Philippine Coast Guard Updates

ManilaBoy

Banned Member
Last edited:

dazzerler1

Banned Member
DFA Secretary Albert Del Rosario recently disclosed that Japan will provide up to 12 patrol vessels to the PCG of which 2 will be a large one and the other 10 will be 40 meters in length ...

Philippines, Japan to enhance maritime security ties - Yahoo! News Philippines

Is there any tonnage mentioned on the 40-meter boats? I kind of heard that the 2 larger ones are about 1000 tons each? How about the size/tonnage of the Coast Guard boats used at the Scarborough shoal? Are they the same size as these 10 40-meter boats from Japan?

ManilaBoy

Banned Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Is there any tonnage mentioned on the 40-meter boats? I kind of heard that the 2 larger ones are about 1000 tons each? How about the size/tonnage of the Coast Guard boats used at the Scarborough shoal? Are they the same size as these 10 40-meter boats from Japan?
I believed the 10 small patrol boats will be the 40 meters Bizan class that are 180 tons each and are much smaller than the current 56 meter San Juan class vessels that were used at the Scarborough Shoal incident which has a helipad while the 2 large ships will be the Shiretoko class at about 78 meters long and around 1000 tons ...

DEFENSE STUDIES: P1.5B to Modernize Philippines Coast Guard

dazzerler1

Banned Member
I believed the 10 small patrol boats will be the 40 meters Bizan class that are 180 tons each and are much smaller than the current 56 meter San Juan class vessels that were used at the Scarborough Shoal incident which has a helipad while the 2 large ships will be the Shiretoko class at about 78 meters long and around 1000 tons ...

DEFENSE STUDIES: P1.5B to Modernize Philippines Coast Guard
Will this 40 meter boat big enough to go to the Malampaya gas fields, Recto Bank and/or Scarborough shoal? I would think they need bigger boats like size of the Hamilton class cutters to go to these areas even during bad weather conditions? Wonder if the 40-meter boats will only be used at the littorals?