Arresting wire retraction on US carriers

congoflood

I'm curious to know the reason behind something I've seen several times on documentaries about US carriers...

After an aircraft has successfully trapped and the arrestor wire has been released from the tailhook, as the wire is retracting a green-shirt crewman uses something shaped like a broom to push the cable along the deck. What purpose does this serve?

It's fascinating that such a complex procedure still requires such a low-tech element and I would love to know why.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can explain this.

Sea Toby

I'm curious to know the reason behind something I've seen several times on documentaries about US carriers...

After an aircraft has successfully trapped and the arrestor wire has been released from the tailhook, as the wire is retracting a green-shirt crewman uses something shaped like a broom to push the cable along the deck. What purpose does this serve?

It's fascinating that such a complex procedure still requires such a low-tech element and I would love to know why.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can explain this.

The flight deck isn't as flat as it appears. There are many for a lack of a better word things attached to the deck which the aircraft wheels are chained to, to keep the aircraft from rolling across the deck. A good photo of a flight deck will show them. The crew uses the broom to sweep the cable from snatching on them.... Simple, low technology....

There is a proper term or word, but at the moment I can't think of the word.

Think of a board with nails sticking up just a bit, a sixteen of an inch. Then try to slide a string from one end of the board to another. Then use a brush to sweep the string over the nails.....

I understand this is much too simple, but that is why.... While the cable retractor has some force, its not as powerful as one would imagine.... A little help does wonders....

sorry if this is mundane/tangent, but i was always curious about the details...

is there a 'parking brake' equivalent on naval fighters - for when stationed on the deck (or carrier hanger) - that is used along with the tie-downs?