Go Back   Defense Technology & Military Forum > Global Defense & Military > Navy & Maritime
Forgot Password? Join Us! Its's free!

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures

Miramar_14_MV-22_1621a.JPG

Miramar_14_MV-22_1726a.JPG

Miramar_14_MV-22_0074a1.JPG

Miramar_14_FA-18C_0409a.JPG
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

Recent Photos - DefenceTalk Military Gallery

f-35 lighting II & Canberra Class LHD capabilities?

This is a discussion on f-35 lighting II & Canberra Class LHD capabilities? within the Navy & Maritime forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; Australia is of course acquiring two LHDs as most of you probably already know. LHD stands for "landing helicopter dock" ...

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old January 7th, 2013   #1
Just Hatched
Private
Location: Some random HUGE island in the Oceanic region I guess.
Threads:
Thumbs up f-35 lighting II & Canberra Class LHD capabilities?

Australia is of course acquiring two LHDs as most of you probably already know. LHD stands for "landing helicopter dock" yet the LHDs have a runway and a ramp??? This might be a stupid question, but do you guys think that the F-35s we are getting in the future will be operational from these carriers? If any type of fixed wing aircraft are used on them, it will be a first for AUS in a while!
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
F-35 Multirole Joint Strike Fighter SABRE Air Force & Aviation 3087 April 7th, 2013 01:45 AM
Capabilities and data Comparision of AAM's ajay_ijn Air Force & Aviation 32 January 23rd, 2005 08:15 AM
Dehli Class vs Sovernmey dabrownguy Navy & Maritime 27 November 15th, 2004 04:19 AM
Compare Capabilities of Pak sub fleed and Indian Sub fleet Su_37 Navy & Maritime 6 January 27th, 2004 09:54 AM
(F3000S SAWARI II) CLASS MULTIPURPOSE AAW FRIGATE Oqaab Navy & Maritime 3 November 2nd, 2003 01:53 PM

Old January 7th, 2013   #2
Defense Professional / Analyst
General
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWX View Post
Australia is of course acquiring two LHDs as most of you probably already know. LHD stands for "landing helicopter dock" yet the LHDs have a runway and a ramp??? This might be a stupid question, but do you guys think that the F-35s we are getting in the future will be operational from these carriers? If any type of fixed wing aircraft are used on them, it will be a first for AUS in a while!
Welcome

This topic has been discussed in some depth (some would say to death) in the RAN Discussions and Updates thread, have a read and you will find all you could possibly need. (use the search function to narrow it down)

Short answer is the RAAF is only getting the land based F-35A which will not be able to fly off the Canberras and perhaps less obviously the internal arrangements of the LHDs do not permit the operation of STO/VL combat aircraft, i.e. fuel, magazines for ordinance and maintenance facilities. The ships may be able to land and fly off F-35B and Harriers but not operate them per say
Old January 7th, 2013   #3
Just Hatched
Private
Location: Some random HUGE island in the Oceanic region I guess.
Threads:
Okay, thanks!
Old January 7th, 2013   #4
Major General
Threads:
Australia ISN'T buying the STOVL variant and has no plans on doing so in the future IIRC. I seem to recall the Aus DOD actually denying that's what they planned on doing when someone else noticed the ramp, i'll see if I can find it. Wouldn't be surprised if I can't because i'm not particularly well brushed up on my Aus defence politics.

The ONLY reason the Canberra class have the STOVL ramp is because - this is what I've been told - it's structurally integral to the hull of the Spanish JC1.

It's not a bolt on accessory like what you find on a QEC, IIRC it was decided (or calculated, whatever) that the cost of removing the ramp was too expensive.

This would've been better in the RAN thread.
Old January 7th, 2013   #5
Defense Professional / Analyst
Lieutenant Colonel
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWX View Post
Hi Hawx, welcome to the site The short answer is no, you might see some possible cross decking from the USMC or the UK but that is about it.

The RAAF is aquiring the F-35A which is the conventional takeoff variant, the F-35B is required to operate from this type of vessell which is the short takeoff vertical landing variant.

Have a good read of the following threads, they have a wealth of discussion and information on this subject, and just a word of advise, read them as this subject comes up all the time and gets very tiresome, not saying that to palm you off, but it litteraly comes up every month or so

Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates

Sea trials, LHD (JCI)

A hypothetical carrier buy for the RAN?

These threads have a wealth of information, it is a lot of reading, but will have every imaginable bit of info you seek

Cheers
Old January 7th, 2013   #6
Grumpy Old Man
General
Threads:
Closed

Reasons already outlined by various members and other Mods

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"
http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
http://cofda.wordpress.com/
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread