Help

mr. H

Hi everyone,

I'm new here! I need your help. I have to do a project in school concerning maritime law. It would be good if it had a real life component/ problem in it as well. There's one particular case I have in mind but I don't know if it concerns maritime law( that's because I don't have any info yet). I wanted to add in my project a Royal navy military disaster that occured in 2nd half of 19th century if I am correct. One warship ramed into another in mediterranean during an exercise if I'm not mistaken. I need more info about this case (what's the name of this particular case,....). I know Royal navy applied many regulations after this incident. I would ike to know if it had impact on maritime law as well. I would like to see your suggestions as well (concerning real life problem in maritime law if you have better ideas). I appreciate your assistance :)

alexsa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Hi everyone,

I'm new here! I need your help. I have to do a project in school concerning maritime law. It would be good if it had a real life component/ problem in it as well. There's one particular case I have in mind but I don't know if it concerns maritime law( that's because I don't have any info yet). I wanted to add in my project a Royal navy military disaster that occured in 2nd half of 19th century if I am correct. One warship ramed into another in mediterranean during an exercise if I'm not mistaken. I need more info about this case (what's the name of this particular case,....). I know Royal navy applied many regulations after this incident. I would ike to know if it had impact on maritime law as well. I would like to see your suggestions as well (concerning real life problem in maritime law if you have better ideas). I appreciate your assistance :)
Naval manoeuvres then to fall outside the "rules of the road" but have a look at the Collision Regulations Convention.

Hi everyone,

I think you are referring to the sinkng of HMS Victoria in 1893 by HMS Camperdown, there is a link to Wiki below. I am not sure what impact it had on Maritime Law, however in Andrew Gordon's book "Rules of the Game" he claims it had an adverse impact on the leadership style of the RN, leading to it's poor performance at Jutland, a quarter of a century later. Incidently Jellicoe was a young midshipman on Victoria and only just escaped with his life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Victoria_(1887)