French Govt. going to take charge
of Pakistan Mairne Academy
plz confirm and 2ndly why ??

Thx
Regards
Bless u All

Big-E

Banned Member
I can't confirm or deny if the French are taking over, but they are changing the administration. To answer why, the academy has been trying to fix the employment problems of the PMA cadets getting jobs with foreign flag carriers. They have been integrating the private sector to help integrate the cadets to meet the standards of the World Maritime University. Khan Ghouri didn't like the fact that cadets were having difficulty integrating on Western ships ie. lack of respect in a post 9/11 environment.

contedicavour

Well, the French are after all providing the Pakistani Navy with all of its submarines (Agosta 90).
However I would be surprised if the French took too major a role in training of the Pakistani Navy since (i) the surface fleet is likely to be made of Chinese frigates in the near future and (ii) the French don't want to anger the Indians with the Scorpene submarine deal underway, it is worth too many billions of dollars...

cheers

amber

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
contedicavour said:
Well, the French are after all providing the Pakistani Navy with all of its submarines (Agosta 90).
However I would be surprised if the French took too major a role in training of the Pakistani Navy since (i) the surface fleet is likely to be made of Chinese frigates in the near future and (ii) the French don't want to anger the Indians with the Scorpene submarine deal underway, it is worth too many billions of dollars...

cheers
well Sir wid due respect i dont think so taking a charge of Pakistan Marine academy will put any sort of bad effect on indian deal wid french for Scorpene its jus tht France 've their own sort of relation wid India and Pakistan....

as far as my poor knowledge is concerned The Scorpene submarine deal India signed with France has had its share of controversy with German officials complaining that HDW, the German consortium, was not allowed to bid for the contract.

plus
The French were upset when the Indian government ignored the European consortium and opted for American Boeing commercial jets to refurbish the national carrier Air-India's ageing fleet. The Airbus deal is worth $2.4 billion.

Germany too has reasons to be happy with Indian Airlines deal as it is part of the European consortium. However, the Germans are extremely unhappy with the Scorpene deal. German officials said they were not even allowed to bid for the contract. They also emphasised that the Indian government's new defence procurement policy prohibited single-vendor supply for capital procurements. In fact, there was not even the bidding process, a normal practice when big international defence deals are negotiated. Germany's HDW was blacklisted by the Indian government for an unprecedented length of time as a case filed by the CBI dragged on in Indian courts. The case was closed only in early 2004, after 23 years. German officials hinted that vested interests saw to it that the matter remained unresolved so that HDW would remain blacklisted.

Like all big defence deals that India has entered into in recent years, the Scorpene deal has also generated its share of controversy. The French had lobbied for the deal for quite some time. The previous National Democratic Alliance (NDA) government had decided on the French-made submarines overlooking the claims of German and Russian manufacturers. The former National Security Adviser, Brajesh Mishra, had reportedly taken a personal interest in the matter. The NDA government decided to diversify arms purchases so as to gain the maximum political leverage in key countries.

Germany and Russia were the traditional suppliers of submarines for the Indian Navy. Companies from these countries had offered submarines, which they claimed were qualitatively better than the Scorpene, at a much cheaper price. The German company HDW/MAN Ferrostal had proposed a significantly lower price for the design and construction of its Class-214 submarines. According to German officials, only one company was allowed to bid for the Indian Navy's new submarine project. The officials said that all that they wanted was a "level playing field" so that one company could not "fix the price". The German company claimed that its product was not only superior to the Scorpene but also 25-30 per cent cheaper. The Indian Navy has said that it seriously considered the HDW submarine bid in 2002.

now wat u hav to say....
but temme seriously r french Govt. or ppl really wanna take the charge. or they might chg their plan cox of dere relation wid india and become under presuure

Regards
wid Respect

Bless u ALL

Last edited by a moderator:

amber

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Big-E said:
I can't confirm or deny if the French are taking over, but they are changing the administration. To answer why, the academy has been trying to fix the employment problems of the PMA cadets getting jobs with foreign flag carriers. They have been integrating the private sector to help integrate the cadets to meet the standards of the World Maritime University. Khan Ghouri didn't like the fact that cadets were having difficulty integrating on Western ships ie. lack of respect in a post 9/11 environment.

oh u mean u tryin to say is this tht , thru this now they can put check on those garduating people. aft all muslim hav this lable as a extremist one
??
one more thg, othr den this 9/11 incident , what u do think abt de' present standard of PMA ??isnt gud ??

