Go Back   DefenceTalk Forum - Military & Defense Forums > Global Defense & Military > Navy & Maritime
Forgot Password? Join Us! Its's free!

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures

Nellis_F-22A_0140-1.jpg

Nellis_B-1_0096-1.jpg

Nellis_HH-60_0041-1.jpg

Nellis_F-15E_0082-1.jpg
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

Juan Carlos / Canberra Class LHD

This is a discussion on Juan Carlos / Canberra Class LHD within the Navy & Maritime forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; Originally Posted by Stampede Chatting some years ago with a uniform in with the Taipan about the auto folding mechanism ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.
Old April 3rd, 2017   #571
Defense Professional / Analyst
Colonel
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampede View Post
Chatting some years ago with a uniform in with the Taipan about the auto folding mechanism for the helicopter the weight of the system was over 100 kg. Not an insignificant bit of ballast to fly with when you think of what you could substitute that weight for in lift capacity. In effect you lose a passenger of extra fuel or what ever else you can substitute for that weight. Chatting again at the recent air show at Avalon I had another conversation with one of the Taipan maintainers about the benefits and trade offs of auto folding blades.He mentioned his team of threes best time for a manual fold of all four blades was under 14 minutes. Also discussed was the PAX lift capacity of Taipan and what was interesting was that the numbers were different for maritime operations so as to provide extra redundancy for a single engine loss over water......... even less PAX carried.
So yes auto folding makes things quick but I'm coming around to the trade off's in the weight of a auto folding system versus some extra weight/lift capacity for any type of helicopter sacrificing auto folding convenience.

Regards S
Yep I am aware of all of that, you do realise the conversation was with regards to the Tiger ARH and my reference to the AH-1Z Viper as a potential replacement ?
aussienscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2017   #572
Defense Aficionado
Lieutenant General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussienscale View Post
Yep I am aware of all of that, you do realise the conversation was with regards to the Tiger ARH and my reference to the AH-1Z Viper as a potential replacement ?
I think the Zulus will be a good option going into the future. Commonality with the Marines is a winner, and being more ship friendly will make sense with the LHD's when they are packed to the gills or possibly on smaller ships.
StingrayOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2017   #573
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussienscale View Post
Maybe I didn't get the gist of your question.

"Can you clarify what you mean by "lift capacity" and in what context ?"

Cheers"

Either way thanks for engaging.Maybe I was affected by daylight savings
Regards to what should replace the Tiger I'm agnostic and confident there are others with appropriate qualifications who will make the decisions. I'm sure the replacement will have to full fill a lot of criteria to meet and I'm sure some of that will be an expectation to operate over both the land and maritime environment.
Who know's your pick may get up.

Regards S
Stampede is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: