Go Back   Defense Technology & Military Forum > Global Defense & Military > Navy & Maritime
Forgot Password? Join Us! Its's free!

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces






Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures

Miramar_14_MV-22_1965a.JPG

Miramar_14_MV-22_0358a.JPG

Miramar_14_GR4_1646a.JPG

Miramar_14_LF_0221a.JPG
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence







Recent Photos - DefenceTalk Military Gallery





About the aircraft carrier plan of China

This is a discussion on About the aircraft carrier plan of China within the Navy & Maritime forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; About 1 month ago,it is said that China will build their aircraft carrier and they bought 50 su-33 from Russia.Yesterday,the ...


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old December 7th, 2006   #1
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 13
Threads:
About the aircraft carrier plan of China

About 1 month ago,it is said that China will build their aircraft carrier and they bought 50 su-33 from Russia.Yesterday,the news from HongKong said the plan is canceled.The navy of China will concerated on submarine and destroyer.Is there any one know more about this?
bjskyhorse is offline  
Old December 7th, 2006   #2
Defense Enthusiast
Master Sergeant
LancerMc's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Evansville, Indiana U.S.A.
Posts: 390
Threads:
I was completely unaware of that news. I haven't heard any information about the canceled sale. Google hasn't even turned anything up about the news.
LancerMc is offline  
Old December 7th, 2006   #3
The Wanderer
Major
robsta83's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Norway
Posts: 909
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjskyhorse View Post
About 1 month ago,it is said that China will build their aircraft carrier and they bought 50 su-33 from Russia.Yesterday,the news from HongKong said the plan is canceled.The navy of China will concerated on submarine and destroyer.Is there any one know more about this?
Got a link, or was it a news story on Television?
________________
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
robsta83 is offline  
Old December 7th, 2006   #4
Super Moderator
Lieutenant Colonel
No Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,133
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjskyhorse View Post
About 1 month ago,it is said that China will build their aircraft carrier and they bought 50 su-33 from Russia.Yesterday,the news from HongKong said the plan is canceled.The navy of China will concerated on submarine and destroyer.Is there any one know more about this?
don't believe anything coming out of Hong Kong regarding to PLA. So no, they are not cancelling on their carrier plan.
tphuang is offline  
Old December 7th, 2006   #5
New Member
Private
arunjsamuel's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 21
Threads:
i dont think china has cancelled the plan to built the aircraft carrier...but it will take quite a long time...i think without foriegn help they cant built it soon..so we will have to wait for another 5 to 10 yrs....
arunjsamuel is offline  
Old December 7th, 2006   #6
Defense Enthusiast
Master Sergeant
No Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 397
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tphuang View Post
don't believe anything coming out of Hong Kong regarding to PLA. So no, they are not cancelling on their carrier plan.
no. its not originally from HK. its from russian news actually.
i have the link. i post it later when i recall where it went.
qwerty223 is offline  
Old December 7th, 2006   #7
Defense Aficionado
Lieutenant General
contedicavour's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Paris/Geneva (but I'm Italian)
Posts: 2,901
Threads:
With the Japanese already very nervous about N. Korea it could be a temporary decision meant for appeasement...
Anyway it will take a good decade to complete a carrier, so why not do something diplomatically smart and announce the carrier is "called off"... next year they can just say they changed their mind

cheers
contedicavour is offline  
Old December 7th, 2006   #8
Defense Aficionado
Major General
aaaditya's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: india
Posts: 2,362
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by contedicavour View Post
With the Japanese already very nervous about N. Korea it could be a temporary decision meant for appeasement...
Anyway it will take a good decade to complete a carrier, so why not do something diplomatically smart and announce the carrier is "called off"... next year they can just say they changed their mind

cheers
i dont think china would bother about the apeasement of japan,it is more likely that they have experienced some technical difficulties.
________________
howdy guys
aaaditya is offline  
Old December 8th, 2006   #9
Defense Enthusiast
Corporal
No Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 185
Threads:
If you guys really want answers, ask the guy who made the claim
wp2000 is offline  
Old December 8th, 2006   #10
Defense Enthusiast
Corporal
No Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: California USA
Posts: 115
Threads:
I know this is a bit off the topic, but China is working on a few new toys for its Navy, and yes that includes Aircraft carriers (They studied the Varyag for over a decade) and new SSBNs.


China Moves Ahead on New SSN Design

December 8, 2006: Having got its first two new, 7,000 ton, 093 class SSNs (nuclear attack subs) to sea, China is apparently underwhelmed by their performance. The 093s are too noisy, and have a long list of more minor defects as well. This may mean only two 093s will be built, while more resources will be diverted to the next SSN class; the 095. The 093 and 094 (the new SSBN, carrying ballistic missiles) were both over a decade in development and construction. Work began on the 094 class in the 1990s. For years, all that was known was that the Chinese were having technical problems with the new design. The 094 is a modern SSBN, using technology bought from Russia, plus what was developed by the Chinese in their earlier nuclear submarine building efforts. The Chinese have had a hard time building reliable nuclear subs, but they are determined to acquire the needed skills. You do that by doing it, and eating your mistakes.


The 094 is similar to the 093 class SSN, which looks a lot like the three decade old Russian Victor III class SSN design. Taking a SSN design and adding extra compartments to hold the ballistic missiles is an old trick, pioneered by the United States in the 1950s to produce the first SSBNs. The Chinese appear to have done the same thing with their new SSN, creating a larger SSBN boat of 9,000 tons displacement. Priority was apparently given to construction of the 094, as having nuclear missiles able to reach the United States gives China more diplomatic clout than some new SSNs.


The JL-2 ballistic missile for the 094 is still in development, even though the first 094 class SSBN to carry it was launched two years ago. The JL-2 has a range of 8,000 kilometers, and would enable China to aim missiles at any target in the United States from a 094 sub cruising off Hawaii or Alaska. Each 094 boat will carry 16 of these missiles, which are naval versions of the existing land based DF-31 ICBM.


The first 094 boat should be ready for service in two years, or less. It all depends on how soon the JL-2 missiles are ready for deployment. Things can go wrong with these new missiles, as the Russians learned with their latest SSBN design. The planned Russian missile did not work, and a new one, based on a successful land based ICBM (the Topol series) was used instead. But this required rebuilding of the new subs missile tubes, thus delaying the new subs construction. If the Chinese are lucky, they will have two or three 094s in service by the end of the decade, and as many 093 SSNs as well.


The 095 class SSNs are still in the design stage, and Russia is apparently offering some excellent SSN technology, at a price. China is still learning when it comes to building nuclear subs, so they may be forced to pay the Russians what they want, if the 095 is to be ready for service in the next decade.
SATAN is offline  
Old December 9th, 2006   #11
Defense Enthusiast
Master Sergeant
LancerMc's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Evansville, Indiana U.S.A.
Posts: 390
Threads:
Carriers and SSBN's are going to be the cornerstone of the PLAN's new blue water navy in the next few decades. Thats if they ever make it into service. You right SATAN the PLAN has had serious difficulties in building nuclear submarines in the past. With recent news its seem though they have become quite adapt at building silent conventional subs.

If the development of both the 94 and a future carrier hit serious delays or production problems China could face a battle for regional supremacy from India and its future naval ambitions. I still find it surprising that India has invested so much time and hard currency in the development of a new carrier, while China seems to be taking its time in developing one.
LancerMc is offline  
Old December 9th, 2006   #12
Junior Member
Private First Class
Francis's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 59
Threads:
On my opinion and all the information i gathered , Instead of an Aircraft Carrier China will probably focus on surface combatants since the aircraft carrier and carrier battle groups were designed for Cold War scenarios. And because the ongoing battles of the 21st Century are mostly urban combat. not naval.
Francis is offline  
Old December 9th, 2006   #13
Defense Professional / Analyst
General
Waylander's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Kiel, Schleswig-Holstein
Posts: 4,681
Threads:
You are comparing naval strategies with MOUT operations?
Waylander is offline  
Old December 9th, 2006   #14
Super Moderator
Lieutenant Colonel
No Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,133
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATAN View Post
I know this is a bit off the topic, but China is working on a few new toys for its Navy, and yes that includes Aircraft carriers (They studied the Varyag for over a decade) and new SSBNs.


China Moves Ahead on New SSN Design

December 8, 2006: Having got its first two new, 7,000 ton, 093 class SSNs (nuclear attack subs) to sea, China is apparently underwhelmed by their performance. The 093s are too noisy, and have a long list of more minor defects as well. This may mean only two 093s will be built, while more resources will be diverted to the next SSN class; the 095. The 093 and 094 (the new SSBN, carrying ballistic missiles) were both over a decade in development and construction. Work began on the 094 class in the 1990s. For years, all that was known was that the Chinese were having technical problems with the new design. The 094 is a modern SSBN, using technology bought from Russia, plus what was developed by the Chinese in their earlier nuclear submarine building efforts. The Chinese have had a hard time building reliable nuclear subs, but they are determined to acquire the needed skills. You do that by doing it, and eating your mistakes.


The 094 is similar to the 093 class SSN, which looks a lot like the three decade old Russian Victor III class SSN design. Taking a SSN design and adding extra compartments to hold the ballistic missiles is an old trick, pioneered by the United States in the 1950s to produce the first SSBNs. The Chinese appear to have done the same thing with their new SSN, creating a larger SSBN boat of 9,000 tons displacement. Priority was apparently given to construction of the 094, as having nuclear missiles able to reach the United States gives China more diplomatic clout than some new SSNs.


The JL-2 ballistic missile for the 094 is still in development, even though the first 094 class SSBN to carry it was launched two years ago. The JL-2 has a range of 8,000 kilometers, and would enable China to aim missiles at any target in the United States from a 094 sub cruising off Hawaii or Alaska. Each 094 boat will carry 16 of these missiles, which are naval versions of the existing land based DF-31 ICBM.


The first 094 boat should be ready for service in two years, or less. It all depends on how soon the JL-2 missiles are ready for deployment. Things can go wrong with these new missiles, as the Russians learned with their latest SSBN design. The planned Russian missile did not work, and a new one, based on a successful land based ICBM (the Topol series) was used instead. But this required rebuilding of the new subs missile tubes, thus delaying the new subs construction. If the Chinese are lucky, they will have two or three 094s in service by the end of the decade, and as many 093 SSNs as well.


The 095 class SSNs are still in the design stage, and Russia is apparently offering some excellent SSN technology, at a price. China is still learning when it comes to building nuclear subs, so they may be forced to pay the Russians what they want, if the 095 is to be ready for service in the next decade.
why do you post this without citing source?
http://strategypage.com/htmw/htsub/a...spx?comments=Y
It's just another really bad article coming out of strategypage.
tphuang is offline  
Old December 9th, 2006   #15
Junior Member
Private First Class
Francis's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 59
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
You are comparing naval strategies with MOUT operations?
where you referring to me? or to another member?
Francis is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:09 AM.