Go Back   Defense Technology & Military Forum > Global Defense & Military > Navy & Maritime
Forgot Password? Join Us! Its's free!

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures

Nellis_14_1298-1.JPG

Nellis_14_0771-1.JPG

Nellis_14_0887-1.JPG

Nellis_14_0043-1.JPG
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

Recent Photos - DefenceTalk Military Gallery

Indonesia: 'green water navy'

This is a discussion on Indonesia: 'green water navy' within the Navy & Maritime forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; Originally Posted by pasukangeraktjepat I don't see it being optimistic Gf, i heard that it was a very very minimum ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.07 average.
Old June 30th, 2005   #16
Grumpy Old Man
General
Threads:
Re: Indonesia: 'green water navy'

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasukangeraktjepat
I don't see it being optimistic Gf, i heard that it was a very very minimum force that we must have, first the navy want to have around 190 warships, to secure indonesian ocean.But our goverment can't afford, so they ask for around 171 warships, still our govt can't afford.So after a long debate that was left for our navy.
my comment relates to optimism in light of the existing and available budget. you need money to do those things - and you've already agreed with some of us on a paucity of monies to cover off even existing essential capabilities.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"
http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
http://cofda.wordpress.com/
gf0012-aust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2005   #17
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
No Avatar
Threads:

Indonesian military have a considerable level of "rogueness". I think some of u have heard about an Indonesian F-5s intercepted and harassed an Australian transport flight. of course, the first thing australia did is point a finger at the indonesian top military brass. but later it was find out that the intercept was authorized by a regional commander, who i guess, eager to show off his troops.

Quote:
thats a really small navy considering they have over 5000 islands to secure... funny... 2 months ago they want to pick a fight with malaysia....
in reality it's more like an attempt by the government to divert people attentions from internal problems. it happen closely after indonesian government decide to stop subsidizing fuel, which obviously trigger a riot.

Last edited by gf0012-aust; July 7th, 2005 at 04:37 AM. Reason: merged
Pendekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2005
Pendekar
This message has been deleted by gf0012-aust. Reason: merged - concurrent post
Old July 7th, 2005   #18
Defense Enthusiast
Master Sergeant
No Avatar
Threads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendekar
I think some of u have heard about an Indonesian F-5s intercepted and harassed an Australian transport flight.
I've not heard of such an incident. When and where did it take place? Could you provide a link?
Supe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2005   #19
Private First Class
No Avatar
Threads:

This is the link for the incident from Indonesian view : http://www.angkasa-online.com/10/08/...h/english5.htm .AussieDigger and Gf has discussed this in other thread.By the way I found an article written by Soviet submarine commander who brought our first submarine to Indonesia, you can read it in : http://www.neswa.org.au/Library/Arti...to_friends.htm .And a nice site about Indonesian navy with picture in http://www.cvl.iis.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~kazmi/KRI.html, unfortunately this site only in Indonesian language.

Last edited by pasukangeraktjepat; July 8th, 2005 at 04:18 AM.
pasukangeraktjepat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2005   #20
Defense Enthusiast
Master Sergeant
No Avatar
Threads:

Thanks for that. Excellent pics of the Indonesian Navy. Are the Sigma corvettes replacing older ships or are they augmenting the fleet?

http://www.cvl.iis.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~ka...es/sigma01.jpg
Old July 8th, 2005   #21
Private First Class
No Avatar
Threads:

I don't know exactly.But i've heard that beside operate a lot of old warship, our navy leader is more interesting in operating a small number of new warship.
Old July 20th, 2005   #22
Defense Enthusiast
Corporal
No Avatar
Threads:

The missile boats they have will be affective. For five hundred islands, they don't have much.
Jason_kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2005   #23
Banned Member
Corporal
No Avatar
Threads:

Quote:
The RAN might advise that all Indonesian warships should be painted Brilliant white with a VERY large round red circle, painted right in the middle of them
top stuff!!!!!!!!!!
cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2005   #24
Banned Member
Sergeant
No Avatar
Threads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasukangeraktjepat
So when i remember the australian support for East Timor independence, i can't blame the australian for that.They just make their choice, anyway i hope we can start a new relationship.
Halo dari Australia, saya memikirkan itu adalah kemungkinan di masa mendatang jika Indonesia membahas demokrasi penuh dan pelanggaran hak asasi perhentian TNI di West Papua don Aceh

In english
Hello from Australia, I think that is a possibility in the future if Indonesia takes up full democracy and the TNI stop human rights abuse in West Papua and Aceh
Stryker001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2005   #25
Private First Class
No Avatar
Threads:

Well in Soeharto era maybe we have a bad-history dealing with the separatist movement.In dealing with the separatist our govt. try to separate the separatist from the common people.There was a theory that some of army intelligence officer made a 'separatist-movement wannabe' or 'pseudo-separatist movement' that make a cruel action to the common people in Aceh and Papua (killing,raping,etc).So the army could get a symphaty from the common people in the battle again the separatist.But this only make a common-people in Aceh and West Papua suffer so much.
I read some years ago in Kompas, indonesia newspaper, the TNI oficer got this strategy from their training in USA.
Nowadays we try to solve this separatist problem with a negosiation.
Old July 21st, 2005   #26
Private
Threads:

Why does Indonesia need a large navy? Whom she is going to fight ? China ,India,MalayAsia or the US.

Actually Indonesia does not need a large number of frigates and destroyers. It needs long range advanced patrol crafts ( in large numbers ) , helicopter carriers and long range survillance aircrafts . All these for protection of its vital sea routes from illegal traffic, piracy and illegal weapon's trade.
It has got numerous islands which needs to be protected from separists ( or freedom fighters ) . So a considerable number of landing crafts are also required for troop transportation .

Actually I do not see any immediate threat to the nation so it is useless for her to drain its resources by building a ' show piece ' navy .

:
ArjunMK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2005   #27
Defense Enthusiast
Master Sergeant
No Avatar
Threads:

Helicopter carriers would make an interesting addition to the Indonesian Navy. I mentioned it in an earlier post. Something along the lines of what Australia is looking at would allow for great flexibility.
Old July 21st, 2005   #28
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
No Avatar
Threads:

nice preview, if we let go the fact that indonesia can't even properly maintain it's current assets. why, they can't even arm their 2 SU-30s. But from the news, i see a light in a future. But i bet that Singapore or Malaysia will acquire the LHD before indonesia.
Old July 21st, 2005   #29
Defense Enthusiast
Master Sergeant
No Avatar
Threads:

Quote:
But i bet that Singapore or Malaysia will acquire the LHD before indonesia.
Now there's a possibility.... I just see such a ship has having a bit more utility for the Indonesians than it would for its neighbours. I'm thinking of an LHD in Indonesian service to be used in a plethora of roles. Whether it's used to aid in domestic security (inherent amphibious capability) , patrolling pirate infested waters, providing humanitarian aid en masse and yes, even power projection it would have to be considered be a desirable asset.

With decent command and control facilities it would be a force multiplier for whatever role its used in. I can imagine it being used as a floating sea base for patrol vessels and helos patrolling vital shipping lanes in order to curb piracy.
Old July 21st, 2005   #30
Private
Threads:

Continuing my previous post ;

Can any body tell me the nations who are hostile against Indonesia and requires a large navy to be stopped !!

I think Indonesia is among peaceful ASEAN neighbours and its only threat is the separists !!
ArjunMK1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: