Go Back   Defense Technology & Military Forum > Global Defense & Military > Missiles & WMDs
Forgot Password? Join Us! Its's free!

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures

Nellis_14_1162-1.JPG

Nellis_14_2512-1.JPG

Nellis_14_0051-1.JPG

Nellis_14_1085-1.JPG
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

Recent Photos - DefenceTalk Military Gallery

Seeking to Identify a Type of Missile or Rocket

This is a discussion on Seeking to Identify a Type of Missile or Rocket within the Missiles & WMDs forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; Hi, I purchased what looks to be the shell of a missile or rocket at an antiques fair and I ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old April 24th, 2013   #1
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Seeking to Identify a Type of Missile or Rocket

Hi, I purchased what looks to be the shell of a missile or rocket at an antiques fair and I was hoping someone on this forum might help me identify what kind or rocket or missile it is. Attached are some photos of the writing on the side of the item. Any help or suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (527.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg photo-1.jpg (560.4 KB, 29 views)
clinton150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pakistans misssile defence systems meh Space & Defense Technology 29 September 14th, 2009 08:32 AM
Iran missile development and news hovercraft Missiles & WMDs 30 August 5th, 2006 06:32 AM
Malaysian Navy Seaskua missile test failed Adler Navy & Maritime 13 March 28th, 2006 08:03 AM
World's Best Missile Defence Destroyer Army & Security Forces 20 January 29th, 2005 11:42 AM
Vaunted Patriot Missile Has a 'Friendly Fire' Failing ullu Army & Security Forces 2 April 22nd, 2003 08:53 AM

Old April 25th, 2013   #2
Deaf talker?
General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by clinton150 View Post
Hi, I purchased what looks to be the shell of a missile or rocket at an antiques fair and I was hoping someone on this forum might help me identify what kind or rocket or missile it is. Attached are some photos of the writing on the side of the item. Any help or suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.
That looks like part of a MIM-72, a SAM based off the AIM-9D 'Sidewinder' air to air missile and was launched from the M-48 Chaparral, which was itself based off the M-113 family of vehicles. The MIM-72 entered service around 1969 and was withdrawn in the 90's.

-Cheers
Old April 25th, 2013   #3
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todjaeger View Post
That looks like part of a MIM-72, a SAM based off the AIM-9D 'Sidewinder' air to air missile and was launched from the M-48 Chaparral, which was itself based off the M-113 family of vehicles. The MIM-72 entered service around 1969 and was withdrawn in the 90's.

-Cheers
Agreed, that part number shows up as SPECIFIC USAGE DESIGN, MIM-72C GUIDED MISSILE

Apparently you can buy the working motor too, if you wanted one.
PCShogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013   #4
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Chaparral

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinton150 View Post
I think it's a MIM-72C GUIDED MISSILE (Chaparral). It was a 5 inch AA missile
(sidewinder) launched from a modified M-113.
After posting this, I realized someone had already posted an answer. Sorry for being redundant.

Last edited by Bronco46; May 2nd, 2013 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Adding content.
Bronco46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: