Go Back   DefenceTalk Forum - Military & Defense Forums > Global Defense & Military > Navy & Maritime

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces






Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures




Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence








Juan Carlos / Canberra Class LHD

This is a discussion on Juan Carlos / Canberra Class LHD within the Navy & Maritime forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; The JC1 design seems to be a pretty good compromise, and should be popular with other medium navies. The 7th ...


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.
Old March 9th, 2013   #31
Defense Aficionado
Lieutenant General
StingrayOZ's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,592
Threads:
The JC1 design seems to be a pretty good compromise, and should be popular with other medium navies.

The 7th spot was even mocked up on a RAN JC1 model. But you have the cost and risk modifying the design, you don't have the extra lifts etc to make good use of it, its further away from lifts,fire fighting etc. Also removing the jump no doubt will change the airflow, and no one would like using the dam thing underway anyway (may not even be useable). To really make use of a 7th, you would need more fuel store, lifts, hanger space etc. The jump may be useful for UAV's and also cross decking US/UK F-35's and is part of why the ship looks so fantastic.

But one of the main reasons is Australia intends to deploy both LHD's together, so thats 12 helo spots. Given Australia helo fleet, we would struggle to operate 12 naval helo's at the same time, let alone max out 12 spots and justify 14 spots (with 2 being unfavoured by pilots, crew and captains). For example, a USMC LHD has only 9 spots.

They are great looking ships. The pair in Sydney harbour will look fantastic. The pair deployed overseas will make one hell of a regional statement.
StingrayOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2013   #32
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
No Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 222
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Wally View Post
Thanks Random!

... I must admit when I hit this pic - http://i.imgur.com/nkrfR4t.jpg - I kinda got hit with a real feeling of national pride. Just something about looking at that ship that makes you want to stand tall as an aussie.
Save your pride for the Collins class replacement, we'll need all the pride and just about everything else we can get for that one...
rand0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2013   #33
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
King Wally's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 216
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rand0m View Post
Save your pride for the Collins class replacement, we'll need all the pride and just about everything else we can get for that one...
Tell the truth Im nervous as hell about that project. Gov needs to take what ever budget they are predicting and just double it right off the bat cause I don't think theres a person around that would be bold enough to think we can pull that off without hitting a few hurdles along the way.

For now anyway, I'll be very much enjoying seeing the LHD's hit deployment sometime in the near future! Can't wait to see them roll out on a legit mission be it Humanitarian or Peace Keeping etc. Who know's the way North Korea is yapping away it may one day even be needing for something a whole lot more heated.
King Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2013   #34
Defense Aficionado
Lieutenant General
StingrayOZ's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,592
Threads:
You can pretty much start booking the LHD for every risky election date into the future.They will no doubt be one of the heaviest used assets in the ADF.

Quote:
The Canberras are an exponential leap in Australia’s amphibious and sea control powers and come into commission in the next couple of years. It is perhaps no coincidence that the Fijian military junta’s timetable to democracy matches the timetable of the Canberras coming into operation. Another look at the RAN
I would imagine that the RN and the USN/USMC would both be keen to get some training exercises with the Canberra, as amphibious capability of that size (and the will to deploy both) is a fairly rare thing and could contribute significantly to global events. For the US it may mean the Canberra's can short fill in or reinforce a USMC amphib thus freeing a whole amphib up (and not screwing with sustainment/maintenance). For the RN, you have a non US partner that can integrate very closely with capability of a similar level to what she has herself.

Im still holding out that a 3rd will be ordered once the 1st is a known quantity (ie low risk) and it is politically favorable to make the announcement. I don't know how realistic that is, but the LHD actually have copped very little flack from the media/hippies and anecdotally are popular with all voters. I would expect an announcement by Sept this year if its going to happen.

Where are Collins replacement is something everyone seems to be distancing themselves from. Really what have we heard since Rudds whitepaper that is positive in that area?
StingrayOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013   #35
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
King Wally's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 216
Threads:
Came across a pretty decent (largly CGI based) overview of the ship by BAE

BAE LHD - YouTube

Has a lot of additional information I haven't seen elsewhere to be honest, including very specific cut away views of the various decks and facilities on board.
King Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013   #36
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
weegee's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sydney
Posts: 234
Threads:
Hey guys, I was just wondering are our LHD's large enough for the V-22 Osprey to land on and operate from? I know they are a big plane/helicopter (aircraft) haha and didn't know if they are that big they could not fit onto the LHD's or not? or are the LHD's that big that a whole heap of the Ospreys could land and operate from if so that will be great for the USN and the whole inter operational capability etc thanks
weegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013   #37
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
King Wally's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 216
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by weegee View Post
Hey guys, I was just wondering are our LHD's large enough for the V-22 Osprey to land on and operate from? I know they are a big plane/helicopter (aircraft) haha and didn't know if they are that big they could not fit onto the LHD's or not? or are the LHD's that big that a whole heap of the Ospreys could land and operate from if so that will be great for the USN and the whole inter operational capability etc thanks

I did read once that the Spanish version was designed in a way to allow ONE V-22 to land (Im unsure if that was to the far rear or front?). The Australian model as such would have to be the same.

I cannot say whether the lifts or hangers would fit the V-22 though? So someone would need to elaborate on that.

If your wondering if we could cross deck then sure they could drop an Osprey onto the deck and do what they need to do although overall the ship isn't really designed for them in mind. The below is a quote I found that seams to touch on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Carlos_I_(L61)
Quote:
The vessel has a flight deck of 202 metres (663 ft), with a "ski-jump" ramp. The ship's flight deck has eight landing spots for Harrier, F 35 JSF or medium helicopters, four spots for heavy helicopters of the CH-47 Chinook type, and one spots large enough for aircraft of V-22 Osprey size.[7] The ship can carry up to 30 aircraft in aircraft carrier mode, using the light vehicles bay as an additional storage zone.[7]
King Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013   #38
Just a bloke
Major General
No Avatar
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,168
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by weegee View Post
Hey guys, I was just wondering are our LHD's large enough for the V-22 Osprey to land on and operate from? I know they are a big plane/helicopter (aircraft) haha and didn't know if they are that big they could not fit onto the LHD's or not? or are the LHD's that big that a whole heap of the Ospreys could land and operate from if so that will be great for the USN and the whole inter operational capability etc thanks
The flight deck is 100 feet wide on the Canberra class and the wing and rotor diameter on the V-22 is 98.9 feet wide, so there isn't a whole lot of room there and very little margin for error on most of the flightdeck.

There might be one or two spots on the flightdeck that can handle the V-22 but I would hazard a guess at "no" for the majority of the ship...

In terms of hangars, elevators etc that wouldn't be a problem as it has a folding rotor capability and it's wingspan and fuselage is much smaller than the Chinook which is intended to be operated from the LHD's.

Does anyone know if the Chinook has to lock it's rotors in the "admin" position before they can be taken below deck on the Canberra Class?
ADMk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013   #39
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
King Wally's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 216
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADMk2 View Post
Does anyone know if the Chinook has to lock it's rotors in the "admin" position before they can be taken below deck on the Canberra Class?
I read once that the Chinooks have to remove their rotors to be stored in the Hanger. It was the only time I heard the topic come up. Can't remember the source however I have a feeling it may have been in that 100 odd page document linked at post #2 of this thread.
King Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2013   #40
Defense Professional / Analyst
Colonel
aussienscale's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Northern Rivers, NSW
Posts: 1,580
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADMk2 View Post
The flight deck is 100 feet wide on the Canberra class and the wing and rotor diameter on the V-22 is 98.9 feet wide, so there isn't a whole lot of room there and very little margin for error on most of the flightdeck.

There might be one or two spots on the flightdeck that can handle the V-22 but I would hazard a guess at "no" for the majority of the ship...

In terms of hangars, elevators etc that wouldn't be a problem as it has a folding rotor capability and it's wingspan and fuselage is much smaller than the Chinook which is intended to be operated from the LHD's.

