Manually operated Bofors L/70s?

STURM

I've been told from someone who use to serve in the navy in the 1970s that the Bofors L/60 fitted on his ship was electrically operated. In case of a lack of electrical power, the L/60 could be operated manually. A couple of years later the L/60 on his ship was replaced by an L/70 which unlike the L/60 was fully manually operated; aiming, elevating and traversing the gun was all done by hand. Curious as to why L/70 naval mounts were not electrically operated? Anyone here ever operated a naval L/70 0r L/60 before? Thank you.

My2Cents

I've been told from someone who use to serve in the navy in the 1970s that the Bofors L/60 fitted on his ship was electrically operated. In case of a lack of electrical power, the L/60 could be operated manually. A couple of years later the L/60 on his ship was replaced by an L/70 which unlike the L/60 was fully manually operated; aiming, elevating and traversing the gun was all done by hand. Curious as to why L/70 naval mounts were not electrically operated? Anyone here ever operated a naval L/70 0r L/60 before? Thank you.
The Bofors 40mm L/70 is available in a number of different mounts, including manual, hydraulic, and electrical operation, and either manned or remote operation (with or without manual backup).

What kind of vessel is it? Manual operation would be adequate for a coast guard or customs vessel, or a minesweeper, that is not expected to deal with aerial threats or other military vessels.

Or they could just be cheap.

STURM

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The L/70s were mounted on coastal patrol craft made by Vosper in the 1960's and the L/60s were on former RN Ton class minehunters delivered in the 1960's. Interestingly, in the early 1960's the RN was not an L/70 operator so training for the crews of the Vosper patrol boats was counducted by the British army.