New Patrol Spanish (BAM)

Alonso Quijano

The Maritime Action Ship (BAM) is a modular type of vessel, adapted to different purposes on a common basis, to be manufactured by Navantia for the Spanish Armada.

The project

The Maritime Action Ship cover a niche somewhere between the corvettes and patrol vessels and surveillance. Its missions include patrol, protection of the exclusive economic zone as well as support and assistance interventions in third countries. Lightly armed Iran, will be capable of rescue and disaster assistance, hospital settings, material transport, combating marine pollution, and provide a platform for helicopter. Be constructed with civilian standards, except in certain aspects to be used in military standards.

On the one hand, his demeanor is similar to a corvette, which would give it the ability to provide wide autonomy, basic endowment house and transport personnel with a high degree of occupancy, stay at sea for long periods without subjecting staff to excessive fatigue, and have an Advanced Combat System based on Common Core of Scomber, with a high degree of interoperability with other Army units.

You are predefined types:

Patrolman ocean or high
Oceanography
Hydrographic
Diving Support
Intelligence Collector
Command and Support Ship (MCM)
The vessel will have a flight deck aft of the hangar (which will be integrated in the superstructure), with dimensions of 24.7 x 13.5 meters, which will launch operations, and refueling takes in hover and vertical supply of helicopters.

The BAM will be equipped with a high level of automation, notably through an integrated control system platform that incorporates all the advances in this field developed in recent years by Navantia for Navy ships.

The basic provision is to be built in quantity of 10 +6 options, while already under construction the first 4 units.

In principle, the patrol will replacing the class "Class Barceló", "Class Anaga", "Class Hutch", "Class Toralla" and "Discovery Class".

It is also envisaged that a BAM replace the oceanographic Las Palmas (A-52) and one to alert intelligence (A-111).

Units

In the first four ships were assigned the following names and numbers: [1]

BAM Meteorology (P-41)
BAM Lightning (P-42)
BAM Lightning (P-43)
BAM Tornado (P-44)
It is expected that these four first units entering service from 2010. [2] Its construction began on 4 October 2007 with the cutting of the first sheet. [3] and was placed on the stands the first on March 13, 2009 [4] in the shipyard San Fernando-Puerto Real

In June 2009, Secretary of State for Defense, the Congress confirmed the initiation of proceedings for the construction of a second set without specifying their number, but the navy expected to consist of between 4 and 8 additional units

General Characteristics

Displacement: 2,500 t (full load)
Length: 93.9 m
Beam: 14.2 m
Draft: 4.2 m
Armament: 1 cannon 76/62 mm
2 Mounting automatic 25 mm
2 × 12.7 mm
Propulsion: 2 diesel engines
4 groups diesel generators
2 electric motors propellers
1 Emergency generator
Located 2 cross bow thruster
Power: 450 BKW + 660 kWe + 750 kWe + 260 kWe + 500 kWe
Speed: 20.5 knots
Range: 8700 miles
Crew: 35 sailors
Strength: 35 (Marines and helicopter envelope).
Aircraft: 1 Medium Helicopter
Aircraft Equipment: apontaje platform aft
hangar

http://www.infodefensa.com/noticias/imgs/BAM1dentro.jpg

http://funkoffizier.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/bamconfiguraciones5ci2.jpg

photo:

http://i541.photobucket.com/albums/gg384/Orca-FdB/Cn16Octubre20090076.jpg

Video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpLGL3igyg8&feature=PlayList&p=F4DBA11B6F1AC815&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=19]YouTube - Botadura del primer B.A.M,clase Meteoro[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX_nAqhiaDs]YouTube - Botadura BAM METEORO[/ame]

:cool:

Sea Toby

Do you know the price in Euros for a Spanish BAM? Window shopping....there are many OPVs/corvettes to compare....

swerve

Super Moderator
Do you know the price in Euros for a Spanish BAM? Window shopping....there are many OPVs/corvettes to compare....
I seem to remember 85 million being bandied about as the unit price for the four ordered so far, but can't swear to it.

