ASW technologies sensor

andelony

Hi all,

I am currently trying to research into ASW technologies on ships. I am more interested in the submarine detection technologies, such as utilising the use of acoustics sonar or MAD which are usually used on aircrafts.

As far as sonar is concerned, i have done my research and found out that sonar can be categorised into 2 areas: passive and active. I am currently trying to establish the advantages and disadvantages of the use of the different active sonar applications, such as HMS, Towed Array Sonar (TAS), sonobuoy and active dipping sonar.

I am trying to do a comparison between HMS and TAS and have been trying to find out the advantages and disadvantages of HMS and TAS. However, all i could fins is that HMS is good for non-straight ship route but it can be affected by the acoustic noises from the ship itself. For TAS, it is only suitable for straight paths so that the array of hydrophone will not be affected.

For the comparison between sonobuoy and active dipping sonar, i cannot find much except that sonobuoy is expendable and is only valid within a localised area. Whereas, the active dipping sonar can have variable depths, depending on the mission requirement and sea conditions, however it can be affected by the acoustic noises from the ocean.

I have read a number of books and tried to find many sites to find more information the above 4 sensors, but to no avail. Therefore, i hope that i can tap on your expertise to help me with my comparison between HMS and TAS, and between sonobuoy and dipping sonar.

Thanks for your help!

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Honestly, except for some very general information, not much will be available on ASW technologies and techniques. At least, not in the public domain.

Submarine and EW operations are a couple of areas where people with direct/specific knowledge tend to stay very quiet. From an operational POV, such forces behave much like various special forces/special operations, in that they do not speak of what or how they do specific things. To do so could provide information which could then be exploited.

andelony

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hi Todjaeger,

Thank you for your feedback. Yeah i understand about the confidentiality behind these technologies, but i am not trying to get into specifics into these methods. I am just trying to understand why would some vessels prefer TAS to HMV, and vice versa, and the same goes for the preference for sonobuoys or dipping sonar. I believe there are some general traits within these technologies that are open to the public. For instance, some ships might prefer HMV to TAS as it is integrated as part of the ship whereas the latter is not (i might be wrong about this).

What i am trying to find out is just the general traits of each technologies which my research requires, which i hope you guys can help! =)

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Try a search using Google Scholar. I have had some success using it to find information regarding sonar. There is not much but it is helpful in providing leads. There is quite a bit of information freely available regarding the science of sound in water because I have used it in some scientific research that I did some years back. If you are able to learn about and understand the basics of the science then you will find it easier to research your topic. Good luck.