LCS next steps

contedicavour

I'm interested in gathering opinions on what's next on LCS.
I've read a lot of material on both the Freedom version and the Independence versions. I've read that both the classic single-hull and trimaran hull designs are being built, 2 ships for each design.
What I would like to know is how and when the Pentagon and the USN will decide which of the 2 designs is better suited for full scale production.
I've seen both designs can reach 45knots and carry similar armament, 57mm, modules for ASUW, ASW, MCM..., so it's hard to make a choice between 2 different designs which deliver the same performance ?
Although I'm not an expert, I prefer the single hull more traditional design, it weighs less and I think it carries less development risks.

cheers

Whiskyjack

Honorary Moderator / Defense Professional / Analys
Verified Defense Pro
contedicavour said:
I'm interested in gathering opinions on what's next on LCS.
I've read a lot of material on both the Freedom version and the Independence versions. I've read that both the classic single-hull and trimaran hull designs are being built, 2 ships for each design.
What I would like to know is how and when the Pentagon and the USN will decide which of the 2 designs is better suited for full scale production.
I've seen both designs can reach 45knots and carry similar armament, 57mm, modules for ASUW, ASW, MCM..., so it's hard to make a choice between 2 different designs which deliver the same performance ?
Although I'm not an expert, I prefer the single hull more traditional design, it weighs less and I think it carries less development risks.

cheers
I have seen comments that a mix of both classes may be considered.

contedicavour

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Whiskyjack said:
I have seen comments that a mix of both classes may be considered.
What is your opinion of the 2 options (traditional single hull / trimaran hull) in terms of operational use, knowing speed & armament is the same ?

thks

cheers

Sea Toby

There is a good chance the navy will buy both. However, if the navy prefers one over the other, I'm sure they will make a choice. It all depends upon performance and price. Until the navy gets a few delivered, we'll have to wait.

bd popeye

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
LCS next steps in Naval Forces forum

According to the USN multipile contracts were awarded to see which design is best suited for this role. So in answer to your question..You may have to wait a few years before that decision is made.

In the near time the USN is establishing a training program for future LCS sailors.

http://www.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=25034

SAN DIEGO (NNS) -- Commander, Naval Surface Forces, is overseeing the development of a revolutionary training process for the Littoral Combat Ship (LCS) called Train to Qualify (T2Q) that will enable LCS’s hybrid Sailors to be fully trained before reporting to the ship.

The new system of preparation and evaluation for LCS is necessary because of its unique crew size and billets aboard. Each LCS will have a core crew of about 40 Sailors for a ship about the size of a frigate. The core crew will be joined by a mission package crew and an aviation detachment, bringing the total crew size to approximately 75. To perform any one of several missions, an LCS seaframe can be configured with mine warfare, anti-surface or anti-submarine mission modules.

“With Train to Qualify, everyone has to report aboard the LCS ready to fulfill all the duties of their watches and their jobs, both individually and as an integral part of the crew,” said Dr. Carl Czech, head of the Human Performance Center Detachment at Commander, Naval Surface Forces.

The main change with this process is that each Sailor will be evaluated by strict reference to uniform measures, metrics and standards. They will be required to demonstrate parts of their job in ways that give their evaluators, their fellow crew members and commanding officers confidence that they will be able to step into their role aboard LCS with minimal on-the-job training.

“I believe this process is revolutionary because of its strict adherence to a performance basis evaluation process,” said Czech. “We’re going to require Sailors to actually demonstrate certain things. Not just demonstrate knowledge, not just demonstrate comprehension, but actually do the things they’re going to do aboard ship as carefully and safely as they can before they get there.”

“The training process is not harder on LCS, it’s just different,” said Cmdr. Bill Johnson, assistant chief of staff for Training and Readiness at Commander, Naval Surface Forces. “Because of the small crew size and the fact that the basic phase training will be done ashore in the LCS shore trainer, the LCS training process will work differently from the historical training we have adopted with Shiptrain. The goal is that the shore-based unit level training will support follow-on integrated and advanced training at sea and allow more ship operability with multiple crews.”

The way the LCS Sailor is chosen is also a new process. Instead of looking for a specific Navy Enlisted Classification (NEC), they are looking for a specific set of skills for each LCS billet. Every Sailor stationed aboard an LCS will be filling a specific numbered billet defined by tasks that often range far from their individual rating or NEC.

With this, the entire detailing process is being changed to incorporate time for all the training a Sailor must get before stepping aboard an LCS. With LCS, a billet will become available 18–24 months before a scheduled loss instead of the normal 9–12 months currently used.

“This is sometimes easy, sometimes hard depending on what the detailers are looking for,” said Cmdr. Curt Renshaw, LCS project officer for Commander, Naval Surface Forces and prospective commanding officer of PCU Independence (LCS 2) Blue. “You might find an IT (information systems technician) with lots of ET (electronics technician) skills, but some ratings are the other way around and are very specialized.”

Once a Sailor has been chosen to fill the LCS billet, their individual training track will then be made up for them and train them on the skills they are lacking. This will be completed by a combination of online, classroom and simulator training since they will be required to step aboard LCS ready to stand watch.

Every qualification will be performance-based, with set standards for timeliness, accuracy and quality applied to every critical task.

“The standard has to be very high for Sailors coming off of shore duty, so the ships have confidence that what they get is really a person that has received a qualification level of that fully supports taking the watch upon reporting aboard,” said Renshaw

Whiskyjack

Honorary Moderator / Defense Professional / Analys
Verified Defense Pro
contedicavour said:
What is your opinion of the 2 options (traditional single hull / trimaran hull) in terms of operational use, knowing speed & armament is the same ?

thks

cheers
I believe that the Trimaran for the littoral environment offers more mission space and future flexibility for the USN, if the design meets expectations and I am not qualified to judge on that.

I also like the flight deck and hanger facilities on the trimaran.

contedicavour

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ok thanks to both of you for the article and opinons expressed !
Let's see how the USN evaluates Freedom & Independence.
I personally remain sceptical about the trimaran design, tried on several platforms in the US and UK, for use on such large platforms. However I'm not qualified either to evaluate that. Look forward to more news !

cheers

nash0109

Actually I'm more interested in the MQ-8B Fire Scout VT-UAV that is planned for the LCS.
Rg 151 nm payload 600lb. 8 hrs on station. Interesting possibilities. A very small ship can operate one or more of these and it would significantly add to the ship's capabilities.
A long time ago the US Navy had the DASH program which was a VT-UAV for ASW use on destroyers, but it was abandoned. The Japanese navy however continued to use DASH for some after that before settling on manned helos.

I wonder if it might change warfare at sea in time to come.

My thoughts.