Alonso Quijano

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I seem to remember 85 million being bandied about as the unit price for the four ordered so far, but can't swear to it.
yes, I think the cost per unit is 85 million.
the idea of this is to create a patrol vessel as big as a corvette and a versatile, the same model can be used to ship various units of the navy, the ship is designed to guard and patrol duties with a high degree of versatility in the Platform, which allows you to perform the functions currently assigned to a number of heterogeneous functions of patrol vessels of very different characteristics. thus saving a lot of money on logistics and preparation.

Alonso Quijano

And Some more:
the good thing about this concept of the ship is the great versatility for a multitude of missions, making this ship in a very desirable product for any navy in the world.

wish you an intelligence vessel by installing their own technology?

-no problem.

oceanographic ship you want?

-no problem.

a patrol boat, dive support?

whatever you want you can do in this model of boat, the design is done, you can install whatever you want and you can have any navy ship 2500 tons at a good price and suits your needs, so regardless of create different models of boats for different missions and therefore more expensive.
Why design a new boat for your fleet with all the costs involved if you have this model at a low price that you can adapt easily to your army?
and this is the objective of this model ship, a great versatility for the Spanish navy and a good commercial product for other navies interested in adapting the concept of a single model.

Alonso Quijano

I like Venator more. :p:
good!
did not know the Venator.
venator but I think from what I read on the net, is the attempt to make a mini auxiliary warship.
I do not think this is very good that it should be very clear what you want ...
if you want a warship comprate a frigate and a ship if you want to do specific jobs such as oceanographic, diving support, intelligence ...
need a specific vessel for this.
what you can do is try to create a versatile boat that besides having AAW systems, anti-submarine and anti-ship at only 3000 tons!
I will ship too expensive and just as many systems you have room for the job he is assigned.
if the BAM is full of missiles and systems will likely have a good boat auxiliary but less room you have left for work.
anyway yet to realize if you put a BAM or any anti-ship AAW system.

I hate to think what may cost you Venator!, certainly about the same price you can almost buy a frigate.:confused:

kev 99

good!
did not know the Venator.
venator but I think from what I read on the net, is the attempt to make a mini auxiliary warship.
I do not think this is very good that it should be very clear what you want ...
if you want a warship comprate a frigate and a ship if you want to do specific jobs such as oceanographic, diving support, intelligence ...
need a specific vessel for this.
what you can do is try to create a versatile boat that besides having AAW systems, anti-submarine and anti-ship at only 3000 tons!
I will ship too expensive and just as many systems you have room for the job he is assigned.
if the BAM is full of missiles and systems will likely have a good boat auxiliary but less room you have left for work.
anyway yet to realize if you put a BAM or any anti-ship AAW system.

I hate to think what may cost you Venator!, certainly about the same price you can almost buy a frigate.:confused:
Don't be fooled into thinking the Venator is going to feature lots of expensive weapons systems, its an Ocean going patrol vessel that with modular systems enabling it to do Mine counter measures, survey work etc, its basically a similar concept as BAM. The video showing it launching CAAM is just to show what's possible with the design, if it ever got built (probably at least a decade in the future) it would probably never be armed with any missiles in RN service.

santi

IMHO, Venator is more a ‘combat ship’ than a BAM, although a modular one. I think that BMT designed the concept with a view in the C3 program, and the scope of it don’t match exactly with that of BAM.
BAM is more oriented to traditional OPV missions, the same platform being used for auxiliary roles like law enforcement, tender, AGI, oceanographic research, environment protection and so.
In fact Spanish Armada is beginning the development of F-110 concept (replacement for OHP/Santa Maria class) and some people in the Navy talk about a “modular vessel” strongly dependant on drones, sensor fusion and a lot of room for ‘fitted for but not with’… in some ways a kind of enlarged Venator.

Regards

Last edited:

Alonso Quijano

IMHO, Venator is more a ‘combat ship’ than a BAM, although a modular one. I think that BMT designed the concept with a view in the C3 program, and the scope of it don’t match exactly with that of BAM.
BAM is more oriented to traditional OPV missions, the same platform being used for auxiliary roles like law enforcement, tender, AGI, oceanographic research, environment protection and so.
In fact Spanish Armada is beginning the development of F-110 concept (replacement for OHP/Santa Maria class) and some people in the Navy talk about a “modular vessel” strongly dependant on drones, sensor fusion and a lot of room for ‘fitted for but not with’… in some ways a kind of enlarged Venator.