Does anyone know if the Chinook has to lock it's rotors in the "admin" position before they can be taken below deck on the Canberra Class?
Do recall that the JC/Canberra Class do have a dedicated landing spot on the aft section of the deck where there is more clearance for them, but one spot only, whether it will happen or if the Canberra Class will be cleared for it ? not sure, but would love to see it when our USMC friends are in Darwin.

Also recall that for the Chinook's to be stowed below that their rotor's have to be removed, also remember there were pictures of the JC on
fotosdebarcos.com / fotosdebarcos.org :: Índice

there was a series of pictures on there of an evolution loading Chinook's from the wharf with the Fwd crane and taking below without rotor's

Cheers
aussienscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2013   #41
Just a bloke
Major General
No Avatar
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,168
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Wally View Post
I read once that the Chinooks have to remove their rotors to be stored in the Hanger. It was the only time I heard the topic come up. Can't remember the source however I have a feeling it may have been in that 100 odd page document linked at post #2 of this thread.
Chinook -D models on-wards have a folding blade capability. It's just a manual process, they don't have automatic folding blades.

I imagine this will be looked at closely when they consider operating Chooks from the LHD...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Folded_Blades_1.jpg (215.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Folded_Blades_2.jpg (200.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg dnsc9501589ov5.jpg (56.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg MH-47_with_blade_folding_kit_master.jpg (362.9 KB, 15 views)
ADMk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2013   #42
Defense Aficionado
Lieutenant General
StingrayOZ's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,592
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADMk2 View Post
Chinook -D models on-wards have a folding blade capability. It's just a manual process, they don't have automatic folding blades.

I imagine this will be looked at closely when they consider operating Chooks from the LHD...
I recall the RN can put a chook in the air in about 1/2hr from storage. So while its not automated, it doesn't appear to be a deal breaker. I recall something about them even looking at making it automated like a seakings?

As for the V-22 I believe the JC1 design can even hanger a V-22 as well as land. While I don't think any of the Jc1 operators will operate a V-22, it just adds to the long list of stuff that is able to be cross decked.

The JC1 seems to be an ideal ship to work with the USMC and USN. As its compatible with everything that takes off or comes out of a large USMC LHD. F-35B, V22, Helos, Landing craft etc. So can act as a lillypad, outpost, additional vector, evac, resupply, hospital, etc or could have US stuff posted to it. Its much easier and more worth while training and integrating if the additional asset you get is useful and can operate much the same way as your existing with no special exclusions.
StingrayOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2013   #43
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
No Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 241
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Wally View Post
Came across a pretty decent (largly CGI based) overview of the ship by BAE

BAE LHD - YouTube

Has a lot of additional information I haven't seen elsewhere to be honest, including very specific cut away views of the various decks and facilities on board.
BAE ?? I was thinking that the project was 100 % spanish and the ships have been build and laid up in northern Spain in El Ferrol yards in Galicia, that BAE will finish the ships in Australia is other question but the project is totally spanish, what a ridiculous question.
overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2013   #44
Defense Professional / Analyst
Colonel
aussienscale's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Northern Rivers, NSW
Posts: 1,580
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander View Post
BAE ?? I was thinking that the project was 100 % spanish and the ships have been build and laid up in northern Spain in El Ferrol yards in Galicia, that BAE will finish the ships in Australia is other question but the project is totally spanish, what a ridiculous question.
How can the project be 100% Spanish when the ships are being built for the RAN ?

The project was awarded to the BAE/Navantia consortium, the majority of the construction work and fitout was contracted to Navantia with BAE in Williamstown finishing of the Superstructure and systems fitout.

Cheers
aussienscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2013   #45
Junior Member
Private First Class
Jhom's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 96
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussienscale View Post
How can the project be 100% Spanish when the ships are being built for the RAN ?

The project was awarded to the BAE/Navantia consortium, the majority of the construction work and fitout was contracted to Navantia with BAE in Williamstown finishing of the Superstructure and systems fitout.

Cheers
More like a 70/30 ratio, being generous with the aussie part.
Jhom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:38 PM.