Indonesian Navy To Buy Korean Subs Worth $600 Million

ullu

Indonesian Navy To Buy Korean Subs Worth $600 Million

By AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE, JAKARTA

The Indonesian navy is planning to buy two submarines from South Korea worth $600 million, a report said May 24.

“The process of negotiation is directly between the Indonesian government and the South Korean government,†Navy Chief Admiral Bernard Kent Sondakh said, according to the state Antara news agency.

Sondakh said the submarines will cost $300 million apiece but will come with modern equipment.

“The price of standard submarines is usually around $200-250 million per unit but they do not come with adequate equipment. Specially for these two submarines from South Korea, we purchase them already ready for operation,†Sondakh said.

He said the submarines would be acquired through a barter deal involving Indonesian products or commodities, possibly including N-235 passenger planes produced by the state aircraft industry Dirgantara Indonesia.

The navy spokesman could not be immediately reached for comment.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
2 subs is almost useless. In real terms it means 1 on and 1 off on rotation. Without modern combat systems they will struggle against a potential naval OPFOR like Singapores which has a very very competent ASW capability.

joker

The deal is essentially a barter deal... two S.Korean subs at a value of $600 million in exchange for 30 Cn235s from IAe.

I would have liked to see Pakistan pitch the same sort of deal to the Indonesians. Two Agosta 90Bs for approx. $400 million in exchange for 30 CN 235s (in addition to 8-10 An70s to replace the C130 fleet gradually) and mix of Pumas and Bell 417s thus replacing our entire airlift fleet and upgrading our helo fleet with a new additions.

But a number of problems exist 1) if any new Agosta 90bs are to be constructed than the PN wants first dibs as the Agosta 70s are coming of age 2) funding problems exist 3) unreliability of IAe to meet the order 4) surplus equipment "promised" from the US (to be delivered when hell freezes over). Oh well 3 CN 235s and 12 ageing C130s are going to have to suffice.

brahmos

The Korean Subs are going to be leathel and will have state-of-the-art equipment. $600 millions for only two subs is not cheap it's probably going to be better than Agosta 90Bs.

adsH

[EDIT: Read the topic, it isn't about India, it isn't about Pakistan. KOREAN SUBS FOR INDONESIA]

lalith prasad

Banned Member
[EDIT: Read the topic, it isn't about India, it isn't about Pakistan. KOREAN SUBS FOR INDONESIA - this isn't about which sub india is going for. If you want to tell others, please open a different thread.]

adsH

[EDIT: Read the topic, it isn't about India, it isn't about Pakistan. KOREAN SUBS FOR INDONESIA]

:roll

lalith prasad

Banned Member
[[EDIT: Read the topic, it isn't about India, it isn't about Pakistan. KOREAN SUBS FOR INDONESIA]

We may never know... how does a topic on Indonesia buying KOREAN sub turn into India and its sub fleet without previous 4 replies even commenting on the initial thread? :roll

XEROX

South Korea has been and currently is very competent in building commercial tankers, don’t know about military naval vessels or subs though and don’t know about there sonar systems

adsH

Damm !!, I am really sorry !! MOD i thought the Barter trade was between India. I apologize, i think i might be Going abit blind. Once again i Apologize for my Old age :(

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
PJ-10 BrahMos said:
South Korea has been and currently is very competent in building commercial tankers, don’t know about military naval vessels or subs though and don’t know about there sonar systems
The Sth Koreans have a very competent ship building industry, the expertise to build super tankers, anchor boats, refuelers is quite demanding, and the capacity to build anchor boats does have an oblique relationship to subs.

A

Aussie Digger

It makes about as much sense as inducting 2 SU-27's and 2 SU-30's yet that is exactly what the Indonesian Air Force has done. I guess they are trying to acquire 2 subs now and probably more further down the track, like they will with SU-27/30's.

Salman78

S Korea is going to build these subs for Indoneais anew or they going to just retrofit the older ones in their use with new equipment. What weapons are they going to carry ?

Ethan

This cant be right. South Korea does not have an indigineous design of a submarine. It operates a large fllet of Type-209 class subs that it manufactured locally under licence and now it's going to do the same with the Type-214 subs. I am assuming if the news is correct then these two subs are probably earlier Type-209 subs.

kubai02

Indonesia have an inventory of 2 Type 209s (Cakra) which were upgraded in the 90s. I suspect that the South Korea deal is for refurbished ex-ROKN boats and this will complement their existing numbers bringing it to 4 of the same type. The current indonesia boats are armed with German SUT torpedoes.

tatra

Verified Defense Pro
kubai02 said:
Indonesia have an inventory of 2 Type 209s (Cakra) which were upgraded in the 90s. I suspect that the South Korea deal is for refurbished ex-ROKN boats and this will complement their existing numbers bringing it to 4 of the same type. The current indonesia boats are armed with German SUT torpedoes.
These German designed torpedo are locally manufactured and also exported (Taiwan)