HMAS Armidale / Armidale Class Patrol Boats

sunbury23

I have a question about HMAS Armidale or the Armidale class ships. The Ships Company on HMAS Armidale is 21, What i haven't been able to find out what roles the 21 crew have.
eg: how many mechanics, Boatswains Mate, Combat Systems Operators, Medical Officers etc make up the 21 crew.

Thanks.

Tasman

Ship Watcher
Verified Defense Pro
I have a question about HMAS Armidale or the Armidale class ships. The Ships Company on HMAS Armidale is 21, What i haven't been able to find out what roles the 21 crew have.
eg: how many mechanics, Boatswains Mate, Combat Systems Operators, Medical Officers etc make up the 21 crew.

Thanks.
Have a look at The Real Sea Patrol on the ADF website. It is an interactive site which gives an insight into what happens aboard an Armidale.

http://www.navy.gov.au/general/seapatrol.html

Tas

KiwiRob

How do these compare the the new RNZN inshore patrol boats, they are about the same size, have about the same endurance, althought they are better armed, I think.

AGRA

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
The Tenix IPV design was offered as a competitor to the Austal design for the Armidale class patrol boat (ACPB) competition. They are very similar in terms of potential capability. The Tenix boat is made from steel, which means it displaces more water for the same volume and the Austal from aluminium, which makes it cheaper and ‘lighter’. The Tenix steel boat should is designed for a life of 20-25 years and the cheaper Austal boat 15 years.

The IPV could be fitted with a 25mm remote control gun like the ACPB but its not the RNZN’s requirement – a the moment. The DS25M 25mm fitted to the OPVs is considered by many to be much more robust than the Typhoon on the ACPBs – being designed for repeated total water submersion. However the Typhoon is integrated with the TopLite sensor pod making it a far more accurate shooter.