Saudi Arabia buys DF21

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
I missed this story at the time - http://www.newsweek.com/exclusive-cia-helped-saudis-secret-chinese-missile-deal-227283

It's sort of extraordinary in many ways if the DF21 is truly the nemesis of the USN carriers. I couldn't find any other sources other than that article, everything else was a rehash.

Is it true? Does anyone know more?
It might be. Saudi Arabia has (or had) a version of the DF-3 around the time of the first Gulf War. IIRC they purchased a dozen launch vehicles for their conventional version of the DF-3A. I remember reading about Israel exchanging information with the PRC about the Saudi Arabian missiles c. 1991 as they were working on the Arrow ABM system.

STURM

In ''Desert Warrior: A Personal View of the Gulf War by the Joint Forces Commander'' Prince Khalid explains the decision to buy the DF-3 and how negotiations were carried out. The missiles were aimed at Iran and the Chinese made in clear that nuke warheads were not be supplied. It seems the Americans only discovered the sale when an American satellite that was snooping on a Chinese missiles site picked up bearded men [Saudis undergoing training] in the facility.