Farewell to the RN's Sea Harriers

LancerMc

Unfortunately in this day and age to many capable aircraft and weapons systems are being retired too early for budgetary concerns and political reasons. The FA.2 Sea Harriers are probably the most well known of these latest cutbacks, and it is shame to see a great aircraft put out to pasture too early. :cry2

I am sure I am not as familiar as others on this site with the exploits of the fine men and women who served with RN's Sea Harrier units, but it should be noted they served their country with great distinction especially during the Falklands War in 1982. It is truly a shame to see such prestigious units be disbanded early.

It still puzzles me that MoD retired the Sea Harriers. While the Gr.7 & Gr.9 are excellent aircraft, neither are designed for fighter missions and not capable of BVR combat. The RN no longer has a fleet fighter aircraft while it would seem to me they would need one. The Type 45's are years away from service, the JSF program is slowly moving ahead, and the CVF program is still on paper. A fleet fighter would seem a necessity in this day in age. While some would say there is little need for fighters in the latest conflicts the UK has been involved in. Though it is normally better to be prepared and have what you need, then needing what you don't have.

Does any one have any interesting stories or facts about RN Sea Harriers. Though I have tried to read as much recently about them due to their retirement, I don't get much news and info except from the British publications I can get in the states.

:uk

Super Nimrod

Is it correct that none were ever lost in real air to air combat ? I know a few were shot down by ground fire which could happen to any aircraft no matter how hi-tech.

norinco89

Are the Harrier II also being replaced.

Depends if the Eurofighter is ski jump compatable. I think it is canapulted.

Super Nimrod

They are being replaced with the F-35 JSF, well thats the theory anyway. There will be an A2A capability gap until that time. :confused:

The JSF won't enter service until 2012-14 and thats only if they get over the current political problems which if they don't may lead to the RN/RAF withdrawing from the project. :hitwall What happens then has been the subject of much debate on other forums. We should know by Xmas.