Iranian Submarine

Oqaab

Guys, the report is quite old but interesting.

Iran launches its first submarine

Iran has launched its first domestically-built mini-submarine in the Gulf port of Bandar Abbas.
The Iranian state news agency, IRNA, said the Al-Sabehat-15 submarine was designed to plant mines and carry out reconnaissance missions.

Iran now possesses the technology for designing and production of various kinds of light underwater vessels... this vessel has been designed for the shallow waters of the Persian Gulf

It can accommodate a two-man crew and up to three divers.

Correspondents say Iran has been working towards self-sufficiency in weapons manufacture ever since its war with Iraq in the 1980s.

IRNA quoted the Iranian Defence Minister, Admiral Ali Shamkhani, as saying that the submarine was designed for the shallow waters of the Gulf.

US embargo

The admiral went on to tell those present at the launching ceremony that Iran hoped to sell it to other countries.

Iran bought its weaponry from the United States until the 1979 Islamic revolution, but Washington subsequently imposed an embargo on further sales, which severely handicapped the Iranian armed forces during the war with Iraq.

As well as buying what supplies and equipment it could on the blackmarket, Iran launched a self-sufficiency drive which has so far enabled it to produced light machine guns, missiles, armoured personnel carriers and tanks.

The submarine is thought to be among the most sophisticated pieces of military equipment it has developed.

From BBC=http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/901492.stm

=============

Crew of only 2 !!! I think it is a mini submarine. What do u think guys.

corsair7772

Verified Defense Pro
Were makin mini-subs 2. Even exporting them. And now were building Subs. Irn will alwayz remain a cuple of steps behind us. But still congrats 2 Iran.

Oqaab

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
corsair7772 said:
Were makin mini-subs 2. Even exporting them. And now were building Subs. Irn will alwayz remain a cuple of steps behind us. But still congrats 2 Iran.
Iranians have made this submarine domestically and we are making the Italian midget submarines.

nsdap_id

Not new actually...

Salaam,

I think it is an ol' technology. At WW2 Japan had developed midget subs attached at the sides of bigger ones. When the Japs invaded and pulverized Pearl Harbor, these tiny things participated by intruding quietly under water. One of them was scuttled and stranded in Hawaiian beach; the existence of its crew had been unknown for 63 years...

NSDAP-ruled Germany also developed much more bizzare thing: Human-manned torpedos for underwater infiltration (i.e. putting mine in the hull). The same went to the Japs... :idea2

QUESTION: Should we re-invent this??