independent policy''] and really downgrades ties with Uncle Sam and in return forges new relationships with countries such as China and Russia; there first must be a well defined and well though out policy on the kind of threats facing the Philippines and what the country's priorities will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonnyc View Post
I don't think anyone can argue that the AFP is not underfunded.
There is no doubt that the AFP is underfunded and over stretched but this is nothing new - the rot started setting in from the 1970's [when an insurgency developed with the MNLF and the NPA] and it didn't help that the economy started going downhill. Of course having Uncle Sam in Subic and Clark meant that the country was protected from any external threats.

The main difference now however is that in recent years funds have been progressively made available for procurement and there appears to be a greater sense of urgency or realisation on the part the government. A longstanding problem is that the AFP [especially the army and Marines] were bogged down in a long, never ending campaign against the likes of the NPA, MILF and MNLF. Things have mostly quietened down now but there are still groups like the ASG and BIFF to deal with and the fact remains that the PNP can't handle them on its own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim-7 sparrow View Post
hi sturm, i guess our govt is heading towards internal threats the way our budget was allocated. thanks for the reply.
Well there now appears to be a greater sense of urgency to equip the AFP to better defend against external threats and the government is able to thanks to an improved economy. In the past yes, there was no urgency as there were no serious external threats [the same applies now but recent events in the South china Sea show the AFP is ill equipped to even deal with peacetime threats that require better equipment to monitor the country's seas] and the government had no choice but to focus attention on non state actors as these actors were ones posing the main threat to the country.
STURM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2017   #20
Defense Enthusiast
Corporal
No Avatar
Threads:
Previously I pointed out that the Philippines had some 278 billion peso unspent back in 2015. Recently I found out that there is currently 200 billion peso left unspent from previous budget years.
Budget Secretary Diokno said there is at least 200 billion peso left unused. Think about it.

The money is there. I am not saying let's go on a spending spree, but really, the Philippines does have the money and can buy fighter jets and submarines without sacrificing the well being of the average Filipinos.
Old January 31st, 2017   #21
Defense Aficionado
Major General
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonnyc View Post
without sacrificing the well being of the average Filipinos.
I don't think anybody here's saying otherwise. The fact remains however that because the PN has been under resourced for so and lacks the capabilities that neighbouring countries do; focus must first be placed on creating an shore support infrastructure to support whatever new assets are procured. Taking SSKs as an example; logic and prudence would dictate that the PN focuses on other areas before it gets into the expensive game of not only buying but also maintaining SSKs. Given its present state and its operational commitments; stuff like a new class of frigates/corvettes, coastal radars and MPAs would be far more useful than SSKs. This is not to say that the PN shouldn't consider SSKs at some point in the future.
Old February 1st, 2017   #22
Defense Enthusiast
Corporal
No Avatar
Threads:
SturmI honestly do not see why you felt you had to respond to me with that. You might be reading too much into my post. My thesis is that the Philippines can afford them. Yours seem to be that they are not ready. The two aren't the same. The first must be established first before the issue of readiness can be asked. As long as the average Philippines people believe that they can't afford defense, they'll never be ready nor will they take the steps to be ready.
Old February 1st, 2017   #23
Defense Aficionado
Major General
No Avatar
Threads:
I never said nor implied they were the same thing.

You pointed out that they have the cash. I agreed and but I also pointed out that what they should do is to get what they currently need to meet current operational requirements, as opposed to SSKs and other sexy stuff that can wait, and that they will also have to make sure they have the needed shore support infrastructure to support what they eventually get. The last thing they need is to get stuff and find out that maintaining that stuff is hard because of a lack of shore support. Maintaining that stuff will also be more expensive compared to what they currently operate because of the various system on board; it's one thing having the cash; a completely different thing allocating the needed resources to operate and maintain new stuff that's bought; as others have discovered.

No, I don't think I was reading too much into your post; I'm quite sure I understand what you're getting at.
Old March 4th, 2017   #24
Grumpy Old Man
General
Threads:
obliquely related to Phillipine Navy in the long run

Top Philippine officials fly to US carrier in disputed sea - Pacific - Stripes

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"
http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
http://cofda.wordpress.com/

gf a.k.a. ROBOPIMP T5C
gf0012-aust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017   #25
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
no, this is just a plain, simple "field trip" of PH officials
what can we learn in joining US forces in their aircraft carrier? na-da.
what we need is concrete action in funding the PN modernization projects
PN already listed their concerns, our executives should do their shares in allocating funds for the PN projects.
Old March 22nd, 2017   #26
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
no, this is just a plain, simple "field trip" of PH officials
what can we learn in joining US forces in their aircraft carrier? na-da.
what we need is concrete action in funding the PN modernization projects
PN already listed their concerns, our executives should do their shares in allocating funds for the PN projects.
Old April 6th, 2017   #27
Grumpy Old Man
General
Threads:
not modernization but a PN issue

Duterte Deploys Troops to South China Sea | World Affairs Journal

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"
http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
http://cofda.wordpress.com/

gf a.k.a. ROBOPIMP T5C
gf0012-aust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2017   #28
Defense Enthusiast
Chief Warrant Officer
No Avatar
Threads:
That's a very remarkable development....after many months of licking-the-arses-of-the-Chinese policy...while having a hostile attitude towards the US. Or maybe he already asked permission from the Chinese for this.
Sandhi Yudha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2017   #29
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
sir just to correct the title of your attachment, it should be "Duterte To Deploy Troops to South China Sea", and this was not materialized coz our "brave" prez backout his plan to go there on our Independence Day.
AFP later clarified that they will just improve the facilities on islands that we're currently occupying.

Last edited by aim-7 sparrow; April 21st, 2017 at 01:40 AM.
Old April 21st, 2017   #30
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
sandhi, there's no such development that we may consider remarkable as of now. we're still watched by china patrolling west philippine sea. there was a time when our fisherfolks were granted to fish in Scarborough but lately being harassed again.
we have a prez being friendly to china, but china is rushing to weed out PH in claims of WPS... one hand feeding us with soft loans and one hand pushing us out of WPS.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: