Netherlands Orders...

Tasman

Ship Watcher
Verified Defense Pro
http://warships1discussionboards.yu...ATROL-VESSELS-FOR-ROYAL-NETHERLANDS-NAVY.html

3750 tons full load apparently.

Seems awfully big for an OPV but the cost appears to be excellent.
Although they are large for OPV's steel is cheap so the size should not impact too much on costs. Operating costs should also be kept reasonably low with a crew of just 50 being required to operate them.

I like the look of them. The design seems to be just what is required to meet the tasks planned for them.

Tas

rickusn

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
"It's a very sophisticated sensor suite for an OPV..."

And particularly as there appears to be no provision for AAW missiles of any type including self-defense.

And no provision for a complementery ASW suite either.

But with a ship this size I would think there have to be contingency plans for uparming and sensoring.

Although the topside arrangements seem to preclude increased weapons fit at least by my first glance.

But a ship of this type is perfect for the Caribbean area the USN should consider this type of ship to replace the OHPs now doing counter-narcotics and patrol duties.

Cheap, useful and relatively non-threatening.

Six to a dozen would be good.

rickusn

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
“A handshake agreement on the terms of the contract was reached August 31, sources at DSEi tell Ares, based on a price of 60 million euros per ship (excluding the Thales-supplied parts of the combat system).”

“On 20 December 2007, the Netherlands' Defence Materiel Organisation (DMO) and Thales Nederland signed a 125 million Euro contract for the development and supply of four Integrated Masts.

“The four ships are to be procured at a projected cost of 448 million euros ($627 million at the current exchange rate). However, actual cost is turning out to be "several million" above that amount because of developments outside the control of the program, such as the rising cost of raw materials such as steel and the increased cost of labor, a senior program official tells Ares.”

So Im quessing the 60m + only covers the hull and basic systems maybe propulsion too maybe not with the rest being the cost to fit out the ship with electonics and weapons.

As we see from above appox. 30m+ at least and probably alot more is going to Thales on top of the basic 60m.

Costs are always a tough thing to define it always depends on whos doing the talking and what they are including and excluding.

rickusn

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Heres more. 30 people for a 3750 ton naval ship albeit lightly armed. Still. How far weve come.:

Navy Buys Patrol Ships for EUR 467 Million

THE HAGUE --- Defence State Secretary Cees van der Knaap has made an agreement with several companies for the construction of four patrol ships. The ships will cost 467.8 million euros, 27.8 million more than originally budgeted.

The state secretary expects to conclude a contract next month. The main contracts for building the ships and related systems are going to Schelde Marinebouw shipyard, sister company Damen Shipyard Galatz, which will carry out the shipbuilding in Romania, and Thales Nederland.

The ships will operate in the lower part of the violence spectrum. They have a life of 25 years and will be equipped with NH90 helicopters, Van der Knaap said.

The ships are intended for coastal watch tasks in the Netherlands, the waters around the Netherlands Antilles and Aruba and international security tasks. Van der Knaap expects the first ship to be delivered to the navy in 2011 and the last in 2013.

Operating costs are expected to be 5.3 million euros per ship per year. This includes the costs of each vessel's crew of 30.

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/cgi...&modele=jdc_34

kilo

I think these ships will be very in their patrol roll, and a NH-90 does give them limited ASW and ASuW capabilities.

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
To get into the details, Schelde claims a "27mm automatic gun".
(while AviationWeek only mentions a medium-calibre 20-30mm gun)

Rather interesting that the Netherlands now seem to buy the Rheinmetall MLG27 (as that's the only 27mm naval gun available worldwide) as well.
Other Dutch ships (including LCF) mount 20mm Oerlikons as smaller guns below Goalkeeper.

harryriedl

Verified Defense Pro
how similar are these OPV's compared with the Schiled corvettes becuse the construction seems very similar except the OPV has a more austere defense equipment.

it seems a strange that the 76mm mounts have yet to get a reduced RCS mounts like the 4.5 inch

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
http://warships1discussionboards.yu...ATROL-VESSELS-FOR-ROYAL-NETHERLANDS-NAVY.html

3750 tons full load apparently.

Seems awfully big for an OPV but the cost appears to be excellent.
Something I wonder about for the OPV design is the gas citadel, could someone explain what that is? To me (an admited amateur), that sounds like some form of NBC protection system, something I would think unneeded for what is supposed to be a patroling/policing vessel. Can anyone shed light on this?

-Cheers

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
It's exactly that.

It's a survivability feature found on about every modern naval ship. The currently used "Damen" class coastal patrol vessels for the Dutch Coastguard have one too. Usually tacked onto "commercial standards" for navy ships as well.

contedicavour

Wow amazing how they resemble the Irish Roisin OPVs...

These very big OPVHs are good for Coast Guard duties, not much more. While it may make sense to use these vs the Doorman for most patrolling duties, if I were Dutch I would still be disappointed with the retiring of the still very recent Doormans (ok, but the 2 last ones that are still around).

cheers

Super Nimrod

I guess these are so large because just like the RN ones, they will have a global role ? If I rememember correctly the Dutch still have significant overseas colonies & protectorates ?

contedicavour

I guess these are so large because just like the RN ones, they will have a global role ? If I rememember correctly the Dutch still have significant overseas colonies & protectorates ?
Yes, mostly Caribbean Islands such as Aruba.
However to hunt drug traffickers around the Caribbean I would have built smaller, faster, and better armed OPVHs.
Also, if Chavez starts provoking Aruba it would be useful to have something credible in place, rather than having to ask for help to the De Zeven Provincen DDGs back in the Netherlands...

cheers

swerve

Super Moderator
Yes, mostly Caribbean Islands such as Aruba.
However to hunt drug traffickers around the Caribbean I would have built smaller, faster, and better armed OPVHs....

cheers
It's the helicopter that does the chasing. Otherwise, you'd have to build a 40 knot OPV, to catch smugglers speedboats. And they have other roles, such as disaster relief, in which the sea-keeping qualities of a larger, slower ship are sometimes of value, for surviving hurricanes in good shape, as well as its ability to carry more stores & take on passengers. Endurance is also a good thing.

mic of orion

Heres more. 30 people for a 3750 ton naval ship albeit lightly armed. Still. How far weve come.:

Navy Buys Patrol Ships for EUR 467 Million

THE HAGUE --- Defence State Secretary Cees van der Knaap has made an agreement with several companies for the construction of four patrol ships. The ships will cost 467.8 million euros, 27.8 million more than originally budgeted.

The state secretary expects to conclude a contract next month. The main contracts for building the ships and related systems are going to Schelde Marinebouw shipyard, sister company Damen Shipyard Galatz, which will carry out the shipbuilding in Romania, and Thales Nederland.

The ships will operate in the lower part of the violence spectrum. They have a life of 25 years and will be equipped with NH90 helicopters, Van der Knaap said.

The ships are intended for coastal watch tasks in the Netherlands, the waters around the Netherlands Antilles and Aruba and international security tasks. Van der Knaap expects the first ship to be delivered to the navy in 2011 and the last in 2013.

Operating costs are expected to be 5.3 million euros per ship per year. This includes the costs of each vessel's crew of 30.

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/cgi...&modele=jdc_34
these OPV's look awesome :)