Go Back   Defense Technology & Military Forum > Global Defense & Military > Navy & Maritime
Forgot Password? Join Us! Its's free!

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures

ExPB14_JAS-39_Gripen.jpg

ExPB14_Mirage2000.jpg

6_EXPB14_20140729_088_3_RSAF_F16s.jpg

5_EXPB14_20140729_143_3_RSAF_F-15SGs.jpg
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

Recent Photos - DefenceTalk Military Gallery

China Naval Modernization (Implications for US Naval Capabilities)

This is a discussion on China Naval Modernization (Implications for US Naval Capabilities) within the Navy & Maritime forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; Following is the report by US state department regarding the modernization of Chinese Navy aka PLAN. Even though such articals ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old December 2nd, 2005   #1
Super Moderator
Lieutenant General
Threads:
China Naval Modernization (Implications for US Naval Capabilities)

Following is the report by US state department regarding the modernization of Chinese Navy aka PLAN. Even though such articals belong in Prof.forums I am taking liberty to post it here. If felt necessary the thread might be moved to Prof. Forum [Limiting it to only expert members & the administration (Admin & Mods)]

Quote:

China Naval Modernization: Implications for US Naval Capabilities

US State Department
Thu, 1 Dec 2005, 00:33

Concern has grown in Congress and elsewhere about China’s military
modernization. The topic is an increasing factor in discussions over future required U.S. Navy capabilities. The issue for Congress addressed in this report is: 'How should China’s military modernization be factored into decisions about U.S. Navy programs?'

Several elements of China’s military modernization have potential implications for future required U.S. Navy capabilities. These include:
  • Theater-range ballistic missiles (TBMs)
  • Land-attack cruise missiles (LACMs)
  • Anti-ship cruise missiles (ASCMs)
  • Surface-to-air missiles (SAMs)
  • Land-based aircraft
  • Submarines
  • Surface combatants
  • Amphibious ships
  • Naval mines
  • Nuclear weapons
  • and possibly high-power microwave (HPM) devices.
China’s naval limitations or weaknesses include:
  • Capabilities for operatingin waters moredistant from China
  • Joint operations
  • C4ISR (command, control, communications, computers, intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance)
  • Long-range surveillance and targeting systems
  • Anti-air warfare (AAW)
  • Antisubmarine warfare (ASW)
  • Mine countermeasures(MCM)
  • and Logistics
Observers believe a near-term focus of China’s military modernization is to fielda force that can succeed in a short-duration conflict with Taiwan and act as an anti-access force to deter U.S. intervention or delaythe arrival of U.S. forces, particularly naval and air forces, in such a conflict. Some analysts speculate that China may attain (or believe that it has attained) a capable maritime anti-access force, or elements of it, by about 2010. Other observers believe this will happen later.

Potential broader or longer-term goals of China’s naval modernization include asserting China’s regional military leadership and protecting China’s maritime territorial, economic, and energy interests.

China’s naval modernization has potential implications for required U.S. Navy capabilities in terms of preparingfor aconflict in theTaiwan Strait area, maintaining U.S. Navy presence and military influence in the Western Pacific, and countering Chinese ballistic missile submarines. Preparing for a conflict in the Taiwan Strait area could place a premium on the following: on-station or early-arriving Navy forces, capabilities for defeating China’smaritime anti-access forces, and capabilities for operating in an environment that could be characterized by information warfare and possibly electromagnetic pulse (EMP) and the use of nuclear weapons.

Certain options are available for improving U.S. Navy capabilities by 2010; additional options, particularly in ship-building, can improve U.S. Navy capabilities in subsequent years. China’s naval modernization raises potential issues for Congress concerning the role of China in Department of Defense (DOD) and Navy planning; the size of the Navy; the Pacific Fleet’s share of the Navy; forward homeporting of Navy ships in the Western Pacific; the number of aircraft carriers, submarines, and ASW-capable platforms; Navymissile defense, air-warfare, AAW, ASW, and mine warfare programs; Navy computer network security; and EMP hardening of Navy systems. This report will be updated as events warrant.

