Go Back   Defense Technology & Military Forum > Global Defense & Military > Navy & Maritime
Forgot Password? Join Us! Its's free!

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures

Miramar_14_MV-22_1621a.JPG

Miramar_14_MV-22_1726a.JPG

Miramar_14_MV-22_0074a1.JPG

Miramar_14_FA-18C_0409a.JPG
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

Recent Photos - DefenceTalk Military Gallery

The largest and most powerful warships ever built

This is a discussion on The largest and most powerful warships ever built within the Navy & Maritime forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; The largest and most powerful warships ever built Nimitz class aircraft carriers Length 317 m Beam 40.8 m Draught 11.3 ...

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.
Old December 5th, 2006   #1
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:

Nimitz class aircraft carriers

Length 317 m
Beam 40.8 m
Draught 11.3 m
Flight deck length 332.9 m
Flight deck width 76.8 m
Displacement, standard 81 600 tons
Displacement, full load 91 487 tons

20 x F-14D Bomcat
36 x F/A-18 Hornet
8 x S-3A/B Viking
4 x E-2C Hawkeye
4 x EA-6B Prowler
4 x SH-60F
2 x HH-60H

I bet some of these are patroling close to Iraq and Iran

Last edited by Aussie Digger; December 5th, 2006 at 08:15 AM.
Old December 5th, 2006   #2
Aussie Digger
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Militaryman View Post

Nimitz class aircraft carriers

Length 317 m
Beam 40.8 m
Draught 11.3 m
Flight deck length 332.9 m
Flight deck width 76.8 m
Displacement, standard 81 600 tons
Displacement, full load 91 487 tons

20 x F-14D Bomcat
36 x F/A-18 Hornet
8 x S-3A/B Viking
4 x E-2C Hawkeye
4 x EA-6B Prowler
4 x SH-60F
2 x HH-60H

I bet some of these are patroling close to Iraq and Iran
Yes. Obviously. And?

This website is designed for the DISCUSSION of military related topics, not one-off statements about a particular platform.

Discuss the Nimitz class, ask questions, whatever you like, but don't simply cut and paste info from somewhere else.

A quick read of the forum rules will enlighten you I'm sure. You've got an hour to fix it up before I delete the thread.

The forum rules can be read here:

http://defencetalk.com/forums/rules.php

Cheers

AD.

Old December 5th, 2006   #3
Defense Enthusiast
Corporal
No Avatar
Threads:
Maybe we should talk about which is the most powerful battleship in WW2 ------excluded carrier.
Personally I like Bismarck best;
Even through it s not the largest ,but it s tough and balanced between power speed and defence .
Old December 5th, 2006   #4
Private First Class
Threads:
USS Iowa, supported Normandy invasion and lived up through the Korean war. She was the lead ship of her battleship class.

Displacement: 45,000 tons
Length: 887 ft 3 in (270 m)
Beam: 108 ft 2 in (32.9 m)
Draft: 37 ft 2 in (11.3 m)
Speed: 33 knots (61 km/h)
Complement: 151 officers, 2637 enlisted
Armament:
1943 9 16 in (406 mm) 50 cal. Mark 7 guns
20 5 in (127 mm) 38 cal. Mark 12 guns
80 40 mm 56 cal. anti-aircraft guns
49 20 mm 70 cal. anti-aircraft guns
1983 9 16 in (406 mm) 50 cal. Mark 7 guns
12 5 in (127 mm) 38 cal. Mark 12 guns
32 BGM-109 Tomahawk cruise missiles
16 RGM-84 Harpoon Anti-Ship missiles
4 20 mm 76 cal. Phalanx CIWS
(Wikipedia)
Old December 5th, 2006   #5
Defense Aficionado
Lieutenant General
Threads:
Back to WW2, I'd say the Yamato battleships of the Japanese Navy. If they hadn't been used so foolishly on a suicide mission against Okinawa

Nowadays, it's the USN carriers or the SSBNs... a Ohio class SSBN could pulverize 18 large agglomerations...

cheers
Old December 5th, 2006   #6
Banned Member
Major General
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by contedicavour View Post

Nowadays, it's the USN carriers or the SSBNs... a Ohio class SSBN could pulverize 18 large agglomerations...

cheers
Ohio by far.. that CVW isn't even current.
Old December 5th, 2006   #7
Defense Enthusiast
Master Sergeant
Threads:
IJN Yamato Class

They were largest battleships ever made, at over 67,000 tons. While a failure in history because of carriers, they were still impressive ships in their own right and would have given any USN fast battleship a run for their money.

Kirov Classier Battlecruisers

An ambitious design, ment to take on an entire carrier battle group. ARMED TO THE TEETH!
Old December 6th, 2006   #8
Tribal Warlord
Colonel
Threads:
I'm giving the thread starter 2 days to state what is the purpose of his topic.
Marriage is an important part of getting ahead. It lets people know you’re not a homo. A married guy seems more stable. People see the ring, they think “at least somebody can stand the son of a bitch.” Ladies see the ring, they know immediately that you must have some cash, and your cock must work.
Old December 6th, 2006   #9
Defense Aficionado
Lieutenant General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerMc View Post
IJN Yamato Class

They were largest battleships ever made, at over 67,000 tons. While a failure in history because of carriers, they were still impressive ships in their own right and would have given any USN fast battleship a run for their money.

Kirov Classier Battlecruisers

An ambitious design, ment to take on an entire carrier battle group. ARMED TO THE TEETH!
Regarding the Kirov/Ushakov class battlecruisers, their ASUW (shipwreck SSMs) and AAW (grumble SAMs) capabilities are impressive, but they are weak on ASW. While that may have been the job of the Udaloy ASW destroyers, the ship on its own is relatively vulnerable to a missile/torpedo attack by 2 or 3 SSN/SSKs.

cheers
Old December 6th, 2006   #10
Defense Professional / Analyst
Master Sergeant
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by contedicavour View Post
Regarding the Kirov/Ushakov class battlecruisers, their ASUW (shipwreck SSMs) and AAW (grumble SAMs) capabilities are impressive, but they are weak on ASW. While that may have been the job of the Udaloy ASW destroyers, the ship on its own is relatively vulnerable to a missile/torpedo attack by 2 or 3 SSN/SSKs.
Does anyone know if the Admiral Nakhimov or Pyotr Velikiy have had their sonars upgraded? With modern sonars and three modern ASW helicopters, it would seem the platform would have the tools for robust ASW, the question is whether the crew is trained well enough to use the tools.
Old December 6th, 2006   #11
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Angry Big 10-4, Big-E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-E View Post
Ohio by far.. that CVW isn't even current.

Yes, the American CVNs no longer carry F-14 ("retired" in late Sep 2006) or S-3 ("retired" even earlier!), having traded them for even more F-18, mostly F-18E & F-18F "Super Hornet". Since the S-3 used to provide significant ASW "punch", their loss is to be lamented, especially since now, even a Chinese diesel sub can (and recently, DID) surface within torpedo range of one of the CVNs off Taiwan!

Pleasant screams...
Old December 6th, 2006   #12
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
No Avatar
Threads:
Iowa class battlewagon! Not only the best all round class of battleship built, but also the best looking. As far as a Yamato v Iowa showdown, my moneys on the Iowa every time. They were faster, had superior fire control, and fired a shell that whilst smaller, had the same impact/explosive qualities of the larger shell fired by the Yamato.
Old December 6th, 2006   #13
Defense Enthusiast
Master Sergeant
Threads:
I don't doubt that an Iowa class BB could pose a grave threat to a Yamato BB. At long range both ships are nearly equal in fire power, but if an Iowa were to come into close range the Yamato it would pose a graver threat. True the Iowa's were 6 knots faster, but also remember the American's thought the Yamato's had 15.9 inch guns with less range and fire power then their 16 inch guns. Only did the USN learn after the war that the ships were equiped with much larger 18.2 inch cannons. The Yamato's were also equiped with 24 6in & 5in guns or then the Iowa's 20 5in guns. All around the Yamato's armor was significantly more then the Iowa's, but the Iowa had a much longer cruising radius. I would say they were pretty fairly matched, but in reality both were obsolete because of carrier airpower.
Old December 6th, 2006   #14
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
No Avatar
Threads:
Maybe mate, but speed, maneuverability, and as stated before, superior fire control means that the she wont give a Yamato and easy shot, and never sit still and go blow for blow with her.

Agree though about them both being obcelete, but the Yamato was more obcelete than an Iowa....
Old December 6th, 2006   #15
Banned Member
Major General
No Avatar
Threads:
I think pound for the pound the ABs are the most powerful ships ever built. If needed you can loadout with nothing but 1000lb TLAMs.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: