General Naval News

KiwiRob

I thought this purchase was encouraged by the Swedish govt, mainly to ensure that there is the ability to design and build submarines in Sweden, something that was under threat with German ownership.

Blackshoe

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
You have to wonder which direction the goverment is likly to take the new exportable position of Japanese defence equipment means to Australia, some are speculating that we will licence build the Soryu class boats for the RAN & Clive palmer believes we should just go with the US.

Australia to sign new submarines deal with Japan as Prime Minister Shinzo Abe visits Tony Abbott in Canberra | News.com.au

No Cookies | The Courier-Mail
I bet the Taiwanese would be very excited about the opportunity to buy some new Soryu-class submarines from the Australians. Probably a few other countries in the region would be interested as well-it's a great alternative to either German or South Korean license-built boats.

As far as Messr Palmer's suggestion...I think nuke boats are bridge too far for the Australian public-and I'm not sure they would really fit well with what the Aussies do with their boats.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I bet the Taiwanese would be very excited about the opportunity to buy some new Soryu-class submarines from the Australians. Probably a few other countries in the region would be interested as well-it's a great alternative to either German or South Korean license-built boats.
I worked for a contractor who had a relationship with Collins development and with the Taiwanese. The CSI in Taiwan were desperate to get access to Collins either at discretionary tech levels or as a turnkey. It was a political bridge too far - getting a co-op boat via Japan and Aust would be a bigger bridge to cross

As far as Messr Palmer's suggestion...I think nuke boats are bridge too far for the Australian public-and I'm not sure they would really fit well with what the Aussies do with their boats.
Palmers comments are a good example of where he's either done no research or been provided with poor advice.

A nuke driven boat is out of the question - and poss for another generation at least

Last edited:

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I worked for a contractor who had a relationship with Collins development and with the Taiwanese. The CSI in Taiwan were desperate to get access to Collins either at discrtetionary tech levels or as a turnkey. It was a political bridge too far - getting a co-op boat via Japan and Aust would be a bigger bridge to cross

Palmers comments are a good example of where he's either done no research or been provided with poor advice.

A nuke driven boat is out of the question - and poss for another generation at least

Joe Black

I worked for a contractor who had a relationship with Collins development and with the Taiwanese. The CSI in Taiwan were desperate to get access to Collins either at discrtetionary tech levels or as a turnkey. It was a political bridge too far - getting a co-op boat via Japan and Aust would be a bigger bridge to cross
I think ASC could have simply provided the tech know-how or play the advisory role. Taiwan should build their own subs. First of may be a really expensive affair, but subsequent boats and future classes will be much easier.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I think ASC could have simply provided the tech know-how or play the advisory role.
No, not evem remotely under consideration - political hot potato

Taiwan should build their own subs. First of may be a really expensive affair, but subsequent boats and future classes will be much easier.
they've wanted to partner up before with numerous others - every time they try the mainland gets grumpy with the suitor

not enough capability and internal political climate to build their own.

the road runner

Has anything been made public regarding the level of co operation between Japan and Australia for closer defence ties (and Sub's)?

I assume we may partner on a number of future Naval programs

Blackshoe

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
There wasn't an Iranian specific thread, so it felt right here.

An Iranian frigate as part of their Caspian Sea Naval (not IRCG) force ran aground on some breakers a couple weeks sank yesterday. Video here.

The ship was commissioned in 2015.

alexsa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

An Iranian frigate as part of their Caspian Sea Naval (not IRCG) force ran aground on some breakers a couple weeks sank yesterday. Video here.

Looking at the image at the top of that page it is pretty clear the frigate (or Destroyer as Iran like to describe her) broke her back before going down

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

Not good for that Captains promotion chances. Wonder if they Courts Martial ships Captains in the Iranian Navy and if so what would the penalty be?

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Calling her a frigate is a bit generous, and a destroyer is ludicrous; she was about 1400 tons and 94 metres long according to Janes. Certainly a career (in the widest sense) limiting move. Wonder what happened - massive stuff up (possible) or systems failure leaving her without power (could be more possible).

FORBIN

Fincantieri Started Work on First Qatari Navy Air Defense Corvette

The steel cutting ceremony of the first “Doha” class corvette ordered to Fincantieri by the Qatari Ministry of Defence within the national naval acquisition programme, took place on July 30 at the Muggiano (La Spezia) yard, in the presence of the Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of State of Qatar for Defence Affairs, His Excellency Khalid Bin Mohamed Al Attiyah and the Italian Minister of Defence, Elisabetta Trenta, welcomed by the Chairman and the CEO of Fincantieri Giampiero Massolo and Giuseppe Bono.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Fincantieri Started Work on First Qatari Navy Air Defense Corvette

The steel cutting ceremony of the first “Doha” class corvette ordered to Fincantieri by the Qatari Ministry of Defence within the national naval acquisition programme, took place on July 30 at the Muggiano (La Spezia) yard, in the presence of the Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of State of Qatar for Defence Affairs, His Excellency Khalid Bin Mohamed Al Attiyah and the Italian Minister of Defence, Elisabetta Trenta, welcomed by the Chairman and the CEO of Fincantieri Giampiero Massolo and Giuseppe Bono.
We have requirements that posters provide some commentary rather than just cutting and pasting articles. Your posting habits have begun to concern the Moderators. If you are posting just pictures or videos, please post them in the Photos & Video section rather than within the specific topics unless you are using them to illustrate a point that you are making in a related post.

You have also posted some items without posting a link to the source or source for the item. That breaches international copyright law and as such leaves you and the forum open o accusations of plagiarism. You are required to post links and or sources to all items that you have posted without said links or sources.

Nous avons des exigences pour que les affiches fournissent des commentaires plutôt que de simplement copier et coller des articles. Vos habitudes de publication ont commencé à concerner les Modérateurs. Si vous ne publiez que des photos ou des vidéos, veuillez les publier dans la section Photos et Vidéo plutôt que dans les rubriques spécifiques, sauf si vous les utilisez pour illustrer un point que vous avez créé dans un message associé.

Vous avez également publié des éléments sans publier de lien vers la source ou la source de l'élément. Cela enfreint la loi internationale sur le droit d'auteur et, en tant que tel, vous laisse, ainsi que le forum, des accusations de plagiat. Vous devez publier des liens et / ou des sources sur tous les éléments que vous avez publiés sans ces liens ou sources.

Last edited:

FORBIN

We have requirements that posters provide some commentary rather than just cutting and pasting articles. Your posting habits have begun to concern the Moderators. If you are posting just pictures or videos, please post them in the Photos & Video section rather than within the specific topics unless you are using them to illustrate a point that you are making in a related post.

You have also posted some items without posting a link to the source or source for the item. That breaches international copyright law and as such leaves you and the forum open o accusations of plagiarism. You are required to post links and or sources to all items that you have posted without said links or sources.

Nous avons des exigences pour que les affiches fournissent des commentaires plutôt que de simplement copier et coller des articles. Vos habitudes de publication ont commencé à concerner les Modérateurs. Si vous ne publiez que des photos ou des vidéos, veuillez les publier dans la section Photos et Vidéo plutôt que dans les rubriques spécifiques, sauf si vous les utilisez pour illustrer un point que vous avez créé dans un message associé.

Vous avez également publié des éléments sans publier de lien vers la source ou la source de l'élément. Cela enfreint la loi internationale sur le droit d'auteur et, en tant que tel, vous laisse, ainsi que le forum, des accusations de plagiat. Vous devez publier des liens et / ou des sources sur tous les éléments que vous avez publiés sans ces liens ou sources.
Ok on other forums they dont have these rules and i have always posted as it since many years sometimes i add a little comment so I did not know ...after for what i don't have posted links ? normaly for all articles i did curious.

For pics i post actual pic in relation to the news … so if i post out for me not the right topic…
P.S : pics i catch in general in social medias and i don't save links ofc.

Say to me please what are exactly you concerns.

Last edited:

Preceptor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok on other forums they dont have these rules and i have always posted as it since many years sometimes i add a little comment so I did not know ...after for what i don't have posted links ? normaly for all articles i did curious.

For pics i post actual pic in relation to the news … so if i post out for me not the right topic…
P.S : pics i catch in general in social medias and i don't save links ofc.

Say to me please what are exactly you concerns.
DefenceTalk strives to provide a different environment from other internet forums, even forums that cover similar topics. We do this using a set of forum rules which are strictly enforced. Following upgrades to the forum software, we are working to get a copy re-posted so that all members, new and old can view them.

In the meantime, when members post to the forum, there is an expectation that their post will contribute to the discussion and debate on the forum including their own thoughts and content. Posting a copy of a sourced/referenced article or preferably a link to avoid claims of copyright infringement is fine, provided the post also contains more than a line or two of the member's own questions, thoughts or opinions.

Also, unless a member is uploading pictures in the Picture Gallery there is a requirement that the posted picture include content from the member that is relevant both to the picture they uploaded, and the thread the post was made in. Just uploading a picture to a thread simply because the member thinks it looks 'cool' is frowned upon.

These requirements are all in place maintain the quality of discussion on DefenceTalk.
-Preceptor

yavar

Do not post videos / copy whole articles followed by an one-line from you (comments must be longer than that). Further, we do not encourage converting discussion threads into news ribbons. Warning issued.

Yemen Ansarullah cruise missile strike Saudi Arabia Abha airport
Saudi Arabia says Iran behind Houthi missile attack on airport

Do not post videos / copy whole articles followed by an one-line from you (comments must be longer than that). Further, we do not encourage converting discussion threads into news ribbons. Warning issued.

Ngatimozart

Last edited by a moderator: