Indian ADS aircraft carrier

P.A.F

http://www.indianexpress.com/full_story.php?content_id=67028

Work begins on first aircraft carrier in April
EXPRESS NEWS SERVICE [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Posted online: Thursday, March 24, 2005 at 0000 hours IST[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif]NEW DELHI, MARCH 23: India will join the select band of three countries that have the capability to manufacture heavy aircraft carriers when Defence Minister Pranab Mukherjee launches construction of the 37,500-tonne displacement indigenous carrier in Kochi on April 11.

The carrier, designed to operate a mix of Russian Mig-29K, naval version of the light combat aircraft, Sea Harriers, advance light helicopters and anti-submarine and maritime reconnaissance Kamov-31 helicopters, is expected to be delivered by the Cochin Shipyard by early 2012, Vice-Admiral Yashwant Prasad, Vice-Chief of the Naval Staff, said here.

http://banners.expressindia.com/adsnew/adclick.php?bannerid=711&zoneid=377&source=&dest=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.online.citibank.co.in%2Fportal%2Fcitiin%2Fforms%2Fcitiinrcaflash.jsp%3FexternalOfferCode%3DIEXGL200
‘‘With this, India will join an elite group of countries with the capability.’’ So far, only France, the United States and the United Kingdom have the capability.

There is general agreement in the Navy that at least two carriers are needed for both seaboards — that will happen only in 2012 when the ADS joins the Admiral Gorshkov in Indian waters, a matter currently under the scrutiny of Naval headquarters. The Indian Navy currently operates the over 40-year-old INS Viraat and in 2008 will be replaced by the INS Vikramaditya (Admiral Gorshkov). The Vice-Chief also indicated that while there was no immediate plan, the ADS would possibly be followed up by another home-grown carrier to take the strength to three.

The tenders for landing aids, surveillance radars and other deck-based equipment will be floated in 2006, once blocks of the ship are in place. The ship’s twin gas-turbine propulsion system has already been decided on in consultation with advisory partners, Italian firm Fincantieri. The Navy will shortly be sending its build strategy to the Italian firm for its opinion before formalising the plan, and is expected to be ready by June this year. When ready, the 252 metre-long vessel will accommodate 160 officers and about 1,400 crew and is likely to be based out of the Karwar mega-base the Navy is currently building under Project Seabird. ------------------------------------------------------------------

More info on the carrier:
http://www.indiadefence.com/ADS1.htm

have to say its looking good:coffee
[/font]

aaaditya

there are reports that india is looking for the aster missile offered by the mbda,well it must be for this carrier.:coffee

kashifshahzad

Banned Member
This is very good advancemets in Indian Navy India is enphasizing on the air carriers and the ships only I think India is a bit behind in Submarines.As far as I know the range of aircrafts which are present on the carriers in limited if one missile hits the carrier the carrier with all the aircrafts and helicopters will drown;)

A

Aussie Digger

The article is overlooking the Spanish IZAR company which is currently building 27000 ton Amphibious warfare ship for the Spanish and potentially Australian Navy. In addition, Australia maintains a latent capability to build ships of this size, this will be demonstrated when it's 2 planned Amphibious ships are finally selected. Both ships will be manufactured in Australia and are expected to exceed 25,000 Tons...

aaaditya

well aussie i think amphibious ships and carriers are a bit different.if it were to amphibious ships yes india also has that capability(india has the capability of building defenceships of 10000+tons and commercial ships of upto100000 tons). and so do several other countries.:coffee

corsair7772

Verified Defense Pro
So much for india joining the select band of three countries capable of building aircraft carrier (its actually more than three if u include light aircraft carriers as well). Most of the equipment is foreign, even the basic structure! And whats wrong with atleast giving the so-called domestic LCA a future by making a naval version? The indians have a long way to go if they want to become a super power and if their serious they should concentrate on building indigenous equipment for which all you need is intense patriotic pride, not gizmos or any of that crappy "technical knowledge and facilities".