The full report of 77 pages, in PDF format, is available here at DefenceTalk. If you are interested in the full report, follow the following link.

Link: http://www.defencetalk.com/news/publ...cle_004328.php
Source: DT News
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
China And France: Naval Exercises Winter Navy & Maritime 0 March 13th, 2004 05:22 PM

Old December 2nd, 2005   #2
Banned Member
Chief Warrant Officer
No Avatar
Threads:
Red face Re: China Naval Modernization

All I can say is the arms race is on.........
Crusader2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2005   #3
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
No Avatar
Threads:
Re: China Naval Modernization

Perhaps the India's leasing the Akulas from Russia has more to do with the PLAN than the Pakistani Navy. It seems that todays navies regard the submarine as the big budget version of asymetric warfare, the same way the Germans did in WW2 and the USSR did during the cold war.

[B]KGB have you even read the artical ? The artical is refering to the implications of PLAN modernization over USNavy not India (or Indian Navy) or any other country (or any other Navy). Stay focus on topic, do not derail it. I am leaving this post intact as a messege to other posters. Next off topic post would be deleted.[/B]

Last edited by SABRE; December 3rd, 2005 at 11:10 AM.
KGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2005   #4
Banned Member
Chief Warrant Officer
No Avatar
Threads:
Lightbulb Re: China Naval Modernization (Implications for US Naval Capabilities)

I wonder how much of the Chinese Navy's Modernization has to do with India's expanding Military?
Old December 4th, 2005   #5
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Re: China Naval Modernization (Implications for US Naval Capabilities)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader2000
I wonder how much of the Chinese Navy's Modernization has to do with India's expanding Military?
China Navy's Modernization don't target at India. So don't be panic, man !.
hesidu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2005   #6
Super Moderator
Lieutenant General
Threads:

Quote:
Crusader2000 what part of the messege I left under KGB's post you did not understand. Its not like I have writen some thing in Chinese, Hebrew, Aramic or Arabic. Its in english the Language it seems you very well know.

The Topic is based on implications of PLAN modernization on USNavy not Indian & you are attempting to divert the discussion. Let this be your 1st warning & remember 3 warnings & you are banned (thats the rule).

To me it seems like the 'topic' & the 'artical' is too much technical for the mind set of most of the members. I think it would be better to move it to Prof.Forums but I am giving it another shot. One more diversion & the thread would be out of regular member's hands.
Old December 4th, 2005   #7
Banned Member
Chief Warrant Officer
No Avatar
Threads:
Unhappy Re: China Naval Modernization (Implications for US Naval Capabilities)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABRE
Crusader2000 what part of the messege I left under KGB's post you did not understand. Its not like I have writen some thing in Chinese, Hebrew, Aramic or Arabic. Its in english the Language it seems you very well know.

The Topic is based on implications of PLAN modernization on USNavy not Indian & you are attempting to divert the discussion. Let this be your 1st warning & remember 3 warnings & you are banned (thats the rule).

To me it seems like the 'topic' & the 'artical' is too much technical for the mind set of most of the members. I think it would be better to move it to Prof.Forums but I am giving it another shot. One more diversion & the thread would be out of regular member's hands.

The title is China Naval Moderization (Implications for the US Navy) While this article maybe from a US point of view. My point was that other factors may influence China's Modernization? Which, inturn leads back to the original posting. I would sincerely hope we have some latitude...................
Old December 4th, 2005   #8
Super Moderator
Lieutenant General
Threads:

Quote:
The title is China Naval Moderization (Implications for the US Navy) While this article maybe from a US point of view. My point was that other factors may influence China's Modernization? Which, inturn leads back to the original posting. I would sincerely hope we have some latitude...................
Crusader2000 you must understand that the rules of the DT forums do not allow out of context & off topic discussions. The thread is based on PLAN & USNavy, therefore the discussion must be based around the two.

We understand that you & many other members want to discuss the implications of PLAN modernization on other Navies but we can not allow you or any one else to do so. How ever you can open up another thread & discuss implications of PLAN modernization on different navies & take some elements from the above artical to make your point.
Old December 4th, 2005   #9
Defense Professional / Analyst
Private First Class
No Avatar
Threads:

Quote:
[LEFT]Following is the report by US state department regarding the modernization of Chinese Navy aka PLAN. Even though such articals belong in Prof.forums I am taking liberty to post it here. If felt necessary the thread might be moved to Prof. Forum [Limiting it to only expert members & the administration (Admin & Mods)]
For a pictorial representation of much of this...please take a look at the following site:

THE RISING SEA DRAGON IN ASIA

Hope its informative for anyone viewing the pages there. Took quite a bit of work.
Jeff Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2005   #10
Banned Member
Chief Warrant Officer
No Avatar
Threads:

Quote:
Crusader2000 you must understand that the rules of the DT forums do not allow out of context & off topic discussions. The thread is based on PLAN & USNavy, therefore the discussion must be based around the two.

We understand that you & many other members want to discuss the implications of PLAN modernization on other Navies but we can not allow you or any one else to do so. How ever you can open up another thread & discuss implications of PLAN modernization on different navies & take some elements from the above artical to make your point.

Understood...........................
Old December 4th, 2005   #11
Super Moderator
Lieutenant Colonel
No Avatar
Threads:

China's immediate threats are USA and Japan. India is probably on its mind, but nothing more than that. All of China's naval expansion has pretty much being aimed at incuring damage on US pacific fleet.
tphuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2005   #12
Banned Member
Chief Warrant Officer
No Avatar
Threads:
Red face Re: China Naval Modernization (Implications for US Naval Capabilities)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tphuang
China's immediate threats are USA and Japan. India is probably on its mind, but nothing more than that. All of China's naval expansion has pretty much being aimed at incuring damage on US pacific fleet.

I would have to think that India is a little more than just on China's mind? Especially, with her closer Military ties with the US.
Old December 6th, 2005   #13
Troll Hunter
General
Threads:
Exclamation Re: China Naval Modernization (Implications for US Naval Capabilities)

Folks, we are all grown ups here, right? So, why take the thread into off topic land when it doesn't need to go there?

For Indians: No body is after India, this thread doesn't even concern India. It deals with CHINA Navy > Implication on > US Navy < see NO INDIA at all. And with the subject title clearly saying China navy's implication on US Navy, any five year old can figure out that this topic isn't about India, so why experiment?

Sorry if you feel like crying but sometimes we have to treat some adults as if they are kids to make them understand because it is very frustrating that multiple people have to point out same thing plus the title clearly mentioning but still people want to try their luck and want to drag the topic to what 'they' want to discuss.

Now, I don't want anyone to feel apologetic or feel sorry for us or themselves, all we need and request is that we stick to the topic which is? Guess? CHINA NAVY implications for US Navy. There is no 3rd navy involved, there is no middle man, US has not outsourced its Navy to India, yet. SO relax.

Please carry on!

Got a problem? Need help? Contact me!
WebMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005   #14
Banned Member
Chief Warrant Officer
No Avatar
Threads:
Red face Re: China Naval Modernization (Implications for US Naval Capabilities)

Sorry, but in my opinion your making any debate way to narrow. The title "China Naval Modernation (Implication for the USN) Well, the USN Stratergy always includes Regional and Global Allies. You can't just narrow such a broad topic to just two parts. (i.e. black and white) Your talking about a large and very complex subject. While I can surely understand why you need to keep members on topic. On the otherhand the whole point of the Forum is to have a meaningful discussion........................Personally, I will comply as long as I am a member. If, it continue to be so restrictive I may decide to go elsewhere..............
Old December 6th, 2005   #15
Troll Hunter
General
Threads:

Crusader, thanks for understanding. It is not being strict but only allowing people to keep the subject in perspective. I understand that people from all countries have high patriotic values and I respect that but they belong and should be discussed when such topic arise and they do. Which is completely fine.

I also know that you can't discuss black and white and there is always that gray matter which is also okay but we must not forgot the subject. How does China's implication on US navy effect India? Thats a good question and who could better answer but you or many other participants here?

Indian Navy is a potent force but that does not mean it needs to be discussed in any topic talking about Navy or even rival navies.

Regards

Got a problem? Need help? Contact me!
WebMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: