Navy hopeful of getting US maritime aircraft

P.A.F

http://www.dawn.com/2004/08/06/top9.htm

ISLAMABAD, Aug 5: Pakistan Navy is hopeful of getting P-3C Orions long-range maritime surveillance aircraft and spares for other units from the US, said Naval chief Admiral Shahid Karimullah on return from his visit to the States.

Admiral Karimullah had gone on a '10-day official visit' to the United States to explore opportunities of acquiring new weapons systems and spares for the Navy. After touching down at Karachi, Admiral Karimullah flew to Islamabad where he was received on the airport by Rear Admiral McDonald of the US Navy, vice-admiral Farooq Rashid of PN and other officials.

Rear Admiral McDonald had also seen off the Naval chief at Islamabad Airport on July 18. According to a press release issued by the Naval Headquarters, Admiral Karimullah on his return said he was hopeful about acquisition of P-3C aircraft and spares for units in Pakistan Navy's inventory.

He said the military assistance was in the pipeline and should soon be approved by the US Senate. However, he added, the process could take some time and required patience as the US government has to follow certain procedures.

Admiral Karimullah said Pakistan Navy "does not want to take any hasty decisions" and would acquire the military hardware after thorough examination of the offer. The examination was vital to ensuring that the equipment acquired by the Navy was in accordance with its service requirements and in the best interest of the nation, he added.

Sources said the examination of the equipment in the pipeline would help Navy avoid the trap of getting old equipment with expensive spare parts. The Naval Headquarters said during his stay in the US, Admiral Karimullah met US Under-Secretary of State Christina Rocca, Chief of Naval Operations US Navy Admiral Vern Clark and US Fleet Commanders of Pacific and Atlantic Fleets and Commander of US Central Command.

Pakistan Navy's participation in the Maritime Coalition Campaign was lauded by the military and civil functionaries of the United States, said the press release. The sources said Pakistan Navy had contributed one frigate for participation in the 10-nation Maritime Coalition Force patrolling the Arabian Sea to interdict weapons of mass destruction and terrorists on board ships.

Pakistan Navy joined the Maritime Coalition Force as a result of discussions held in September 2003 with Admiral Vern Clark, US Navy's chief of naval operations. During the visit, the Naval chief also explored new avenues of cooperation with the US after Pakistan got the status of a Major Non-Nato Ally.

Commenting on his visit, he said the visit had cemented the already strong ties between the two Navies. Quoting Admiral Karimullah, the press release said, the official US circles were not only appreciative of the 'principled stand' of Pakistan in the war against terrorism but also understood the constraints of Pakistan in this regard.

XEROX

The Indian navy wanted to get the "C" version, but were offered only the "B" version instead!! :idea2

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
PJ-10 BrahMos said:
The Indian navy wanted to get the "C" version, but were offered only the "B" version instead!! :idea2
If they're ex USAF, they will all be P3C's. AFAIK all the B's were upgraded. The only B's left are non USAF (ie some NATO)

yasin_khan

Six months had been pased that i m hearing that Pakistani's are Non NATO Ally but we havnt got any thing yet.No new fighter jets,AWACS, destroyers etc. :mad

adsH

yasin_khan said:
Six months had been pased that i m hearing that Pakistani's are Non NATO Ally but we havnt got any thing yet.No new fighter jets,AWACS, destroyers etc. :mad
Dude calm down!! the P3c are almost free, last time i had heard about them they were entering the Upgrade facility of Lockheed martin or was it the Ex-australian excess C-130 being upgraded i Can't remember. the thing is that Lockheed is very busy with new purchases and the only time they can spend on Overhauls and upgrades is when they have some free time. Atleast you guys are getting something you wanted India still doesn't have the P3c they asked for.

Sq No.15

Banned Member
adsH said:
yasin_khan said:
Dude calm down!! the P3c are almost free, last time i had heard about them they were entering the Upgrade facility of Lockheed martin or was it the Ex-australian excess C-130 being upgraded i Can't remember. the thing is that Lockheed is very busy with new purchases and the only time they can spend on Overhauls and upgrades is when they have some free time. Atleast you guys are getting something you wanted India still doesn't have the P3c they asked for.
Well US pitching India with its used P3-B version which will be giving after it is upgraded to P3-C , but the only difference is that , while the all the avonics are equivalent to P3-C but the airframe is of older one i.e. P3-B, India is negotiation this deal which was offerened by US under Forgien Militry sales under rock bottom price