Russia Tests New Reentry Vehicle Said Designed to Penetrate U.S. Defenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

faheem

Exclamation Russia Tests New Reentry Vehicle Said Designed to Penetrate U.S. Defenses

Russia on last Saturday test-launched a new warhead designed to penetrate U.S. missile defenses. The warhead was launched aboard a K65M-R missile from the Kapustin Yar testing ground in the southern Astrakhan region. The K65M (R-14) is a launcher used to deliver satellites to orbit. Itar-Tass quotes Colonel-General Nikolai Solovtsov, commander of Russia’s Strategic Rocket Forces, who noted that the test involved optic and radar measurement systems that reproduce U.S. missile defense systems. Kommersant reported that the test was made with the K65-M launcher as opposed to a newer Topol-M for cost reasons, and that only one Topol-M per year would be test launched, for operating purposes.

“Saturday, we began official flight tests for the…arming of promising missile systems which will go into service in 2008,” Ivanov was quoted by the Itar-Tass news agency as saying when he reported to Russian President Vladimir Putin, “that is of landmark significance for us and the country.” Ivanov added that “The deviation [from target] did not exceed several hundred meters, which is a good result for the first launch. The warhead dummy arrived at the preset point at a distance of more than 2,000 kilometers at the Balkhash test field in Kazakhstan, leased by Russia.”

The warhead tested is apparently under consideration for use on both land and sea-based missiles, presumably the Topol-M and Bulava. The trajectory on which it is tested makes use of many radars at the Sary Shagan site.

source www.missilethreat.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Big-E

Banned Member
Did they test it against chemical lasers? I didn't think so. I wish they would quit wasting money on these uneeded systems and defuel the 200 reactors that are polluting the Kola peninsula. They said they needed western assitance yet they use the aid to build this.:confused:

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Faheem,

Read the rules:
http://www.defencetalk.com/forums/rules.php

Very simple and clear...

Also, incase you don't read the rules.

YOU MUST include YOUR comments and personal input/opinion when posting articles.

This time, I will lock the thread and it will be open in 24 to 36 hours so it gives you enough time to think about what I wrote here. Do it again and it will be deleted, no warnings. Do it after that and you will be banned.

Again, your comments are VERY IMPORTANT when you post an article.

It gives your thread a direction and also gives the reader one more reason to reply to your thread and your comments stimulate discussion further. Am I making sense? Sorry, if you feel my request is rude, etc. but this is what we have to do in order to keep standard of the forum up and also enforce the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.