aaaditya

well lets see how many aircraft carriers has china constructed?these things take time ,there is no magic wand which you can wave and a fully combat ready aircraft carrier would (indigenously built) get comissioned and by the way india is not looking to become a superpower in the next one hour or so ,india knows very well that such an effort will take time ,but it is working towards that goal(with fair amount of success),you need to walk before you can run and even for that you need someone to help,it is the same in this case you need to acquire some essential technology and then study them and develop your own technology,if there is superior technology available in foreign market and if it serves your immediate interest there is nothing wrong in acquiring them and develop competencies for it(that i beleive is one of the purposes of tech transfer),and one more thing indian's do not lack patriotic pride nor do they lack the brains ,but every development has a certain gestation period and india realised it potential relatively late(during the nineties) considering that, it has made rapid strides in several fields.there was atime in the 80-90's when pakistan was way ahead of india in several fields but now india has left pakistan behind in several fields,this shows india's commitment and determination towards becoming a superpower and god willing or not(inshallah as muslims say or no inshallah),india shall achieve it.:coffee :D :coffee :coffee

berry580

aaaditya said:
one more thing indian's do not lack patriotic pride nor do they lack the brains
A tank with over 50% foreign component with foreign technology, with foreign assistance and over 2 centuries of 'hard work' but still gets rejected by THEIR OWN army.
You rate their ability for me, I don't want to do the dirty work.:rolleyes:
If they can develop an 'indigenous' tank with such degree of success, please show me the way in how well would an 'indigenous' aircraft carrier go.
I seriously hope the bottle won't be smashed too hard on the ship when it's being launched. :coffee

tatra

Verified Defense Pro
berry580 said:
A tank with over 50% foreign component with foreign technology, with foreign assistance and over 2 centuries of 'hard work' but still gets rejected by THEIR OWN army.
You rate their ability for me, I don't want to do the dirty work.:rolleyes:
If they can develop an 'indigenous' tank with such degree of success, please show me the way in how well would an 'indigenous' aircraft carrier go.
I seriously hope the bottle won't be smashed too hard on the ship when it's being launched. :coffee
You are not seriously suggesting that Chinese and especially Pakistani tanks are any better in this respect, are you?

berry580

tatra said:
You are not seriously suggesting that Chinese and especially Pakistani tanks are any better in this respect, are you?
Well for a start, would Chinese and Pakistani's 'indigenous' tanks turn out to be more expensive than imported tanks?:p:

vrus

Did you know that a tank and an aircraft carrier are two different things ? A tank is something that moves on land and an aircraft carrier moves in water. Correct me if I am wrong berry. Can you tell me when this 'indigenous' tank was made ? Also, what makes you think that the ship might get damaged if the bottle is hit too hard ? Is it your mental block or are you planning a sabotage ?

berry580

vrus said:
Did you know that a tank and an aircraft carrier are two different things ? A tank is something that moves on land and an aircraft carrier moves in water. Correct me if I am wrong berry. Can you tell me when this 'indigenous' tank was made ? Also, what makes you think that the ship might get damaged if the bottle is hit too hard ? Is it your mental block or are you planning a sabotage ?
Oh, i c. So you think Indians are more talented in making things that floats than things that rolls, aye?;)
Well then you better hope your child in the future will know how to run before s/he can walk.

LOL You ask ME when this 'indigenous' tank was made? My friend, I don't know if you're an Indian supporter not, but it's quite apparent you don't know what you're supporting. How can you possibly not know the famous Arjun?:confused:
I don't think the the bottle would damage the ship, who told you it? Don't be paranoid. It's just that I'm afraid the bottle's glass would fly everywhere if it's broken and might injury people, you need to be considerate, you know?
Mental block? Sabotage? LOL You have good imaginations.
I have a great bright future in Australia, why go to Indian? I don't want to get [Mod Edit: Read the rules pal. We encourage mature people around here , not cussin]. (yuck....)

Last edited by a moderator:

highsea

Gentlemen, I'm about ready to start deleting off topic replies. :nono

The topic is ADS, not tanks. Get it?

aaaditya

i beleive these would be for the navy too9i think they are capable of landing on the carrier).:coffee

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/font]Northrop may sell spy planes to India
BLOOMBERG[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Posted online: Tuesday, June 14, 2005 at 1230 hours IST[/font]

JUNE 14 : Northrop Grumman Corp., the No. 3 US military contractor, said it's in talks to provide

surveillance aircraft to Malaysia, Spain, India and other countries to expand sales internationally.

The company is in discussions to sell its Hawkeye 2000 E-2C aircraft to these countries, which also include the United Arab Emirates, said Tom Trudell, manager of International Business Development, at the Paris Air Show yesterday.

The Hawkeye has been the US Navy's primary

surveillance and patrol aircraft since 1973. Outside of the US, it's used by air forces in Egypt, Israel, Japan, France, Singapore and Taiwan. The Hawkeye 2000 is the fifth generation of the plane.

Northrop, which has been in talks to provide the Hawkeye 2000 to India, may get an initial order for six of the aircraft valued at $1.3 billion, Trudell said.

