Biggest submarine after Typhoon class?

Wall83

When the Russian navy finaly decommison all the Typhoon (Akula) class SSBNs what submarine will the hold the record for being the biggest?

In pure mass it should be the russian Oscar II SSGN class but then its shorter then all the russian and most of western SSBNs. The new russian Borei class has a lengh of 170m but so does the U.S Ohio class. Ohio has more displacement when surfaced (16.000 tons) in comparement with the borei (14.000 tons). The Borei has more when its submerged (24.000 tons), Ohio (18.700 tons).

Its a very close match.

harryriedl

Verified Defense Pro
I belive according to Wiki It the Ohio followed by the Vangard Classes which are the next biggest Subs after the Typhoon Class

Wall83

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I belive according to Wiki It the Ohio followed by the Vangard Classes which are the next biggest Subs after the Typhoon Class
Vangard class is alot smaller then the Borei, more in the size of a russian Delta III class submarine but shorter.

nevidimka

When the Russian navy finaly decommison all the Typhoon (Akula) class SSBNs what submarine will the hold the record for being the biggest?

In pure mass it should be the russian Oscar II SSGN class but then its shorter then all the russian and most of western SSBNs. The new russian Borei class has a lengh of 170m but so does the U.S Ohio class. Ohio has more displacement when surfaced (16.000 tons) in comparement with the borei (14.000 tons). The Borei has more when its submerged (24.000 tons), Ohio (18.700 tons).

Its a very close match.

I'm a bit confused over the displacement disparity of submarines when surfaced and submerged, like this above case. Does it mean that out of the water, the Borei is lesser in mass compared to Ohio?

I'm a bit confused over the displacement disparity of submarines when surfaced and submerged, like this above case. Does it mean that out of the water, the Borei is lesser in mass compared to Ohio?
It means that Ohios are heavier when surfaced (something like "dry weight"?... don't know what the navy lingo is for this), and Boreis are larger by pure volume.

nevidimka

It means that Ohios are heavier when surfaced (something like "dry weight"?... don't know what the navy lingo is for this), and Boreis are larger by pure volume.
Wouldnt that mean that due to pure volume, it is able to take in more water when submerging, hence displacing more weight when submerged? Wouldnt that also point to the fact that Borei's can go deeper than the Ohio's?

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Wouldnt that also point to the fact that Borei's can go deeper than the Ohio's?
The submerged displacement means the exact weight of the water the submarine displaces when underwater. The density shift of liquids (water) under pressure is marginal (e.g. about 1% more dense at 200 bar, i.e. at 2000 m depth, compared to the surface). Once you're heavier than the water you displace you pretty much sink all the way to the bottom, no matter how much heavier. The heavier than the displaced water you are the faster you sink, that's about it.

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Objects always displace that part of their volume that is underwater. Which of course with a swimming object is their weight, otherwise it wouldn't swim.

fire50

Banned Member
Sounds interesting, but you can send some sort of pics then really appreciate to you. Do you have pics for those awesome moments?