Regards wid Respect Sir!!

contedicavour

amber said:
well Sir wid due respect i dont think so taking a charge of Pakistan Marine academy will put any sort of bad effect on indian deal wid french for Scorpene its jus tht France 've their own sort of relation wid India and Pakistan....

as far as my poor knowledge is concerned The Scorpene submarine deal India signed with France has had its share of controversy with German officials complaining that HDW, the German consortium, was not allowed to bid for the contract.

plus
The French were upset when the Indian government ignored the European consortium and opted for American Boeing commercial jets to refurbish the national carrier Air-India's ageing fleet. The Airbus deal is worth $2.4 billion.

Germany too has reasons to be happy with Indian Airlines deal as it is part of the European consortium. However, the Germans are extremely unhappy with the Scorpene deal. German officials said they were not even allowed to bid for the contract. They also emphasised that the Indian government's new defence procurement policy prohibited single-vendor supply for capital procurements. In fact, there was not even the bidding process, a normal practice when big international defence deals are negotiated. Germany's HDW was blacklisted by the Indian government for an unprecedented length of time as a case filed by the CBI dragged on in Indian courts. The case was closed only in early 2004, after 23 years. German officials hinted that vested interests saw to it that the matter remained unresolved so that HDW would remain blacklisted.

Like all big defence deals that India has entered into in recent years, the Scorpene deal has also generated its share of controversy. The French had lobbied for the deal for quite some time. The previous National Democratic Alliance (NDA) government had decided on the French-made submarines overlooking the claims of German and Russian manufacturers. The former National Security Adviser, Brajesh Mishra, had reportedly taken a personal interest in the matter. The NDA government decided to diversify arms purchases so as to gain the maximum political leverage in key countries.

Germany and Russia were the traditional suppliers of submarines for the Indian Navy. Companies from these countries had offered submarines, which they claimed were qualitatively better than the Scorpene, at a much cheaper price. The German company HDW/MAN Ferrostal had proposed a significantly lower price for the design and construction of its Class-214 submarines. According to German officials, only one company was allowed to bid for the Indian Navy's new submarine project. The officials said that all that they wanted was a "level playing field" so that one company could not "fix the price". The German company claimed that its product was not only superior to the Scorpene but also 25-30 per cent cheaper. The Indian Navy has said that it seriously considered the HDW submarine bid in 2002.

now wat u hav to say....
but temme seriously r french Govt. or ppl really wanna take the charge. or they might chg their plan cox of dere relation wid india and become under presuure

Regards
wid Respect

Bless u ALL
All that I know is that a lot of French naval and civilian personnel has been involved for a long time in submarine programmes with Pakistan, first the Daphne, then the Agosta, now the Agosta 90. I don't know to what extent this personnel is there to help with pure technical training on French subs, or if it is there for other types of training (such as tactical).
Furthermore, AFAIK, French role is limited to the submarine sector.
As already said, since most new surface ships will be improved F-22P Chinese frigates, I would have expected Chinese personnel to handle training on surface ships.
Concerning relations with India, let me say first of all that over here in Europe we all just hope Pakistani-Indian relations will continue to improve to the point that selling subs to one country does not offend its neighbor. However, for the moment, political issues still matter, and I would imagine nobody would want to appear as leaning too much on one side or the other, so I would be surprised that any country would want to "take over training in a military academy".

cheers

Big-E

Banned Member
amber said:
oh u mean u tryin to say is this tht , thru this now they can put check on those garduating people. aft all muslim hav this lable as a extremist one
??
one more thg, othr den this 9/11 incident , what u do think abt de' present standard of PMA ??isnt gud ??

Regards wid Respect Sir!!
The reason there going for outside help is to meet both problems. The graduates weren't being trained up to International standards and the fundamentalist graduates were not conducting themselves properly in a post 9/11 environment. Therefore they go to Western nations to bring not only technical training up-to-speed but also to change attitudes about the West.

While highlighting the negative impact of the events of 9/11 on the Pakistani Seafarers, Babar Ghouri advised the parents and guardians to "groom their sons and wards to refrain from such activities which created an unfavourable impact on the international community leading to difficulties in our integration with other nations."

IMHO I think the introduciton of private Western cooperation will bring much needed knowledge, experience, and cultural training to help those cadets obtain employment after graduation. Do not think that this is a takeover of the Pakistan Marine Academy by a foreign government, it is all private industry which has been invited at the behest the Minister for Ports and Shipping to get these sailors jobs.