8-inche gun

LondoBell

So recently I was reading G2-mil. Yes I know that it garners a lot of hate and that peopel do think the author is something of a loony.

Still, why no the 8 inch gun?
(Bit of Background)
The 8 inch gun (I do believe with an auto loader like the mk45) was tested on the USS Hull. The thing was called the MK 71 I think. The hull on the USS Hull was stressed I think so by all the firing so they stopped it. But the Arleigh and Ticonderogas are (or should be) a bit more sturdy right (and add a few upgrades to the gun)?

Also, I think the navy is trying to put up a 5 inch shell with extra range.

AegisFC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The plan was to install the gun on the Spruance class but all that space was taken up by MK-41 VLS, which was considered a more important system.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
So recently I was reading G2-mil. Yes I know that it garners a lot of hate and that peopel do think the author is something of a loony.

Still, why no the 8 inch gun?
(Bit of Background)
The 8 inch gun (I do believe with an auto loader like the mk45) was tested on the USS Hull. The thing was called the MK 71 I think. The hull on the USS Hull was stressed I think so by all the firing so they stopped it. But the Arleigh and Ticonderogas are (or should be) a bit more sturdy right (and add a few upgrades to the gun)?

Also, I think the navy is trying to put up a 5 inch shell with extra range.
5" extended range shells already exist, in several different versions. I believe either the US is attempting to develop their own, or is working on getting some of the Italian developments into USN service.

The family of ammunition is known as Vulcano, which also has types of 76 mm and 155 mm munitions within the 'family'.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
The question is "For what?".

If it's about precise support against landbased assets 127mm precision ammunition like the mentioned GPS, laser or IR guided Vulcano ammo by OTO is your way to go. Add some NLOS capability to the LCS (Like Spike-NLOS or Type 96 MPMS) and your good to go. The 155mm on the Zumwalts will also add some punch although few will be in service.

If it's just about puttig HE onto some grid coordinates some 20rpm 127mm will do just fine.

A 203mm solution will cost money and take away precious space on surface combatants.

PCShogun

An 8 inch shell means more HE on impact to the target which potentially leads to more collateral damage. In the current political climate, that is a bad thing to see on CNN. The emphasis now is on smaller explosive payloads with much greater precision.

EnigmaNZ

Back in the days of the Mk71 the Navy wanted a gun able to deliver accurate heavy gunfire support. The 8 inch seemed the way to go. But the gun just wasn't accurate enough at long range. Ashore you could have battalions of heavy artillery to lay down fire support knowing the accassional shell will land on target. At sea you have a limited supply of guns and rounds and are firing from extreme range. The idea was canceled and other options were looked at. The range of the 8 inch was not much greater than the ER 5 inch projectile, and the higher rate of fire of the latter meant more rounds on target and a bigger ammo supply. Guided 5 inch rocket assisted projectiles meant lobbing a shell on target with your first hit was becoming possible at long range. The smaller explosive charge caused less damage to untended targets. Google Mk 71 8 inch gun.