Regards

I think the venator and BAM have the same concept of multi-purpose vessels, but the venator wanted to go beyond giving you the ability to install anti-aircraft and anti-ship systems.
but I reiterate what I said, a venator capabilities and missile systems limit you to other work and you have to leave enormously expensive to be a vessel of 3000 tonnes, so whether they are good ships are likely to be a commercial failure.
intended only for the U.S. Navy or the Royal Navy to buy anything at any price.

the F-110 still do not even have a serious project, there are only rumors and the occasional drawing on the Internet:

http://www.foronaval.es/txemaprada/imagenes/wallpapers/f-110-wallpaper.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e314/MAC1966/ffx1102qx9.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e314/MAC1966/ffx110mj6.jpg

not even resemble a drawing with the other ...

the Santa Maria are newly modernized and that means to see the first F-110 has to spend at least 10 years.

Alonso Quijano

I take that back ...

recent information I've found what appears to Navantia and LM are beginning to work in an almost secret in what will be the F-110:

Lockheed Martin is already exploring the new public company destroyers for Spain

Octavio Manduley, president of Spain by the American company Lockheed Martin, said yesterday the "historic collaboration" between his company and Navantia-he called "excellent yard" - in such notable programs as the F-100 frigates and F-310 and submarines S-80. The supplier of the Aegis combat system that called for maintaining cooperation with the firm and announced that, in fact, "the two parties and we are looking at designs and solutions for the frigates of the future Spanish Navy. At the same time, admitted other projects "in an effort to cooperate in markets around the world" and called for further exploring the "synergy between the two companies'.
Through a former general, has begun to consider a new type of surface vessel, known generically F-110, which would be in service on the horizon from 2018 to 2022, replacing the Santa Maria-class frigates.

A traditional risks and threats to security today have joined others, such as terrorism, organized crime and proliferation of weapons, which constitute the main threat is transnational and maintain or even increase in future.

It envisions a scenario and a strong demand for units with capacities in two main areas: maritime security, especially in remote coastal areas of the country, and protection against threats both conventional and asymmetric threat against.
In order to operate in the scenario described in the previous point, the ship needed a guard, which must be balanced in skills, with the possibility of modular growth, so that the multipurpose nature allowed to take various mission profiles and respond effective on a stage set, specific or combined.
a triptych on industry lectures / Navy conducted in May at the CG of the Navy, on new technologies to incorporate into the F110, with the participation of Navantia, Lockheed Martin (combat systems, radars), Indra (Combat Systems) University of Vigo, ETSIN UPM (New hybrid materials, automation) and a few other institutions.

The main sensor is a great mystery, on par with a very interesting topic on which to speculate. If you are not talking about a system akin to its predecessors SPY-framed within the AEGIS system, and we talk about a system specifically designed for the F110 by LM, with Indra, "taking notes", you may be closer to the line of new S4R (Victor being the culmination of PESA technology for LM and taking into account the operational benefits of the EFSA, whose roof technology naturally growing), with this company a base in its new generation radar dedicated to the export Spanish companies would be your foot in the EU, and Navy showcase sales and has given them success in the AWD. In that sense I think the F110 can open up business opportunities equivalent to those opened up by the consortium AFCon who gave birth to the F100 and F310 curses ... And of course, improving the technological capabilities of local industry.

It seems that the "model" which is thought to be something in the style of German F125, with the paradigm of modularity that offers so much flexibility and so is vogue lately, automation, autonomy and persistence ...
very interesting!, it seems that in the end the F-110 is serious. :spain

StevoJH

The Bunker Group
Venator is basically an OPV with a modular deck under the flight deck capable of carrying Survey Gear (as E class replacement), MCM gear (as Hunt and Sandown replacement) or RHIB's for anti-piracy/anti-drug ops.

Oh, and there is supposed to be a telescoping hanger that is basically pulled over the top of the flight deck. Presumably similar to the ones currently fitted to the Bay class LSD's.