``We're still in preliminary discussions,'' he said. ``We'll meet again in July to discuss their needs.'' Northrop shares rose 0.28 percent to $56.77 yesterday in New York. They've gained 4.4 percent this year.

http://www.financialexpress.com/latest_full_story.php?content_id=93785

well eagerly expecting them.:coffee

amatsunz

could someone explain to me why the are building these things? as berry pointed out, you should learn to walk before you run ( Arjun ). There main adversary is right next to them, why build an aircraft carrier, I dont think the royal navy would have been the power it was if the uk wasnt an island. An Airforce and army (with imported tanks ;) ) is surely more deserving of the money. China cant really hurt them from the sea, as it really isnt a blue water machine. If the Indians wanted to control the indian ocean, well, thats absurd as i think we all must agree that the US Navy controls it, It doesnt take a genius to realise that in a naval engagement a US Navy strike group (Super hornets linked to Hawkeye 2000, TLAM, TMD, Aegis, Nuc subs etc) is really going to send the indians (and the pakistanies for that matter) to the bottom, esp. in an open ocean engagement (with you have to face up to if you want to control the indian ocean) there is NO WAY they would let some one control the sea btween them and the oil in the gulf), so the why an aircraft carrier!

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
amatsunz said:
could someone explain to me why the are building these things? as berry pointed out, you should learn to walk before you run ( Arjun ). There main adversary is right next to them, why build an aircraft carrier, I dont think the royal navy would have been the power it was if the uk wasnt an island. An Airforce and army (with imported tanks ;) ) is surely more deserving of the money. China cant really hurt them from the sea, as it really isnt a blue water machine. If the Indians wanted to control the indian ocean, well, thats absurd as i think we all must agree that the US Navy controls it, It doesnt take a genius to realise that in a naval engagement a US Navy strike group (Super hornets linked to Hawkeye 2000, TLAM, TMD, Aegis, Nuc subs etc) is really going to send the indians (and the pakistanies for that matter) to the bottom, esp. in an open ocean engagement (with you have to face up to if you want to control the indian ocean) there is NO WAY they would let some one control the sea btween them and the oil in the gulf), so the why an aircraft carrier!
Considering the fact that the bulk of the US oil imports are from Canada - then I'm not even sure why the US would want to bottle up the Indian Ocean.

Unless you've been asleep for the last few months you would have noticed that both India and the US are working co-operatively in a number of Naval areas. Both countries are talking about co-operation in a significant number of areas - and not only military.

How will the ADS effect the Indi-US relationship? It doesn't. Why have an ADS? Have a look at Indias threat matrix, have a look at her areas of interest and current force disposition. It makes more than sense to me.

amatsunz

Why would the US be interested in the oil in the mid east? quite simply the largest supplies are in 1) Saudi Arabia and 2) Iraq. Whilst THEY may not recieve the bulk of their oil from there, the world and thus global economic prosperity ie global trade does rely on it. What do you think the impact on the US economy would be if that oil dried in this era of globalisation?. Come on are you seriously suggesting the the US isnt interested the the oil in the gulf!!! 10 years of no fly zones over Iraq, reflagged kuwaiti tankers in the 80s, and 2 gulf wars latter....... I didnt hear of US aircraft over Rwanda in 1994, but then again they dont have oil. The US 5th fleet was re-established in the 1990s, its area of responsability-the persian gulf and indian ocean- i wonder why!
No ive not been asleep for the last few months, ive noticeed the increasingly friendly relasionship with india. Ive also noticed the increasingly friendly relationship with their arch enemy pakistan, new f-16s anyone?, and large sales of boeing aircraft to "the other indian enemy" China, can you tell me who the US would support in a indo-pakistan war???? I dont think they would care as long as both sides buy from uncle sam and the oil keeps on a flow'in. As far as naval co-operation goes, im not suggesting that the us navy is planning to sink the indians, why would they, my point is that in the indian ocean the us navy reigns supreme, why then build a carrier if not for ocean supremacy. As far as its threat matrix, navaly china cant really touch it by pure geographical location, and no blue water threat. Pakistans navy is inferior, but i doubt indian asw is up to the task of protecting ADS. SO HOW IS ADS RELEVANT TO THE THREAT, im sure the indian troops in Kashmir ask the same question!

ashblackhawk

Banned Member
im not suggesting that the us navy is planning to sink the indians, why would they, my point is that in the indian ocean the us navy reigns supreme, why then build a carrier if not for ocean supremacy.

by the way which country are you from ? :coffee

vrus

There hasn't been too much news about this but, I think India supplied some naval vessel to Mauritus ? Patrol boat ? Dunno. Then Thailand asks for Brahmos. I think India is trying to get island nations in the Indian Ocean as allies so they can access large amounts of water.